Skip to main content
Topic: General Questions about the Pic Programmer (Read 6200 times) previous topic - next topic

General Questions about the Pic Programmer

Hey guys; I just my offical pic programmer from SEEED (and my PCBS!)

Anyways I have some general question perhaps we can answer now, I will post them on the wiki all nice and neat so they are out there for everyone because there is a general lack of information regarding this device.

All questions are for BP v1c-smd

1: BP Version Jumpers (SJ1 & SJ2)
SJ1 and SJ2. I don't understand the schematic at all! So from eading around i hear its supposed to be pre-configed for v3 (good what I need) but none of my jumpers are jumped and looking the schematic makes no sence to me.

If you can explain what versions need what bridges; I will design a small image showing the jumps and the version for it.

1a: Supported BPs
Only v2go and v3 are currently supported correct?

2: PicProg Software
Quick and simple one; the PicProg software does or does not require additional firmware. Im pretty sure i know the answer but want to be sure before posting it on the wiki

3: Step-up Circuit
I have heard conflicting awnsers reguarding this. In-case I decide to write my own software for lets say, HVSP programming an AVR which needs 12v. Is the step-up circuit adjustable via software? Or is it set at 13v? (and is it 13v if so? or something else)

4: Where can I find the latest supported pics?
Where can i find a list of the latest supported pics? So I can update the wiki list and/or link to it for users to see.

5: Future Plans
Is there a plan already set in motion for a v4 pic programmer?

6: Did I miss anything?
Did I miss anything, any of you find might be something a person who just purchased the device might want to know?

Thanks.

Re: General Questions about the Pic Programmer

Reply #1
Here we go:

1: BP Version Jumpers (SJ1 & SJ2):
It already comes with the correct setting for v3. There are 2 traces just between the pads. Look at the attached image.

2: PicProg Software:
It does not require additional firmware. As with AVR programming, we use binary mode for computer interraction.

3: Step-up Circuit:
The ones that are available for sale (which can be used with v2go and v3) have a fixed boost regulator. They use a seperate IC (MC34063AD) on there that boosts the voltage. It is set to 13 V. The new one for BPv4 is software adjustable (6V-13V), which has a different design.

4: Where can I find the latest supported pics?
Look at the PiratePICProg folder, there is a file called pic.c which contains all required info for programming a pic. We only support those that are in that file.

5: Future Plans
As I've said many times in many different topics: YES! It is in prototype stage now, we are still waiting for the prototype PCBs but the design is complete, there is some code related to that in BPv4 firmware, more code on the way for the SMPS output voltage setting in binary mode.

6: Did I miss anything?
As long as people do not contribute to the project, this will be an experimental project. As I remember we still have some problems related to programming 12F and 16F series pics (If you read this, can you confirm this robots?). Also there were some problems regarding the verification command but I don't know if it is solved or not. This is not a PicKIT2, you will not be able to program PICs in a fast way (unless we use some sort of special firmware) as we are bitbanging the pins. Also if you cannot find your favourite pic on the list, add it yourself instead of complaining or asking people to do it, we have a good wiki tutorial about it, we have some example settings, we might be able to help in IRC channel or in the forum.

Reply #2
I am not sure about 12f and 16f problems, as there is no code for these devices at all :-). I am sorry, I have almost no time right now, as my master thesis needs to be done in 1.5 month.

When i have some time I would like to: (others can join too!!)
- confirm support for pic32 (I got free pinguino from olimex on embedded world!! (: )
- add support for 16f 12f devices (they need 12v programming voltage, not all of them)
- add support for bus blaster (this was the original intent, low priority right now)

Reply #3
Thanks for the offer to make docs Brent, it would be helpful. So far there are only about 20 prototypes out there, this is the first actual batch and things are still not up to snuff.

Thanks to Tayken and Robots for filling in the details :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
[quote author="robots"]I am not sure about 12f and 16f problems, as there is no code for these devices at all :-). I am sorry, I have almost no time right now, as my master thesis needs to be done in 1.5 month.[/quote]
I hear you! I had to submit a paper today for a conference, fingers crossed now. :)

I have some 16F devices with me, I can check them out. I'll try to look it up and see if I can come up with sth. :)

Reply #5
16f and 12f use different bus protocol, also some devices in 16f family (like 16f88) have different protocol from the rest. The current architecture of the SW should be able to handle it. It just needs more datasheet reading to be done :-)

Adding new protocol is not hard, it is pretty much reading the datasheet and rewriting it to code. All the waveforms and commands are there.

Reply #6
[quote author="robots"]Adding new protocol is not hard, it is pretty much reading the datasheet and rewriting it to code. All the waveforms and commands are there.[/quote]
I'm trusting that, otherwise I'm in trouble! :D I have in mind to add support for 16F84, 16F628 and 16F877. I guess I'll find some HEX files for them for trials.
But all has to wait for Monday, until tomorrow, I'm occupied with guitar practices for the show at a festival.

Reply #7
If you have any trouble just post, i'll be watching the forum (as always (: ).

You you add 16f887 I could also test your code. Probably the only 16f in 100m radius :D