Skip to main content
Topic: (Bus Blaster v1) FTDI 2232 high speed programmer debugger (JTAG/SPI/I2C/UART) (Read 85435 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FTDI 2232 high speed programmer debugger (JTAG/SPI/I2C/UART)

Reply #46
Did some more testing today, looks like everything is going to work 'out of the box' after all. Will do some real world test and post screenshots tomorrow.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #47
Here's a picture of the test bed, powered down unfortunately. Debugging is on hold until I have a known-working target to debug (IP is mailing it today).

Reply #48
I really like your rj12 to screw terminal adapter ;)

Reply #49
The best for programming PICs with the ICD2 :) You can have any pinout you want...

Reply #50
[quote author="ian"]
The best for programming PICs with the ICD2 :) You can have any pinout you want...
[/quote]

Well, I would say its the ICD3.  Though you can probably pick up an old ICD2 a lot cheaper now.

-Eric

Reply #51
Does the ICD3 also have the rj12 jack? I still have v2.

Reply #52
[quote author="ian"]
[/quote]

Yes, it is physically similar (except for the color and no more serial port) but has significant internal upgrades.

I found this comparison.

I think one other advantage that was not mentioned is that once a new version of a Microchip tool comes out support for the previous version will start to fade.  As new chips come out it is likely that at some point they will no longer be added to the ICD2.  This is what happened to my ICD1, then support for it was dropped from MPLAB.  You probably have quite a while till this starts to happen though.  I got mine when they first came out and Microchip had a trade-up program.  If you donated your ICD2 to one of their educational charities (such as FIRST) you got a discount on a new ICD3.

See also www.microchip.com/icd3/

-Eric

Reply #53
I have a ICD3 and I like it much better than the ICD2.  Besides not having RS232 it also does not need an external power supply.  I still have a ICD2 and a couple of the old ICD1's.

McZ

[quote author="Eric"]
[quote author="ian"]
[/quote]

Yes, it is physically similar (except for the color and no more serial port) but has significant internal upgrades.

I found this comparison.

I think one other advantage that was not mentioned is that once a new version of a Microchip tool comes out support for the previous version will start to fade.  As new chips come out it is likely that at some point they will no longer be added to the ICD2.  This is what happened to my ICD1, then support for it was dropped from MPLAB.  You probably have quite a while till this starts to happen though.  I got mine when they first came out and Microchip had a trade-up program.  If you donated your ICD2 to one of their educational charities (such as FIRST) you got a discount on a new ICD3.

See also www.microchip.com/icd3/

-Eric
[/quote]
"Too many projects, so little time"

Reply #54
BTW I ran across this website, dont know if it has been posted before.

Modular Circuits USB JTAG-Programmer

Schematic

On a related project I need to use one half of a FT2232H for interface to a Xilinx CPLD and the other half of the FT2232H for JTAG for the Xilinx CPLD.

Thoughts?

McZ

Reply #55
The H as two serial modules, one for JTAG and one for COMs is a very typical configuration for ARM boards. BUT - my experience has been that openocd doesn't support CPLDs/FPGAs, though I'm testing unknown hardware so who knows... I'll know for sure when IP's reference hardware arrives for testing.

If it's supported, just install the libFTDIUSB (or whatever) drivers for both modules and you should be good to go. You can mix and match - one serial, one SPI, or both SPI, etc.

[quote author="MichaelZ"]
BTW I ran across this website, dont know if it has been posted before.

Modular Circuits USB JTAG-Programmer

Schematic

On a related project I need to use one half of a FT2232H for interface to a Xilinx CPLD and the other half of the FT2232H for JTAG for the Xilinx CPLD.

Thoughts?

McZ
[/quote]

Reply #56
I have been looking at openocd and they only mention CPLD/FPGA's in one section of the manual. 

Amontec claims that their jtag programmer is based on the FT2232L and can program CPLD/FPGA's  They have open source.  Slurp slurp.  They also support openocd. 

I will post what I am working on.

McZ

Reply #57
As I recall, Amontec has a separate (non open?) utility to play SVF and XSVF for CPLD/FPGA with their Key programmers.

The OpenOCD manual does mention one FPGA type and setting, which initially gave me hope. There are no examples in the .cfg files though, and my googling only turned up people asking 'I saw it in the manual, does it actually existing?'.

Reply #58
I use a lot of Xilinx CPLD/FPGA's and the the PODS cost an arm and a leg.  Dont they all.  I have a Platform Cable USB but it would be nice to have something open source.  Wonder what Jack uses.

Reply #59
I believe he uses a FT2232-based loader (some of his board have them built in) with J-link (there is a popular app I forget the exact name).

For real JTAG debugging stuff (chipscope, etc) I think I remember he had to buy a parallel PCI card to use an old wiggler.