Skip to main content
Topic: PIC32 dip on blade board :-) (Read 1678 times) previous topic - next topic

PIC32 dip on blade board :-)

hey ! 

i moved my noob pcb project here :o)

i'm thinking to design an PIC32 DIP on a blade board,
i took a jump-start from Dangerous Prototype PIC32 board and make few changes,

i used a mini B usb connector in dip format,  i have a bunch of them here ...
i want to have a blade type board, with all the pins ordered.

it is me first board project so be gentle,
i'm currently learning eagle and all other stuff ...

here my first step :
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

i think i found the general placement ...
eagle routing seems to be kindof dumb sometime, i think i will have to route by hand ...

? question
i think i should not have any trace going under the xtal to have less interference
is it ok to have traces on the bottom side ?

all advices are welcome !

Re: PIC32 dip on blade board :-)

Reply #1
Here some interesting comments from my noob previous thread, thank Marcus !

[quote author="markus_b"]Your board  and schematics look good, but a bit empty.

There two things you should do now:
1) DRC (Design Rule Check)
Look at 'Tools' -> 'DRC' and have a look at all the fancy stuff Eagle can check. These are the design rules Eagle can verify when you press the DRC button. They should agree with what your PCB supplier can do. For example if your PCB supplier can do 10mil tracks there should be '10mil' in the 'Wire' field under 'Clearance'.
This allows you to verify that your PCB design can be manufactured by your supplier. If you send him a PCB design that is in violation of these rules then you'll get a non-working PCB !!

2) CAM Processor
This is the tool which created the 'gerber' files from your PCB. Most PCB supplier will use the gerber files to create the PCB, not the Eagle data file (some PCB suppliers do). When entering that dialog you should load a 'Job' file, this is the definition for the gerber files Eagle should create. The creation of the gerber files can be specific to the PCB supplier too, some provide a job file to use with Eagle.
After creating these gerber files you should download and install a gerber viewer and have a look at these files, you'll then understand better how it works.[/quote]

of course DP Tutorials are a must to read and this one need to be read many time :o)
http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Get_your_PCBs_made

Reply #2
Hey!

Apparently you use Eagle 6 sth, I was using an older version so I couldn't open the files. FTP connections are not permited in my lab so I'll have a look when I get home but here is sth:

[quote author="voidptr"]
i think i found the general placement ...
eagle routing seems to be kindof dumb sometime, i think i will have to route by hand ...
[/quote]
Don't use autoroute, route by hand, I've never managed to get a good board with autoroute, even with some real simple breakout boards. Have a ground plane, it really helps during routing, especially when all ground conenctions disappear thanks to the copper fill.

[quote author="voidptr"]
? question
i think i should not have any trace going under the xtal to have less interference
is it ok to have traces on the bottom side ?
[/quote]
Well, it is best to stay away from the xtal at all times. Top layer, bottom layer does not matter that much, noise source will be directly on top. Try to place the crystal as close to uC as possible, and try to have the xtal - uC pin connections equal lengths and caps as close to the xtal as possible. Another thing to note is USB signals are differantial signals and rule is that they should be routed as parallel to each other and trace lengths should be as close to each other as possible. Don't worry about making them exactly the same but don't make D- go directly to uC and D+ make a loop around the board before connecting to uC.

My 2 yen. ;)

Reply #3
Hi good idea... you can use our pic32/24 BB as a reference for routing ....
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/PIC ... 8_breakout
While it's designed for SOIC-28 devices, the PIC32 SOIC and PDIP devices have the same pinout...
best regards FIlip.