Skip to main content
Topic: (Bus Blaster v1) FTDI 2232 high speed programmer debugger (JTAG/SPI/I2C/UART) (Read 86279 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FTDI 2232 high speed programmer debugger (JTAG/SPI/I2C/UART)

Reply #60
[quote author="MichaelZ"]
I use a lot of Xilinx CPLD/FPGA's and the the PODS cost an arm and a leg.  Dont they all.  I have a Platform Cable USB but it would be nice to have something open source.  Wonder what Jack uses.
[/quote]

there was recently a whole schematic for the platform cable published in one of xilinx documents .. CY7C68013A+XC2C256+24LC00T-SN+DS2411 and few resistors and leds and there you have usb platform cable :) The best of all is that (if I understood the text correctly) you only need to start the webpack (free from xilinx) and tell it you have usb platform cable it will automatically put the proper code in the i2c eeprom via CY mcu and program cpld too so you just need to splat all the components like they are on the schematic (pages 15,16) and it should work. I never worked with CY mcu's but from what I gathered they have some "initial" usb enumeration embedded in them and then you shoot firmware in them via usb so your mcu firmware is actually in the usb driver... so this is how webpack will make your "few parts together on a pcb" to a xilinx platform cable... donno about licences wrt this, but this would be a cool pcb seeed could make :D

Reply #61
[quote author="MichaelZ"]
I use a lot of Xilinx CPLD/FPGA's and the the PODS cost an arm and a leg.  Dont they all.  I have a Platform Cable USB but it would be nice to have something open source.  Wonder what Jack uses.
[/quote]

I think that Jack uses FT2232 with UrJTAG.

Reply #62
That looks right. I'm going to give this a shot now with my CPLDs:
http://urjtag.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv ... o_the_part
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #63
Did another test of this today with UrJTAG. Now I see lots of activity from the CPLDs on the logic analyzer, but UrJTAG isn't reporting any devices.

I'll test again with the known-working examples from IP. I also have a plain FT2232 breakout-board now, I'll build it and try that too in case it is a buffer problem.

Reply #64
i tested my ft2232 jtag with toms jtag utility 1.3 (a simple freeware program for backing up cable modem firmware)

Reply #65
It's working :)

The pins on the buffer footprint were swapped, flipping the TMS and TDI cables made it work :) Took a week to figure it out, but there you go.

Some notes:
*UrJTAG seems to like the real FTDI drivers best
*OpenOCD only like libftdi, which can be installed with this package: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki
*OpenOCD will detect CPLDs in a chain scan, if the programmer works :)

I'll clean up the schematic and order an initial 20 Bus Blasters today. The cost is a little more than I'd like, mostly due to the buffers. Please weigh in if you plan to buy one:
*As robots noted earlier in this thread, DBGACK and DBGRQ are rarely used, and they aren't even really connected correctly for hi-z output, if needed. We can leave off IC8 (DBGRQ output buffer) because it won't really work in some situations, it should be a tri-state output like the resets.
*I don't think the JTAGkey layout we're using actually supports adaptive clocking, so IC6 can be left out too.
*Best practice is to use pullups to keep the outputs hi-z at chip start. This won't go on the first 20 test boards, but should be on the first large production batch
*according to the buffer datasheet, the inputs should always be loaded to prevent excessive current flow. There should be pullups on inputs, at minimum, and unused pins should be tied to ground. I'll fix as much of this as I can prior to the first 20units (without major changes to the PCB), but an overall revision and re-test is needed before the first large batch.

Next step:
*Fix the footprint
*add pullups
*get quote without IC6, IC8, C18, C25, with pullups

Screenshot of the first successful connection is attached.

Reply #66
If it can talk to a Xilinx CPLD I want one.

McZ
"Too many projects, so little time"

Reply #67
That's what I tested it with in the screenshot. I believe UrJTAG will program CPLD and FPGAs with SVF/XSVF, but you might want to check to be sure. It is the utility used with a ton of FPGA boards with FT2232x chips, like Jack's platform.

Here's a picture of the PCB after I figured out the issue. IC 6 and 8 have been removed. IC4 has been hard-wired enabled by soldering pin 14 and 15 to the ground of C21.

Another note:
I'm not planning to populate the EEPROM, and it was not included in the initial quote because it's not needed and to help keep the cost down. The footprint is there is you want to add it.

Reply #68
After a minor touch up to the silk we will start manufacturing this.

It's far from ideal, and I've already started a v2 that integrates a CPLD. The logic chips do add too much to the cost, and need further updates. I think it will be easier to use TI's approach with the CPLD, but implement the logic equivalent of the JTAGkey for wide compatibility. If we connect enough pins to thh CPLD and add an EEPROM, v2 can probably pretend to be just about any programmer with any pinout :)

Reply #69
While the first batch of v1 is at manufacturing, we're designing a v2 with a CPLD. If anyone is interested in that project the development is going on here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... pic=1490.0