Skip to main content
Topic: "Diolan Plus" bootloader. (Read 55894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "Diolan Plus" bootloader.

Reply #15
Ok! Now that is a great heads-up. I sort of thought that there was something else that DP used. Downloading now...

Will see if I can make sense of this one.

Reply #16
No joy with that. Complains that config.h is missing.

Reply #17
erase_code
;!!!18f24j50 change!!! setup the write
movlw 0x08
movf boot_cmd + ADDR_HI_OFFS, W
clrf boot_cmd + ADDR_LO_OFFS

That should be:

erase_code
;!!!18f24j50 change!!! setup the write
movlw 0x08
movwf boot_cmd + ADDR_HI_OFFS
clrf boot_cmd + ADDR_LO_OFFS

Reply #18
Is this a serious bug? I'm sorry, I'm not great at ASM - hacking it mostly. My limited knowledge leads me to guess they do the same thing, but I would have to dig through the PIC18 instruction reference to be sure.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #19
[quote author="ian"]Is this a serious bug? I'm sorry, I'm not great at ASM - hacking it mostly. My limited knowledge leads me to guess they do the same thing, but I would have to dig through the PIC18 instruction reference to be sure.[/quote]

Certainly they do not do the same thing but it is not serious IF the host software is doing what it should. However that assumption sort of defeats the purpose of the change you were trying to make, to protect the bootloader space below 0x800 which on the J series cannot be protected separately and is always at risk, therefore, of being overridden.

The idea was good and I have no doubt that it would save some grief from the occasional wayward running host, just as intended. I would suggest that it aught to be fixed next release. Not really big enough to worry about it retrospectively.

Reply #20
Actually chances are the biggest risk to the bootloader would come from a wayward running PIC. Even something going wrong on the main app or a voltage dip. If it is coded as I showed and the code is executed at worst it will trash the user app but leave the bootloader alone. That is the real difference and no doubt what you wanted.

Reply #21
Thank you for the explanation.

Reply #22
She's coming along nicely. Managed to get Robots loader compiling and have modified it to handle all the PIC18 USB parts including the J series and up to 128K bytes memory and 256 bytes EEPROM. Also supports R/W of the user ID and reading of the config words.

c:00Workingdiolan plusdownloaderrobots-ols-fwloader-fb4a14abinDebug>ols-f
wloader -f BOOT -t HEX -v 0x04D8 -p 0xFD0B -R -r readback.hex
Bootloader version 0.2.2
Found PIC18F14K50 target, DEVID 0x4760 REV: 0x05
Usable memory range 0x800-0x03fff
Device has 0x100 bytes of data EEPROM
Reading flash
Writing file 'readback.hex'

c:00Workingdiolan plusdownloaderrobots-ols-fwloader-fb4a14abinDebug>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

Reply #23
Nice work!

Reply #24
[quote author="ian"]Nice work![/quote]

Why thank-you Sir. Thanks for putting me on to Robots loader. The code is so much better to work with than Diolan's.

I have since added utilities to allow separate areas of memory to be targeted for read, write, verify, blank and erase.  Everything I have done is working :)

This is not far off being finished (except for the J-series testing....)

Reply #25
Yes, the diolan software was a nightmare. I remember it took 3 people to help me get it compiling so I could make 2 or three tiny changes.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you think this error could be USB stack related? The IR TOy is not resuming from suspend:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3336#p32819

Reply #26
There was some communication to me over this. I received an email saying so but it appears the DP forum has dropped it from my inbox and generally I delete the email notifications from DP once read lest they fill my email client to overflowing. I am sure someone contacted me, if you are here please try again.

Reply #27
Is there a link to the updated Diolan Plus bootloader ?  I'm looking to run Diolan on a 18f14k50 but there's no need to port Diolan twice.  Thanks.

Reply #28
I think it would be great, if you somebody can upload the diolan plus bootloader for pic18f14k50.
Thank you.

Reply #29
[quote author="JTR"][quote author="ian"]Nice work![/quote]
Why thank-you Sir. Thanks for putting me on to Robots loader. The code is so much better to work with than Diolan's.
[/quote]

Glad you found it usefull :-)