Skip to main content
Topic: Smoke Tester (Read 19291 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smoke Tester

Reply #16
PCBs are here, will be building this one soon :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #17
Hi Ian,

How did the assembly go, I just picked up the PCB using my coupon and am looking for some tips on how to avoid smoking my smoke tester ;-)

Cheers,
Tom

Reply #18
Build was fine, but I have not had a new USB prototype to test it with yet (my main goal).
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #19
I've completed my free pcb drawer version of the board, am quite pleased although the OCD in me wants the parts to be better aligned - need a P&P machine!

A few comments about the PCB, some of which will have been fixed with the ATX breakout.  I always provide feedback, discard as necessary.
- The screw terminal inputs are not labelled with +/-
- The pads for the banana connectors are too small for the model I have, am concerned about cutting through the solder mask and shorting the outputs.
- The pads for the banana connectors are too close together for the model connector I have, I had to shave a little off with a knife.
- There are a lot of different sizes components on the board, I think the LEDs are 0805 (I used 0603), all the passives but the current sense resistors are 0603, the current sense resistors are 1206.  Would be easier to be more consistent.
- The silkscreen for the jumper position is  a long way from the jumper, perhaps swap it with one of the logos?

I think a diode in the path of the screw terminals/barrel connector would make the board safer.

[attachment=0]

Reply #20
very nice! The smoke logo were too big to be placed on the right that's why. I should made another smaller logo for that and swap it with the jumper settings label

Nice work

Reply #21
So, I recently built a Smoke Tester, quite a nice little device!
I especially like the flexibility that the 3 parallell load resistors gives, with the too small banana jack holes as the main negative.

More feedback and photo at my blog.

Reply #22
By the way, what values are R13/R14 supposed to be?
Can't find it in the schematics... Or am I missing something?

Reply #23
Just about 20R