Skip to main content
Topic: itead mistery pcb - TFT digital picture frame (Read 5440 times) previous topic - next topic

itead mistery pcb - TFT digital picture frame

TFT digital picture frame with in built Real-Time clock and thermometer
Designed by: Erick Aubin

I assume B1 is a big capacitor, something like 22000uF or similar (judging from the size), USB-BUB is some ft232 or similar usb 2 uart board, x1 is some 8 or 16 MHz xtal and X2 is 32768 kHz, U1 is probably some ATMEGA as J1 looks like AVR ICSP connector and Z1 is some 7805 or something ... now, what mega should be there, what firmware, what kind of tft lcd ... no idea ... if you know a homepage for this project - share :D

Re: itead mistery pcb - TFT digital picture frame

Reply #1
I thought about opening up my last PCB from iTead, but didn't have sufficient documentation so I decided not to. Next time I will i will at least put the part names (and values where there's room) in the silkscreen. If everyone would do it like that only the firmware would be a problem.

Reply #2
This TFT frame might be a good project ... only I don't see anywhere a project log for it :( ...

I got another one (some avr based RF-Power meter v1.0) but it's ain't interesting to me even if there is a full project documentation there as I'm happy I got out of anything RF related and hopefully will never need RF tools again :D ... but this board could actually be used especially as it looks like it uses some of the ITead's lcd's I have so might be cool (with few small changes) .. but .. no project files :( ... I don't get it, I made bunch of pcb's on ITead/Seeed, this is the one I made with "open pcb" project so I added a url to the pcb, so if someone gets it they can actually use it :)

Reply #3
.........,,,,,,,,, feel free to add them anywhere in the text :D
best regards FIlip.

Reply #4
This TFT frame might be a good project ... only I don't see anywhere a project log for it :( ...

I got another one (some avr based RF-Power meter v1.0) but it's ain't interesting to me even if there is a full project documentation there as I'm happy I got out of anything RF related and hopefully will never need RF tools again :D ... but this board could actually be used especially as it looks like it uses some of the ITead's lcd's I have so might be cool (with few small changes) .. but .. no project files :( ... I don't get it, I made bunch of pcb's on ITead/Seeed, this is the one I made with "open pcb" project so I added a url to the pcb, so if someone gets it they can actually use it :)

better?

Reply #5
much thanks :)
best regards FIlip.

Reply #6
I had a mooch around for Mr Erick Aubin and I found a likely candidate on linkedin (click the one that works for Barry Ind, an electronics manufacturer)

Sadly I don't have an email for him, or premium account to contact him via InMail. It might be the key to unlocking this board though!

Reply #7
[quote author="arhi"]
I assume B1 is a big capacitor, something like 22000uF or similar (judging from the size[/quote]
My guess is that B1 is a holder for a 9V battery

The tft maybe this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200681568666 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/260848403674

The serial board maybe this one http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/usb-bub

And this would be the microSD board http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view ... oto-board/

Reply #8
9V makes even more sense :D ... tft, I have bunch of lcd's that would fit this board (and pinout) .. problem is that without full project (firmware etc) it does not make much sense (and if I'm to write my own fw I'd make my own pcb too ..

Reply #9
It appears that the ground fill on the top is the ground layer and on the bottom is the positive rail. be it 5v or 3v3. Z1 does look like a regulator.

I'm only assuming here. but as Z1's tab (usually connected to Vout) is connected to the fill on the top layer and so is a pin on the uSD (a 3v3 device) Z1 would probably be a 3v3 regulator.

U3 is connected to +,- and a leg of the MCU. so Vref? or a dedicated reset/brownout supervisor...

I think itead, or a 3rd party should design a website that just links URL's to the board's docs, to the itead product number, here it would be 06302. as itead already includes this unique number on all of it's boards. it would be an easy way to pair PCB with docs.
Maybe a page on the DP wiki could be created..... :D

Reply #10
I think ppl outta make their projects public if they use this 10+2 itead's feature. The board states name of the author and the name of the project - that's enough basically as if the project is published google would find it, that's why I doubt that this project is published at all :(. Not a biggy but would be a quick build .. especially as I have few of the big tft's from itead (that this person probably used for this pcb) so it would be a good testing board for them ... I'd definitively have to build my own.. once ...

Reply #11
Yeah I thought to get that deal from iTead you have to make it a published open project. so its annoying you get one of these things and cannot do anything with it!

I oculd be wrong.

Reply #12
[quote author="BrentBXR"]Yeah I thought to get that deal from iTead you have to make it a published open project.[/quote]

From what I read when I "accepted" was that you just need to wave copyright on the pcb, nothing else... they don't mention the whole project has to be published anywhere ...

btw 2 out of 2 pcb's I got this way don't have open project. The other one is just something I'm not very interested in (some rf something something) so didn't wasted too much time investigating

Reply #13
[quote author="BrentBXR"]Yeah I thought to get that deal from iTead you have to make it a published open project. so its annoying you get one of these things and cannot do anything with it![/quote]

Remember, they do promote it as a "prototype pcb service."  I just sent in a double order, for two different projects, but they are hardly final versions.  I want to make sure the design works before I go to the trouble of writing it up.  I put my name, and the project name on the board, but no email or URL.  If someone gets one of my boards and wants to try and find me (it's not that hard), I'd be happy to explain enough about the board to make it usable.  But I'm not ready to start or maintain documentation for either project, and I'm certainly not ready to provide support.  I don't even know myself how viable the design is!  If I do use the service for a low-rate production run, I will probably put more useful info on it, but for the time being, I don't want to imply anything about the unproven design.