Skip to main content
Topic: Where are the project files for PIC18f2550 breakout board? (Read 5153 times) previous topic - next topic

Where are the project files for PIC18f2550 breakout board?

Hello, I would like to order the new PIC18f2550 breakout board via the drawer (originally I was going for the Part Ninja or a Bus blaster 3/4 but those are all sold out). I would like to know where are the files for this project. I would like to order the parts I miss for this board but I want to make sure I order the good one.

I have searched the DangerousPrototypes' googlecode trunk for these but I haven't found it. Maybe I've not looked at the right place. Anyway, are those files hosted somewhere?

Thank you!

Re: Where are the project files for PIC18f2550 breakout boar

Reply #1
Sorry no firmware, It is only a breakout, not a specific project. The firmware is yours to provide. The USB IR Toy uses this chip, so you can use it's boot-loader.

Reply #2
Hes looking for the BOM and partslist im sure he knows there is no firmware.

I think this is all there is at the moment:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/PIC18F2550

its pretty darn new; perhaps Ian just has not made the time to get to uploading those files atm.

but just using the image above; its just a breakout board; you can figure out the proper cap and resistor values just by checking the datasheet. and for the most part they can be adjusted to fit your own personal needs. The L1 i think you can find on DP's part's list or off of the Bus Pirate schematic as im sure its the same. Then for the power caps same. The diode is pretty obvious which direction it should go for reverse protection. the regulator im guessing is 5v; for the dc plug next to it (to run off of USB or jack?) and thats basically it.

Its just a breakout board; theres no purposeful circuitry on it; so im sure there are no specific values just common sense values.

edit: ah yes now i see; there is a jumper to select power via the USB or DC Jack. so im sure thats a 5v regulator (or maybe not, im not 100% familure with all the pics, but im 90% sure pic18f2550 is a 5v mcu, just check the datasheet, thats your regulator value.)

Reply #3
Reading comprehension: FAILED

Sorry. It is still the right place to look, sort of.  Yes it's the five volt regulator.
required parts
C5 is 0.22uF
R2 is 10k
C4 is 0.10uF
(EDIT) D1 is BAT16J (Generic part)
not required
L1, and VR are recommended protection
C6,C7 are bulk or stabilizing caps for the regulator, 1-10uF ??
C1,C2 match your crystal.
R1,R2 are 2k7

the master parts list in case you've not seen it, http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Partlist

Reply #4
Thank you for all your inputs. Yes I have already read the datasheet. Since I plan on powering this board via USB I do not plan on soldering the regulator part of the board. Maybe later if Ian needs some input but I doubt he'll need any feedback from me on a linear voltage regulator (except if there are broken trace, etc.).

I know most passive components are 0603 packages. I would just like to be sure on what P11 and PWR are. I think they are leds, it makes sense for PWR but why for P11?

I'm no PIC experts so that's why I would like to build up this board. It would give me a chance to experiment in a convenient way!

I'll order it anyway.

Reply #5
PWR and P11 are leds, I think that P11 led could be use like the user wants. I just ordered one PIC18F2550 board!

Reply #6
Yes, this board just arrived in the mail, we have no docs or anything about it yet. We'll try to get teh files in SVN at least.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #7
The Eagle files are in our SVN under Microcontrollers/PIC18F2550 and Microcontrllers/PIC24FJ64A_B002,
best regards FIlip.

Reply #8
Thank you guys for the support! Now i'll get all the answers I need!

Reply #9
I wrote myself an HD44780 LCD driver years ago, and I still use it to this day. I quickly added that to the micro to try a simple 'Hello, world!". Unfortunately no dice. I checked all the connections, and they seem fine. This leaves the elephant; I'm using a 3.3v micro and a 5v LCD! I tried another LCD which I am sure I've used with the 5V micro before, and I get the same result. I think my memory of using an LCD with a 3.3v micro might be flawed.
kanita