Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate firmware v6.2 development (Read 101303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bus Pirate firmware v6.2 development

Reply #60
Hi,

Can you see the firmware's in my message under that thread, there are fixes available but those are not official releases (yet). :)

Reply #61
Hi tayken,

I can confirm that the bpv3-spifix.hex indeed fixes the SPI clockrate issues.

Regards,
Christian

Reply #62
Thanks to everyone for your help. All of JTR's fixes, and everything else from this thread, is now rolled into a beta release firmware. We also cleared 10 bugs on the tracker and updated documentation. I'm really curious to see how the USB interrupt fix solves some outstanding issues too, if all goes smoothly new versions of other projects with these updates are waiting in the wings.

This also includes an updated STK500v2 firmware for hardware v3 that works with the latest AVR Studio.

http://code.google.com/p/dangerous-prot ... -beta1.zip
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #63
When will firmware 6.2 be released?
I see betas of firmware 6.3, but the download link in the wiki still offers firmware 6.1 only. If you search the forums, you can find 6.2-beta, but I'm missing 6.2-final.
If you have any flashrom problems, please mail flashrom@flashrom.org and include "Bus Pirate" in the subject line. As an alternative, you can send me a private message.
It is recommended to use at least flashrom 0.9.2 or later, and latest flashrom from svn if you want a 3x speedup.

Reply #64
We skipped it because of so many betas floating around. Look for a v6.3 release this week.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #65
hello
I just had a look at the code..... there seems to be some amount of unused code
from the quick glance globals.h seems to be not included in any file... also contents from configwords.h are present in main.c
you don't need both these files

more cleanup to come :D

Reply #66
[quote author="prazzb"]hello
I just had a look at the code..... there seems to be some amount of unused code
from the quick glance globals.h seems to be not included in any file... also contents from configwords.h are present in main.c
you don't need both these files

more cleanup to come :D[/quote]

Thanks for the report..
best regards FIlip.

Reply #67
flashrom uses the command pattern described below for writing a flash chip, and I wonder if I can introduce a new command which removes most of the roundtrip overhead. For some flash chips, that should result in 5x or better speedups on write. On a BPv4, this would probably put the Bus Pirate write speed on par with commercial flash programmer devices.

• SPI binary mode write then read(writelen=4+n, readlen=0, data={{JEDEC_SPI_WRITE_PAGE, 3 bytes addr, n bytes flash contents},{}})
  • SPI binary mode write then read(writelen=1, readlen=1, data={{JEDEC_SPI_RDSR},{returned status register}})
  • Check if the WIP bit in the returned status register is set. If yes, reread status register and recheck ad infinitum. If no, continue.
  • Write another page.

What I'd use would be a command taking the same parameters as the current SPI binary mode write then read, but that command would after the first command is done automatically submit JEDEC_SPI_RDSR on the SPI bus in a loop until WIP=0, then return an error/success code (as usual) and a single byte the value returned by the flash chip for JEDEC_SPI_RDSR.

Would that be feasible for firmware 6.3 or maybe 6.4?
If you have any flashrom problems, please mail flashrom@flashrom.org and include "Bus Pirate" in the subject line. As an alternative, you can send me a private message.
It is recommended to use at least flashrom 0.9.2 or later, and latest flashrom from svn if you want a 3x speedup.

Reply #68
Hi, I don't see why not. It doesn't seem like it would take too much space, so we could fit it in the BPv3...
If you would provide the code, I'd be happy to integrate it into the firmware, test it out, and add it to the next betta release.

I would also be happy to help with the coding, but I haven't played around much with flashing chips. If you could provide more detailed instructions, I'd be happy to try and code it out...
best regards FIlip.

Reply #69
Is BUS Pirate firmware 6.2+ still in development? I tried hunting through the site, wiki, forums, and bug tracker but that just got me confused. I see a forum announcement for 6.2 beta 1, but that was August 2012. The roadmap (http://dangerousprototypes.com/track/roadmap_page.php) shows 6.3 @ 50% but with an ETA of June 2012.

I really like the feature set of the BUS Pirate, I came across it while looking for an I2C sniffer and then saw the planned STK500v2 emulation feature of the v4. However, I am hesitant since the firmware development seems to have halted.

Am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Reply #70
Hi development is not halted, it was just temporarily slowed down due to a push on a different project. The v6.3 is not far off. Regarding the STK500v2 there are BPv3 custom STK500 firmwares available on our SVN.. http://dangerous-prototypes-open-hardwa ... -firmware/
best regards FIlip.

Reply #71
FIlip,

Thanks for the quick response, it is good to know someone is on the other end. If I might ask one more question, what is the status of BPv4? Is the STK500v2 firmware compatible with BPv4? I know I read somewhere on the site that the BPv3 and BPv4 use the same or parallel firmware, but at the same time there were recommendations to stick with BPv3 until BPv4 stabilized. Is that still the case?

Thanks again,
Charlie

Reply #72
So what's the status of the v6.3 firmware now? It's been a while since I last heard anything.
Are there any news or has the development stopped completely?

The last offered firmware package for BP4 is from July 2013:
https://code.google.com/p/dangerous-pro ... 4-firmware

Reply #73
Hi friends
I have a BP v3.6 buying from seed studio, I update 6.2 beta but I am no get back old firmware using "$" bootloader mode, command not triger the bootloader mode (green led not turn on, ds30 loader give the error). Manual trigering work good.
Thanks,best regards.

Reply #74
[quote author="relax79"]Hi friends
I have a BP v3.6 buying from seed studio, I update 6.2 beta but I am no get back old firmware using "$" bootloader mode, command not triger the bootloader mode (green led not turn on, ds30 loader give the error). Manual trigering work good.
Thanks,best regards.[/quote]

I noticed the exact same thing.  I am able to get the bootloader mode using the "$" in coolterm for Mac when I was in firmware version 4x and I updated to 6.2 Beta 1 a few days ago no problems.  I can no longer get into that mode (Mode green LED), I have to jumper PGC and PGD.  Did the latest firmware break the other method to get into bootloader mode?  By the way there was a slight fix to some clerical error in the source code for SPI .

Post about this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6667

Fix by Tayken Firmware v6.3-beta1 r2151:

download/file.php?id=11261