Skip to main content
Topic: ATX Breakout board (Read 6313 times) previous topic - next topic

ATX Breakout board

Where did you get the ATX board connector from? I have been looking for one for a while? Also the connectors? Do you have part numbers?

Thanks

Trev

Re: ATX Breakout board

Reply #1
We found the atx connector on mouser: http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mole ... t89Rl9U%3d

the binding post was a bit more difficult. We found some on our shenzhen trip in april and gave them to seeed. They found a local source I guess.

Reply #2
Thanks. Those connectors are quite expensive.

Reply #3
I like the board, will get one with my next order :-).

Do you have a BOM with  a list of the parts ?

For example I may want to replace the polyfuses with some higher current ones, knowing the precise part number makes it easier to locate a higher current alternative. Also, the biding posts look good, I might be interested to order some for other projects.
Markus

Reply #4
I was looking at the photo of the breakout board on SEEED  along with the BOM listed in the  the documentation. Both imply that the same fuse (2amp??)  was used on all outputs.  The issue I see is that the -5v and -12v  are rated by the ATX power supply guidelines respectively at  .3  & .8amps    While the +12v, +5v & +3.3v capacity will vary based on the powers supplies total wattage capability, the -5v & -12v ratings are fixed at the previously stated levels.    My point being, using the same 2amp fuse for  -5v & -12v  provides no protection.

Reply #5
Binding posts are common devices. I think Radioshack even carries them.

Reply #6
I updated the partlist with some links, and added teh switch and connector to the master partlist wiki:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/ATX ... #Partslist

The fuses should be 1.25amps. If you see docs or anything with different please let me know. I wanted 2amp+, but they are practically unobtainable.

@RichF - you're totally right, some PSUs won't have the current to requite a fuse on the negative rails. The one we're using is just barely over at 1.5amps on -12 (no -5).

In china the best we could do was 1.25 amps for the 12 volt (rated 16 or so) rail. Higher currents were available for the 3.3 and 5volt rails, but we wanted to be consistent to avoid confusion. At mouser you can find a few polyfuses in the 2amp range, but not much higher, and they are very expensive (even 1.25amps were 0.75 each I think).
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #7
I'm planning for polyfuses in a project and found that you can get high current polyfuses (I'need 6-8 Amps), but only in through-hole configuration. The are not that expensive (25ct/piece). The highest current available is 30 Amps.

Littelfuse is one of the manufacturers.
Markus

Reply #8
I noticed the pth fuses too. I,ll grab some on my next mouser order.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #9
Another comment is that many, if not the majority, of the PSUs use simple L79xx regulators for the negative rails. These regulators are internally limited by spec'ed at  <2.5amps.  This will either be below the 1812@1.25a fuse's trip point or will take considerable time.

Reply #10
If you don't have a PSU,lying around this is a good deal for persons in the USA

Today only. Newegg has the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W ATX Power Supply for $59.99 - 15% off promo code EMCNBHG22 - exclusive $40 rebate = $10.99 with free shipping. Features: 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Active PFC. NEWEGG  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 66e1614afd