Skip to main content
Topic: Nokia LCD Breakout Board for uC interface by easy components (Read 43420 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Nokia LCD Breakout Board for uC interface by easy compon

Reply #30
Hard luck about the misalignment. I'm sure the next one will come out better. Some parts of the board are over-etched, but the rest of it seems good. What paper do you use for toner transfer? Regular/photo/glossy magazine? And etchant? FeCL3?
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #31
Normal Nova photopaper 180gsm which costs 75Rs/20pcs and canon 2900B printer. transfer using 200degree lamination machine and Fe2Cl3 as etchant.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #32
not sure how you did registration between the two layers, but I've had good luck by aligning the two pieces of paper in front of a bright light, then taping along one edge.  slide the copper glad between the two layers, then run it through the laminator (tapped side first).  also, it helps to leave an inch or so between the tape side and the edge of the board.

Reply #33
Thanks bearmos, I'll use your technique in my next 2layer board.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #34
Today the PCBs arrived by mail. Thanks Ian. I got some DP stickers too, that's cool.
Being already busy enough I may complete this the 2nd next weekend. :(
But I've done the part which requires good soldering technique: The LCD connector.
These connectors are very small, having 0.5mm pitch. And you need good soldering hands to get it done.
This part becomes more hard as there is no option for reflow, and also if we make solder bridges, those can't be removed, as trying to remove the excess solder will make the plastic melt around the specific pin and the connector will not connect that pin to the LCD again.
Below is my technique for soldering the above connector.
[attachment=3]
First step: Cut a thin strip from any sticker(DP sticker has lots of white area) and fix the connector in place with the sticker.
[attachment=2]
Second step: Apply a tiny(or tiniest) amount of flux(paste type) to the connectors.
[attachment=1]
Third step: Use preheated micro soldering iron. Tin the tip by solder, but wipe the solder, we don't actually need any solder because that will cause solder bridges. Press each pin of the LCD connector from vertical position with the tip of the iron. The flux will be used and the tinning of the PCB will take the LCD connector's pins towards it and that solder(PCB tinning) will function as the joiner.
[attachment=0]
Now you are done. Clean flux residuals with IPA/Kerosene if necessary.
Never use solder to join, if you use any small amount of solder, then  probably you'll get thing messed up and destroy the connector.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #35
Nice work, this should be a blog post :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #36
I also heard of this technique of not using any solder to solder :) supposedly the flux combined with surface tension and the tin on the board is enough to make the connection. I haven't tried it though... But I will on a TQFP 100 0.4mm pitch PIC and report the results.. I should have access to a Nikon D90 with a lens +10 diopter adapter, so me should have some nice pics.
best regards FIlip.

Reply #37
One hint. Instead of "sticker" you can get kapton tape. It's perfect for that job - it removes easily and is temperature resistant.

Reply #38
[quote author="arakis"]I also heard of this technique of not using any solder to solder :) supposedly the flux combined with surface tension and the tin on the board is enough to make the connection. I haven't tried it though... But I will on a TQFP 100 0.4mm pitch PIC and report the results.. I should have access to a Nikon D90 with a lens +10 diopter adapter, so me should have some nice pics.[/quote]

I've tried this on 0402's with limited success.  I usually go around and dab a little bit of 15 mil dia solder on the pads first for passives (paste would be better for IC's and headers like this).

[quote author="arupbsk"]and also if we make solder bridges, those can't be removed, as trying to remove the excess solder will make the plastic melt around the specific pin and the connector will not connect that pin to the LCD again. [/quote]
If you have a variable temp soldering iron (doesn't look like you do) that would probably help quite a bit with this.

Reply #39
Though I havent done it yet,but would(nt) drag soldering work?

Reply #40
[quote author="kmmankad"]Though I havent done it yet,but would(nt) drag soldering work?[/quote]I've successfully used drag soldering with a very little quantity of solder and lots of good flux (Goot brand) on these connectors. However, unlike a regular drag solder, I would recommend against using wicking wire to fix solder bridges. Use the soldering iron to 'pull' away as much excess solder on the pins. And if things really go south then this connector can withstand a couple of blasts from a rework station.
Cheers!
Rohit

Reply #41
Drag soldering is good for ICs with strong pins, and it's bad for ICs with thin pins and also for connectors like this. You need to solder each pin individually to avoid the risk of actually bending pins.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #43
Nice Kartik,
This one really looks nice hand's job. Patience is the key for this.
I've recently ordered "duratool d00012". Once I get it delivered, I'll be back again into the fine PCB making job. :) I'm confident the tracks of your boards are not much complex to do in home, except the vias below IC which you pointed out earlier.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #44
Hey Arup ,

how Is the LCD breakout Board Working??
I Got a new Nokia 6610 LCD + connector from a phones spares shop. So was planning to try it out. Any changes that i should make in the schematic?? I probably have EPSON controller based LCD(since i read somewhere that the one with the brown PCB at the back has an EPSON controller).I am probably planning to make a single sided PCB at home so will be re-routing the PCB. Let me Know if there are any changes to be made!

Thanks! :)