Skip to main content
Topic: PicProgrammer v2 for BusPirate v4 Development (Read 38564 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: PicProgrammer v2 for BusPirate v4 Development

Reply #45
OK, got that. Checking out high voltage programming as I have no knowledge. Seems like nearly all the signals are the same except reset pin, which needs 12V?

Leave it for v2 :) I've done a bit of research before, but I don't recall it now. At one time I know enough to put the framework in place for someone else to add the code to avr dude or whatever, I'll come up with something. I'd rather get this out and available as a v4 programmer to support Pirate PIC prog than worry about AVRs ;)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #46
There was a discussion about this in the old picprogrammerthread.. The problem was the BP v3 didn't have enough pins, so avr support was dropped. If I recall correctly it lacks two pins.

Reply #47
[quote author="ian"]Leave it for v2 :) I've done a bit of research before, but I don't recall it now. At one time I know enough to put the framework in place for someone else to add the code to avr dude or whatever, I'll come up with something. I'd rather get this out and available as a v4 programmer to support Pirate PIC prog than worry about AVRs ;)[/quote]
Yep, that's what I was thinking. :) I just did some research for the future revision. :)

Committed final schematic and code. Will try to finish routing today.

Reply #48
Routing finished and committed to SVN. Any feedback is welcome. :)

Reply #49
nice :-)
it could be smaller

Reply #50
Nice work. The SMPS is night and straight and tight. I might thicken up the SMPS traces a bit.

It is stackable so the T4 isn't really under a shrouded header?

I would bring their power input via to the SMPS over to the right side of C2

Corner holes should probably be larger. Maybe it fits on one of the standard boards checked into the library SVN?

Reply #51
[quote author="ian"]Nice work. The SMPS is night and straight and tight. I might thicken up the SMPS traces a bit.[/quote]
I've used 24 mil traces all around the board. I can make SMPS traces a little thicker if you want. These traces should be good for currents up to ~1 A.

[quote author="ian"]It is stackable so the T4 isn't really under a shrouded header?[/quote]
It is actually a female header mounted the same way as in the version for v3. I just copied it from one of the schematics to get the pin names quickly. I can change it to a regular female header to clear up things.

[quote author="ian"]I would bring their power input via to the SMPS over to the right side of C2[/quote]
There are lots of traces going around and I was a little bit tired at the time. I'll try to get it somewhere there.

[quote author="ian"]Corner holes should probably be larger. Maybe it fits on one of the standard boards checked into the library SVN?[/quote]
Those are actually vias connecting top ground layer to the bottom ground layer. Might add a little more. Current board size is 1.4 by 1.3 inch.

Reply #52
OK, did some changes. Routing and some parts placements changed, power input comes from the right side now. But as that trace goes under the pin header, I was limited by 24 mils which is the trace width I used throughout the board. Board size is now 1.3 by 1.1 inches.

Maybe some labeling cleanup is needed but I guess only some minor adjustments are needed now.

Reply #53
Did some label cleanup, followed Sjaak's advice on some parts placement and added pin function descriptions.  Thinking about getting rid of the ICSP header with triangle and using a normal pin header in order to be able to place MCLR label better. There is some space in the bottom right side which can be used for DP logo.

Any other ideas?

Reply #54
And we have working prototypes!

Had to test out with a multimeter and user mode commands, will add binmode commands and modify the test program for the V4 adapter later tonight.

Here is a picture of this beautiful thing:

Reply #55
I love the smell of built prototypes !

Reply #56
Yeah! Nice work!

Reply #57
Had a problem last night while I was messing around. First SMPS started acting weird, I was requesting 9 V but it was giving about 12.8 V then I tried a couple of stuff and this time there was no communication, BPv4 was not being recognized by my PC. I'll try to figure out the problem before I go on...

Reply #58
Maybe a short or too much current draw reset the PIC? On some LCD projects I use PWM to ramp up the backlight because switching it on resets the board (even with 100uF caps).

If your Bus Pirate is dead please let me know asap and I'll send out another one.

Reply #59
[quote author="ian"]If your Bus Pirate is dead please let me know asap and I'll send out another one.[/quote]
Loading the "official" firmware solved that problem. Selftest results are OK, no errors. Probably something to do with firmware.

Hmm, probably I messed sth up while exporting the firmware. Loaded official firmware, OK, loaded the last one I compiled, no good, does not get recognized, recompiled the firmware and exported it, got it to work. Probably I shouldn't mess with stuff late at night :)

One thing that worries me: We have some overshoot, with 9 V request, output is ~9.45 V and 12V request it is ~12.8 V I'm trying to calm myself down thinking that we'll have some voltage drop with the transistors so it should be OK.

Regarding bitbanging mode: Next raw protocol mode is 0b00000111, I'll be reserving this for enabling SMPS. After this there will be special commands for setting output voltage and starting, reading ADC (will be easy as I already get it by interrupt), turning off the SMPS and returning to bitbang mode. Anything else that comes to your mind?