Skip to main content
Topic: Infrared Thermopile sensor TMP006 Free PCB Build (Read 4811 times) previous topic - next topic

Infrared Thermopile sensor TMP006 Free PCB Build

My latest and most difficult free pcb yet the TMP006 Breakout board.

[attachment=0]
[attachment=5]
For this build i used the following tools:
Weller WSD81 Soldering Station with an LT-H tip (0,8 mm) set at 350°C for the 0603 components.
Atten 858D Hot Air Rework Station set at 300°C with the smallest nozzle and airflow at 3 for the TMP006 chip.
CW8100 No Clean Flux Pen which leaves no residue after reflowing.
An Fluke 17B Multimeter to check if the chip is soldered correctly.
And my BusPirate v4 to check if the chip works.

I started by cleaning both boards Ian send me for a free PCB code.
[attachment=4]
First i soldered the huge 0603 parts ;)
[attachment=3]
Next i cleaned the board again to remove the flux residue and put new flux from the flux pen on the board.
[attachment=2]
The last and most difficult part was aligning the TMP006 by eye and reflowing it for about 1 minute from the top and all the sides at a distance of about 15mm until all the balls melted to the pads, for this i didn't use any extra solder paste and i haven't pre tinned the pads because they were pre tinned when i got the boards.
[attachment=1]

To test if all the balls made contact i used my multimeter in diode test mode.
When you connect the red test lead to ground and the black test lead to one of the digital pins it measures 550mV, the VCC pin measures 420mV.

The last test was connecting the BusPirate to the board and using the I2C address search macro to check if the chip is detected and if its address changes when setting the address pins to a different level.

In the end both boards are working with the search macro at different addresses but i still have to test if they both actually can measure temperature.

Re: Infrared Thermopile sensor TMP006 Free PCB Build

Reply #1
Respect!

(more to follow tomorrow)

Reply #2
No doubt, beautiful work. Let's say Sjaak failed his BGA 'interview' ;) Check out our video later today :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
Great work pietja!
I have four TMP006 waiting for a home PCB.
Do you have any special plan for them?

Reply #4
fcobcn i dont have any special plan for them, i did it to practice bga soldering.

And Sjaak never push down on a BGA when reflowing because there is a change that you squeeze al the balls together and make a short circuit. The flux should do all the work not you ;)

Reply #5
Really nice job, I've done QFN16 without exposed pad with just an iron before, but never BGA. Starting to really consider getting a hot air tool, how are you liking the Atten 858D? Looks like a nice hot air tool that doesn't break the bank.

Reply #6
I like the Atten 858D, is pretty good only the cable is a bit to short and stiff.
I bought it because of Dave's review.