Skip to main content
Topic: Traveling big box of parts? (Read 12033 times) previous topic - next topic

Traveling big box of parts?

A few years ago there was a 'big box of parts' that people mailed to each other in the US. When you get the box, you take what you like, and replace it with other stuff. It was setup to fit in a flat-rate US postal box.

Would anyone like to start a smaller, big envelope of parts chain? I'm taking part inventory and cleaning up the workshop and I have gathered a ton of stuff to give away. I thought it might be fun to start a chain (maybe among trusted forum users to start). I can put all the stuff I have in a big envelope and mail it to someone. They can take stuff and add a few things, then pass it on. I'm willing to send it anywhere in the world.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Traveling big box of parts?

Reply #1
Hmmm, why not? I had to buy a couple of 100yen parts packages, never used them again. I can send them. :)

Reply #2
How about adding the goods to the 'store' ?

I also have stuff to add.

Reply #3
[quote author="Sjaak"]How about adding the goods to the 'store' ? [/quote]
Plausible.

Reply #4
i have some samples that got for abandoned projects etc, id throw those in. maybe a dev. kit if it will fit

Reply #5
Cleaned out my through-hole box and remaining 1206 supplies, I think it will get an even better start now :) Will finish cleaning out the chip drawer tonight and package up the envelope. Should we make a mailing list? Maybe we can coordinate the first few to minimize shipping times.

I think the first (an only?) rule of partbox should be no loose resistors :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Traveling big box of parts?

Reply #6
If it should travel to this side of the pond, def have some stuff to throw in...

Reply #7
[quote author="ian"]I think the first (an only?) rule of partbox should be no loose resistors :)[/quote]

I think there should be more :) my rules would be:
- should fit in a envelope
- max weight of the package to minimize shippingcost. I.e from .nl I can ship a letter (<100g) for +-3$ all around the whole world
- send the package  within a week to the next. If you can't comply make sure you swap places
- noo dangerous goods (i.e. mercury switches)
- make a post about the stuff you get from the bag, progress etc. (the remaining stuff in the envelop remains secret)

Would be nice to have a tracking page with googlemaps and some kind of list so people know when they are next. Also it could use some controlmechanisme that indeed the one you are sending it to is still alive and his/her address is correct.

Reply #8
i think you mean something like http://tgimboej.org/ :)
for dutch people there is a big and a small one going around, if someone from holland wants to know more, PM :)

Reply #9
Damn this forum is infested with dutch people.. bleh!

:P

Reply #10
awesome idea, I am in, I have a few maxim/Ti samples that I can add to the box.. Digital pots, high-side current amps with integrated ADC.....

I'd add a rule, no BGA/QFN parts :D
best regards FIlip.

Reply #11
[quote author="arakis"]I'd add a rule, no BGA/QFN parts :D[/quote]

QFN is for wussies ;)

Reply #12
yeah this would be sweet. I have a couple things I could part with perhaps anouther use could use. including:

EDIT: deleted the stuff i listed. Supposed to be secret :)

im in!

What types of parts are we talkin here? If its chips I have tons of chips; all sorts of differnt functions. If its modules; I have a few modules XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (edited) Whatever it be; I would totally stock that box with a few extra goodies for the next guy (without overflowing it of course).

someone want to send me some dac related goods? I will send you back a surprise (I promise it will be of equal or better price :) I normally dont do much with analog, except maybe an ADC now and again. I would like to try my hand at some analog circuits but have no parts nor the knowledge of whats good. So if someone sends me a 'goodie bag' of DAC related parts i might need. I will send back some neat toys.

Reply #13
[attachment=0]if anyone has a spare ic box like this this would greatly reduce bulk.

i have doubles and triples of chips i can throw in,

ds1305 rtc
ds1620 thermometer
bq2002 charge controller
max7219 7seg controller (ceramic)
max311x uart

all pth

adding a wish list would be cool.

adding "don't be greedy" and try to give as much as you take would be ideal.

Reply #14
I dont have a box like that; but I do have 5-6 analog digital IC boxes. There plastic with a push through foam on the bottom and then a soft foam on top of that to hold everything in place. I could put all the IC's into those and then drop them into some at-bags. And there pretty nice size. I would estimate about 4/5's the width of your box and 3/4 the height. Other then them being plastic see through its basicly the same as yours.

Also. I have a few silica dryer packages which include this peice of paper that changes colors if the silica is getting old or the ICs are getting to moist. It might be smart to throw a few of those in with the ICs (some open and some still closed, so if the next guy gets it and sees the paper starting to turn red, then open a new silca pack and replace the old ones.. so the ICs stay good during shipment.) There specifically made for traveling ICs. I could part with a few of those; enough to last quite a few trips around the states/world.