Skip to main content
Topic: The RGB Auto-Fader within Analog Gauge Controller, Possible? (Read 6060 times) previous topic - next topic

The RGB Auto-Fader within Analog Gauge Controller, Possible?

Hello,
First, i want to thank to Ian for sharing his big knowledge and his projects with us. No doubt he has a very creative brain ^^

I was interested of doing the analog gauge project. But at same time i want to make the RGB Colour changer too. On the project we already left 4 free pins from PortB.

I was wonderin if we can put a RGB led to those pins.

Now :), with 3 PortB pin, we can control a RGB Led as Auto-Fade mode, and with the 4th, we can On/Off the Led. I dont need it to connect USB and get datas. It is just enough to fade automatically while the USB power is On for Analog-Gauge.

And i have a few more questions before i build my card;

1-) I will program the pic with my Pic_Programmer, so i guess i wont need to connect anything to ICSP header.?

2-) On the PortB's header, there are GND and Vcc pins. They are the circuit power pins? Which may be entered from +5V and GND from a Molex of PC? Cause there is already +5V and GND from USB connection. So, will i be need to enter there power? or USB power is already enough?

3-) I will connect the circuit's USB directly to my MainBoard's usb pins, not to rear or front panel with a usb cable. There are 4 pin from USB header of my MainBoard.From up, +5V, USB DX-, USB DX+, GND. I can see where GND and +5V goes on the PCB but, which pin ( RC4 and RC5 ) is the DX+ and DX-.

4-) I will connect only 1 gauge. I will connect a 2x16 LCD display to LPT port on my MB, and i will control it with LCDSmartie. I can run 2 LCDSmartie same time now, might there be a problem of controlling the LCD and Gauge with 2 LCDSmartie same time?

My questions are those till now.
And i am planning to connect 3 RGB to PortB by transistors for sure if you ( Ian ) can success updating your program as i want.

PortB.0 = Led.1 Blue, Led.2 Red, Led.3 Green
PortB.1 = Led.1 Red Led.2 Green Led.3 Blue
PortB.2 = Led.1 Green Led.2 Blue Led.3 Red

So that, there will be 3 different RGB leds which are running with different colours.

Regards.

Re: The RGB Auto-Fader within Analog Gauge Controller, Possible?

Reply #1
Couldn't find the edit buton ^^ Another thing.

A potentiometer connected to Anolog Input of the PIC ( If 18F2550 have one ) which will control the fading time of the Leds would be awesome.

Reply #2
I'll try to answer the easy ones first, I might have to get back to you about some of the others.

1-) I will program the pic with my Pic_Programmer, so i guess i wont need to connect anything to ICSP header.?

If you program the chip in a socket programmer and then plug into the circuit it should work. It's always worth learning about ICSP though, because when you're working on the software you won't have to pull the chip in an out each time you test.

2-) On the PortB's header, there are GND and Vcc pins. They are the circuit power pins? Which may be entered from +5V and GND from a Molex of PC? Cause there is already +5V and GND from USB connection. So, will i be need to enter there power? or USB power is already enough?

I'm not sure which PCB you're talking about. The gauge project takes all power from USB, and includes an on-board 2.5volt regulator for the gauges. The RGB light project is NOT USB powered because the LED take too much current, instead it is externally powered and has regulators to make 5volts for the circuit and 12volts for the LEDs. The pins are probably power outputs for your convenience.

3-) I will connect the circuit's USB directly to my MainBoard's usb pins, not to rear or front panel with a usb cable. There are 4 pin from USB header of my MainBoard.From up, +5V, USB DX-, USB DX+, GND. I can see where GND and +5V goes on the PCB but, which pin ( RC4 and RC5 ) is the DX+ and DX-.

Take a look here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

4-) I will connect only 1 gauge. I will connect a 2x16 LCD display to LPT port on my MB, and i will control it with LCDSmartie. I can run 2 LCDSmartie same time now, might there be a problem of controlling the LCD and Gauge with 2 LCDSmartie same time?

I've never run two instances of LCD Smarties, I'm not sure if it's possible. A much [s:]nicer[/s:] more complicated solution would be to add an HD44780 LCD driver to the PIC and control everything through USB.

And i am planning to connect 3 RGB to PortB by transistors for sure if you ( Ian ) can success updating your program as i want.

PortB.0 = Led.1 Blue, Led.2 Red, Led.3 Green
PortB.1 = Led.1 Red Led.2 Green Led.3 Blue
PortB.2 = Led.1 Green Led.2 Blue Led.3 Red

So that, there will be 3 different RGB leds which are running with different colours.

The connections look fine at first glance. I'm happy to help you figure out the project, but you're going to have to learn to update the program yourself - I've got other projects coming up ;)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
Well thanks for the reply.

I can see that there is Dx- and Dx+ on my mainboard's usb header. But you didn't write, which pin of PortC goes Dx- and Dx+, or i couldn't see :)

And i was a little blind, i didnt fugure out the pic is smd :), i will redraw the circuit, it is hard to find smd items here.

But if you cant help me about programming i wont be able to update the program as i want :(
I dont know about C++ i only know a little PicBasic.

Please dont reject my request :( I dont think the thing i want is hard for you.
Please let me know if you could help me soon, or, i will have to suspend my project untill you will help me.

I am modding my PC Case. and that thing was about to bring me so up.

Reply #4
What is the aim of this support forum if you won't help anyhow. So cool.

Reply #5
Sorry man, I make my projects open source (give away everything) because I want to help other people learn. I'm not a custom code writing service. You'll have to invest your own time to get your project working, but the reward is understanding something new. Good luck, and sorry about your frustration.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.