Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate Code Size & Size Left (Read 2292 times) previous topic - next topic

Bus Pirate Code Size & Size Left

Hey guys; i have already bothered Ian a couple times via the comment page; this time I will bother the community!

I was thinking; I would enjoy to learn PIC programming a bit more (I use AVRs). Although I do not own a PIC programmer... but then I thought to myself, 'I have a perfectly good open-source device with a bootloader I could potentially use to practice'. So I was thinking perhaps I could build my own edits of the BP firmware. I have been studying the BP firmware for the last few days and adding some of Ian and DP's (and community members of course) principle and ideas into my own projects (I have said it before and I will say it again; the DP projects have really got me to step my own programming game up.) I thought it would be awesome to learn by perhaps adding my own couple of protocols to the device and just to play around a bit and learn any major differences between the AVR-libc-GCC and whatever C compiler the bus pirate uses.

Because the BP has a bootloader I do not need a programmer. Just the bootloader app.

I do have a couple questions though;

1) What compiler is needed to modify and compile the BP firmware?
2) How much space is the already compiled (latest) BP firmware on my BP?
3) How much space does the PIC on the BP have? and how much space left?

It would be really cool if someone could help me out with this. My other thought is to purchase a v4 from SEEED and play with that firmware; who knows I may even be able to help develop on it, which would be pretty sweet ( :) im not a newb; just with pics) but the SEEEd version comes unprogrammed; so without a programmer that doesn't really help me. maybe I could persuade Ian and DP to sell me a v4 BP with a pre-bootloader programmed PIC? (I will soldier it.. I just need the pic programmed) (Comon help a PIC hacker in training brother out ;) - Just kidding (kind of) of course...) Or even better; I submitted my comments on facebook friday and blog sunday; perhaps I will win a PCB! I have been wondering what I would pick if I did win.. now I know! I would totally pick a BP v4 (if available) or another v3 just for PIC practice, maybe (just maybe) I could even persuade Ian to pre-program a bootloader on a PIC for me (I would compensate DP & Ian for it; of course). that would be fudging sweet!

Any help would, as always, be much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Re: Bus Pirate Code Size & Size Left

Reply #1
This is the compiler, grab it and a copy of mplab IDE.

If you post where you live perhaps a member nearby can help out with programming one.

Reply #2
That would be sweet. I live near Cleveland Ohio (work moved me here from Cali; never been this cold :).

You know; I feel like why go through all this hassle.

I was thinking;

first option, which is a long shot anyhow: lets say I got a free PCB. even if I did get a free PCB DP has no more left. If they did i am still looking at ~15 bucks in parts; plus soldering it (I have no SMD solder tools or experience). and I would need a way to program it. Lame.

So option 2) I could purchase the soic diy edition from DP. So thats 3+2=5 for the board plus 15 for parts = ~20 bucks. Then I still have the same problems as above.

So I came to the conclusion option 3 is the best. I will simply purchase anouther 3.5 from adafruit. I would be most awesome if I could get the v4, but at fifty! I doubt i could get the developers discount either. plus i still need to program that one.. If i could get the discount i would find a way though :) so im thinking thats my plan. Then I could even personalize my BP. I dont need alot of the protocols it has; so i could give myself room. but seems like a waste; i really want the version 4!

Reply #3
The $50 is mainly to discourage people from buying it and then expecting support for it right away. I'm sure if you asked and understood the requisites you could get the discount.

A pickit 2 clone is $20 including s/h on ebay, if you plan to mess around with PICs a bit you may consider getting yourself one.

Reply #4
Hey Brent,

I'm glad you want to hack the Bus Pirate firmware, we could always use a new contributor :) If you plan to do any serious PIC stuff, consider getting a debugger. Real pickit2 or clone from eBay are around 20-30.

On the BPv4 - the current stock at Seeed has a bootloader and firmware :) I need to send updated page and price for the "official" launch next week (from Tokyo!). It will only be available at Seeed because I don't feel comfortable pushing initial-production hardware to distributors (nor have any asked).

1) What compiler is needed to modify and compile the BP firmware?

Check out this guide, it includes instructions for exporting with the bootloader:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Com ... C_projects

2) How much space is the already compiled (latest) BP firmware on my BP?
3) How much space does the PIC on the BP have? and how much space left?

It is full, that is why we made a v4 ;) 64Kbytes space, words are 3 bytes. Firmware takes 96% or more, depending on the optimizations (we use none on the official release, many things break with them).
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #5
Really, the official launch is just next week? Sweet. I guess I can wait through the SEEED shipping only because I already have the 3.

Reply #6
If you have v3, you can use it for programming your v4 and the other way around :D

Reply #7
First of all;

[quote author="tayken"]If you have v3, you can use it for programming your v4 and the other way around :D[/quote]

fudgin sweet. Can you elaborate? im new to pics. Is there a guide (similure to the AVR & AVRDude guide perhaps? and a list of compatible devices? Ian told me a few of the pics via a private email but im wondering if that list is complete.)

Second;

[quote author="ian"]Hey Brent,

...:) I need to send updated page and price for the "official" launch next week (from Tokyo!). It will only be available at Seeed be...[/quote]

I don't want to overstep my bounds as a new member. but, can I hold you legally obligated to this via a written/oral contract? If not can you atleast share if there is a 'solid' release date at this point? and can I pre-order?.Also will the PCB be red? I love the red/orange look.

edit. im joking about the legal mumbo, of course. :)

Reply #8
[quote author="BrentBXR"]
fudgin sweet. Can you elaborate? im new to pics. Is there a guide (similure to the AVR & AVRDude guide perhaps? and a list of compatible devices? Ian told me a few of the pics via a private email but im wondering if that list is complete.)
[/quote]
Here is the guide for using PiratePICProg. I don't think the list is 100% there but you can program both Bus Pirate PICs, OLS was added before, 18F2550 is also there, I changed some stuff to add 18F4550. 18F series need the programming adapter, so it is also tested. I want to try out some 16F devices if I have time.

Reply #9
PCBs are red, as far as I know. I will send the new sales page and price today after I catch up on forum stuff :) I go to Tokyo (to meet Tayken no less!) next Wednesday, and we'll do 'something' launch-like from Maker Meeting that weekend.

The price and page for the BPv4 will basically change "whenever" seeed gets around to it. It will probably change way before we do a post next Thursday (new project posts are every Thursday). Because of internet pains, we probably won't get the launch video up until I get back the following week. We'll see what happens ;)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.