Skip to main content
Topic: Free PCB Build - PICqueno32 DIP (Read 2072 times) previous topic - next topic

Free PCB Build - PICqueno32 DIP

I finally started assembling my free PICqueno32 DIP PCB.  I didn't have any 30-pin headers, but I did have some 32-pin double row headers, so I used those.  So I didn't have a row of useless headers in the way, and so I didn't have to try and trim them, I bend the unused pins over and soldered them in line, so now I have 32 pairs of connected pins, with one header row to solder through the board:
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]

I don't have any FTDI chips, so I'm going to use my FTDI cable to program sketches to it.

I successfully programmed the bootloader using my ICD3.

Here's the result:
[attachment=0]

Re: Free PCB Build - PICqueno32 DIP

Reply #1
To program it with my FTDI cable, rather than build a separate board (see viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3046&p=29776#p30031, which proved to just get in the way and make it hard to use), I just made a "breakout cable" for my FTDI cable.

I found a 2-wire cable that had 2 0.1" pins on one end, but split with a blank pin in between on the other, so this worked perfectly for the +5V0/GND connector.  I found another 2-pin-to-2-pin cable, which I set up for the TX/RX. 

I am not using the RTS pin, so I'll have to do manual resets (could be worse).

Here it is, if anyone's interested:

[attachment=0]

I've successfully used this cable adapter for my PICqueno32 (regular version), but not yet for the DIP version.  My ICD3 claims to have loaded the bootloader just fine, but whenever I reset the device, I get constant ~1.8V (half of the 3.3V power supply) on the LED pin (D13), and no serial communication.  I have double checked the soldering, and everything looks fine, no bridges, etc.  Has anyone encountered this problem?  Or, conversely, successfully programmed the PICqueno32 DIP?

I'm hope to debug it a bit later, using the ICD3 as a step-by-step debugger, but I've kind of got a lot going on at the moment.

Reply #2
The only current build and test that I know of is by Pietja. He built it, but I do not know how much testing he did.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
[quote author="ian"]The only current build and test that I know of is by Pietja. He built it, but I do not know how much testing he did.[/quote]

Okay, I will look into it more, starting with a debuggable MPLAB 8 version of the bootloader.

In the meantime, I found it kind of tough to keep track of which pins were which, esp. with the thing plugged into the breadboard, since the labels were all on the back.  So I made a label, for the top, and also for the sides.

[attachment=2]

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

The photos aren't great, but you get the idea.  I had to tape it down over the programming header and the reset button, but I'll be removing that tape, it should hold down okay.

I'll post the source files (xls and PDF) next.

Reply #4
Here are the source files, in printable PDF (the sizes are just about right to fit in with the headers I have, if you have male-only headers, then you might make it larger) and editable .xls (the numbers in the 3rd column are to help with sorting).