Skip to main content
Topic: Issue with new flashrom transfer mode (Read 27383 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: Issue with new flashrom transfer mode

Reply #30
In my limited experience, most rom chips can only write one 256 byte page at a time. I think the limit is at the chip.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Issue with new flashrom transfer mode

Reply #31
Ah yes...good point.  From the overview section of a W25X16 datasheet (what I was using in a previous post):

The W25X16 array is organized into 8,192 programmable pages of 256-bytes
each. Up to 256 bytes can be programmed at a time using the Page Program instruction. Pages can
be erased in groups of 16 (sector erase), groups of 256 (block erase) or the entire chip (chip erase).
The W25X16 has 512 erasable sectors and 32 erasable blocks respectively.
The small 4KB sectors allow for greater flexibility in applications that require data and parameter
storage.

Still, we should be able to get some more speedup by buffering multiple page read/write operations on the Bus Pirate, right?  I'm just curious as to whether or not the USB-FTDI communication is still the bottle neck here, even with the 256-byte operations.

Re: Re: Issue with new flashrom transfer mode

Reply #32
The current setup only allows the use of 4096butes on a single command
 With a new.protocol it could be.possible to queue commands. There is definitely room for more speed before it is only the ftdi chip that stands in the way
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.