Skip to main content

Poll

Do you use these cheap Nokia LCDs

I have used them.
[ 7 ] (53.8%)
I have money and will go for costlier displays like KS0108 based GLCD.
[ 2 ] (15.4%)
I'm willing to use them in near future.
[ 1 ] (7.7%)
They are not available in my area.
[ 0 ] (0%)
Looks nice, will try later.
[ 3 ] (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 04, 2011, 02:48:53 am

Topic: DIY breadboard breakout LCD module (Read 25907 times) previous topic - next topic

DIY breadboard breakout LCD module

After seeing viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3131&p=30923 raj's idea, I applied that principle to make one LCD board.
I have made one such DIY breakout module for the popular Nokia 3310 LCD. I had previously designed another breakout board for Nokia 6610 LCD too. You can read the old thread here. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2707
Not only this provides a 7pin pin header for plugging to breadboard, it also has a 7pin SATA connector as secondary connection option.
[attachment=0]
The full guide with step by step images can be seen in my blog http://www.circuitsdiy.com/diy-nokia-33 ... periments/
I know you'll ask me two questions for sure.
1. Why there isn't any mounting holes at the corners? A: There is unused area in corners, so I can make the holes whenever I need them.
2. Why SATA connector facing upside and creating bad appearance? That's because it's a development tool, not something to be planted into some project permanently. With top SATA connector, I can place the module in table and it will lie on the table' surface.
Still learning
-Arup

Re: DIY breadboard breakout LCD module

Reply #1
I built some a few months back.
Nokia 3310 to the left and Nokia 1100 on the right. The 1100 has a backlight built into the module, whereas external LEDs need to be added for the 3310.
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #2
Rohit, your 3310 display looks like cheap china ones. Some work OK, but some duplicate displays causes issues in RAM addressing as I heard. Hope yours worked well.
TIP: See at the steel cover. If there's "NOKIA" embossed, then chances are that it is not a clone item. (:P)
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #3
Hmm. Actually, mine is from an old Nokia phone. So your theory about the embossing is inaccurate. And I've build similar breakout boards for friends with the 'cheap China' displays, and have had absolutely no problems addressing any part of RAM. Then again YMMV.
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #4
I find that the 5110 type displays are the easiest to work with, simply because the case can easily be attached to a custom PCB... It is very easy to make a sparkFun type breakout..
*offtopic, has anyone considered making a project that would fit the 3310 case, all that is required is to copy the arangment and dimensions of the original phone PCB. It would allow you to have access to 16 buttons, a LCD and a rechargeable battery,  power and interface jack, as well as the speaker and vibrator...
best regards FIlip.

Reply #5

See http://ea4eoz.ure.es/hsa.html
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #6
thanks arup, this is pure awsomeness :D
best regards FIlip.

Reply #7
[quote author="arupbsk"]Rohit, your 3310 display looks like cheap china ones. Some work OK, but some duplicate displays causes issues in RAM addressing as I heard.[/quote]
A possible reason for the displays not working 'properly' is given in Miguel's blog post -
[quote author="Miguel A. Vallejo"]According to the info on Internet, Nokia's 3410 LCD uses a PCD8544 controller, the same as the Nokia 3310 LCD, so both LCD can be driven with the same firmware. Yes and no. Both LCD use the same PCD8544 instructions set, but screen resolutions are different. Original Nokia 3310 LCD is 84 x 48 pixels, but Nokia's 3410 LCD is 96 x 65 pixels, so LCD routines must be rewritten to use the new resolution.

After rewriting the routines, you must expect a working LCD, isn't it? Not again. The Nokia 3410 LCD have a visible resolution of 96 x 65 pixels, but the real resolution inside the LCD controller is 102 x 72 pixels, so you must to have this in mind while writing your code.[/quote]
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #8
hi i had a question in the LCD and the LCD driver part, hope can get some answer and idea from you all.

May i know how to get the "Nokia's 3410 LCD and PCD8544 controller", from what i get from website ea4eoz.ure.es
it direct using the old phone and DIY. i just want to double confirm isn't i can direct get nokia 340 LCD and PCD8544 controller from nokia 3410 phone? or i need to extra purchase PCD8544 controller? 

kindly advice, and sorry for my broken English and i am very new to LCD field very sorry for my stupid question.

thanks a lot

Reply #9
Yes I believe the PCD8544 is inside the lcd module. The pictures show no external IC, only I/O to the modules.

Reply #10
AndThen is right. The PCD8544 is called an LCD segment driver. A chip-on-glass (CoG) type construction is used to attach the PCD8544 to the display elements. You only need to use a microcontroller to provide control signals to the PCD8544, which then drives the appropriate pixels/segments on the LCD.
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #11
hi AndThen & rohitdesa thanks for reply and guide me. thanks a lot.

For what rohitdesa comment

You only need to use a microcontroller to provide control signals to the PCD8544, which then drives the appropriate pixels/segments on the LCD

isn't it is same with the information that provide by website bellow?

htt://fandigunawan.wordpress. com/2008/06/18/lcd -nokia-3310-pcd8544-driver-in-winavravr-gcc
[due to i am new user here, so i can't post the exact link here, for "wordpress. com" should not have space

it using the microcontroller ATMEGA8 to provide control signal to PCD8544, and no need to program the PCD8544 internally.
am i right?

kindly advice.

Reply #12
Yes, the link above will help you. You don't need to 'program' the PCD8544 'internally'. The Atmega8 'configures' the PCD8544 using a simple protocol. So all you need is an Atmel programmer, nothing else.
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #13
hi,

from Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:
After rewriting the routines, you must expect a working LCD, isn't it? Not again. The Nokia 3410 LCD have a visible resolution of 96 x 65 pixels, but the real resolution inside the LCD controller is 102 x 72 pixels, so you must to have this in mind while writing your code.

As we know the real resolution inside the LCD nokia 3410 controller is 102 x 72 pixels. May i know the way you determine the real resolution for nokia 3410? if i want to use nokia 3310, what is its real resolution?

#can anybody share with me the source code for nokia 3310? thanks in advance.

Reply #14
[quote author="cheekang"]
#can anybody share with me the source code for nokia 3310? thanks in advance.[/quote]

Please refer to C.C.Dharmani's article http://www.dharmanitech.com/2008/09/nok ... mega8.html
There library is provided for 3310 LCDs.
Still learning
-Arup