Skip to main content
Topic: assembling code name Robert (Read 26994 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: assembling code name Robert

Reply #30
are there options for tuning the build process? i am compiling on an I7 and have plenty of power left during compile.

ill wait for the next update to run the next compile.

Reply #31
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]are there options for tuning the build process? i am compiling on an I7 and have plenty of power left during compile.

ill wait for the next update to run the next compile.[/quote]
Depends on number of cores. If you have more cores, then you can turn up the number in "Build Options->Number of jobs to run simultaneously". You can set that to the number of cores you have. For example for the E10 project I work on, I set it to 4 (although my computer has 8), and it take about an hour to compile from a make clean. My wife's laptop has 2, and it takes about 3 hours to compile from a make clean. (This does not count the downloads, since they are already downloaded)

A Few notes:
The first time you run it has to download sources
Then it compiles a tool chain
After all of that, it starts building stuff for the target device

Here is a good read:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/buildroot.html
http://free-electrons.com/~thomas/pub/u ... roject.pdf

Usually once everything is built, (for development purposes) you can just recompile single packages. Then you will want to do a make clean, and a make to ensure everything builds correctly.

Regarding downloads in the dl folder: I'm sorry I don't every mention them or think about them. Since I have more than one buildroot projects, I will make a symlink from /usr/local/src/download to the buildroot dl directory. That way I do not have 20 copies of the same file. *REMEMBER*: do not run any buildroot processes as root. run them as a regular user.

Just trying to give you plenty of info.

I will continue on u-boot in about 30 minutes. compile and post a link to download and try. IF the at91bootstrap and u-boot work, then I will create proper patches and update the git and buildroot directories.

Reply #32
[quote author="jcwoltz"]Depends on number of cores. If you have more cores, then you can turn up the number in "Build Options->Number of jobs to run simultaneously". You can set that to the number of cores you have. For example for the E10 project I work on, I set it to 4 (although my computer has 8), and it take about an hour to compile from a make clean. My wife's laptop has 2, and it takes about 3 hours to compile from a make clean. (This does not count the downloads, since they are already downloaded)
[/quote]

i have recently got my hands on some older server hardware, not as fast as my vm but ill pull the ultra320 drives out and get a controller, that should help.

i'm familiar with compiling the kernel for desktop, it sounds like it is a similar process.

i'll be able to run a compile in an hour or so.

Reply #33
[attachment=0]

compile cache on and 4 threads.
i have a build-fail

is this a kernel build fail?

Reply #34
yes  I committed a bad kernel patch. I wil re-post when I commit the correct kernel patch. I just fixed on my local machine.

Reply #35
ok, I have compiled a u-boot. It gets loaded into dataflash at location 0x8400

You can download it here:
https://github.com/jcwoltz/cn-robert-bu ... u-boot.bin

Please let me know it it works. In the mean time I will put the proper linux patch back in. I will generate proper at91bootstap patches and u-boot patches.

If u-boot works, then led2 should (but might not) turn on. You will also see text on the debug serial port. Interrupt the auto boot as there is no kernel or rootfs loaded.

Please let me know. If it does not work, it may be because the the at91bootstrap is not right. Things to watch for:
If you can not get into sam-ba, then you may have to hold pin 4 (CS) on the at45 to 3.3 voltz so sam-ba will start. then remove the 3.3 volts. Also, I am not 100% sure that the ethernet info is correct in u-boot. a way to test is to plug in a network cable and issue the dhcp command to see if it gets an address.

*EDIT* I have committed the updated kernel patch. To recompile the kernel, go into the cn-robert-buildroot directory, do a git pull
cd buildroot
rm -rf output/build/linux-3.1
make

Kernel will now compile without a problem.
*NOTE* the u-boot and at91bootstrap generated are not for this board. I am now working on those patches.

Reply #36
Wow, this is moving really fast. :) I was (and still am) feeling awful as I god sidetracked because of schoolwork + Maker Fair preparations. Sorry sqkybeaver...

jcwoltz, can you add some info on the project docs? Also in about 1-2 weeks, I'll get a powerful PC from my friend, I can use it to do long compiles. I can create accounts for you too so that you can access it for that.

Reply #37
[quote author="tayken"]Wow, this is moving really fast. :) I was (and still am) feeling awful as I god sidetracked because of schoolwork + Maker Fair preparations. Sorry sqkybeaver...

jcwoltz, can you add some info on the project docs? Also in about 1-2 weeks, I'll get a powerful PC from my friend, I can use it to do long compiles. I can create accounts for you too so that you can access it for that.[/quote]

dont worry, there are some problems i am working out with sam-ba

im soon upgrade my compile setup to a massive raid setup.

update: there needs to be custom applets for sam-ba, the included binaries are all for 32 bit wide sdram and are uncompatable.

Reply #38
Quick question:
To anyone (other than sqkybeaver) with an assembled board, can you connect with sam-ba?

Plug in power and usb to your board, plug usb into computer. Unless you already use sam-ba it will ask you for a driver. Windows Vista and newer require you to use CDC mode, XP will let you use usbarm0 mode. The CDC driver is in "C:Program FilesATMEL CorporationSAM-BA v2.10drv". After drivers are taken care of, try to launch sam-ba, select at91sam9260ek and the com port it is on.

The next part is from memory, so please forgive me if I don't get the wording exactly correct.
Click the AT45 tab
In the drop down menu of scripts, select Enable Dataflash (SPI0 CS0), the click go or whatever it says
Then select Erase All.

If that works let me know. Do not load the boot file yet, as there is no way to disable the chip select line right now.
If you get an error connecting to the board, please post it.

Thank you,
J.C. Woltz

Reply #39
Wow, congratulations guys! This is the board that won't quit.

Is there a few point summary I can post on the blog?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #40
[quote author="ian"]Wow, congratulations guys! This is the board that won't quit.

Is there a few point summary I can post on the blog?[/quote]

we are currently looking for a customized applet for the sam-ba tool, need it compiled to support 16bit sdram.

until we can successfully load binaries to the data flash we are at a stall point.

jcwoltz and myself have lists for the next board revision to help make things easier. add jumper, testpoints, minor component changes. expensive caps required.

the 3v3 switcher seems to work well, but need to test it at full load.

the 1v8 switcher will be replaced with a ldo - it only supplies the arm core and will only source 120mA, not worth the efficency gains for a simple board.

Reply #41
Ian,
I don''t know. Without someone testing the previous directions, I do not have enough information. It sounds like the sam-ba applets need re-compiled for 16 bit ram, they are made for 32 bit. Buildroot, kernel, filesystem should be ok right now. Just have to get past at91bootstrap. (I can't remember if I did anything with U-Boot yet)

(Sorry, I'm too poor to order the parts for my own board at the moment. It really slows things down not having a board to test on.)

Reply #42
Please let me know what should be done. We'll take care of the changes and get a new batch.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #43
i'm interested in seeing what mods need to be done to make the current board work first, the best part of 2 layer boards is it is easy to cut or add a trace.

I like to go from prototype/alpha directly to beta/production, sometimes it saves time, just have to be through.

Reply #44
Wow,this is some really cool stuff... Great work guys!

PS: it'd be more appropriate to move this to the project logs section.