Skip to main content
Topic: GLCD Clock Project (Read 26306 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GLCD Clock Project

Reply #15
I have loaded the new files and they seem to work great.

Ill look at getting some boards made up by seed or someone and hopefully Ill have some to donate to the PCB Pile. im sure ian wouldnt mind.

Edit: as long as your ok with that.

Reply #16
Hi Scorpia,

No, I have no objections whatsoever! In fact, I still have two of the DorkbotPDX prototype boards on my bench, and you are welcome to one if you'd like. It is a fully functional board with just a few minor issues, such as the missing pull-up (which can be added easily!).

If you PM me your address I'll send you the board.

John

Reply #17
Send one to Scorpia, another to Ian
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #18
Hi All,

I've had a slight direction change on this project. Everything is working well, but I've found that the 'GPS sync' feature is pretty much overkill, and the required GPS module is relatively expensive. Today, I wrote a small Windows utility to sync the GLCD clock to my PC. Since the clock sits on my desk anyway, this seems like a logical way to periodically update the time for continued accuracy. Even if it's used away from a PC, bringing it over to the desk for updating is not a big deal.

Anyway, I'm going to make a new PCB with a header that mates to this USB-to-serial cable http://http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718. I probably won't do an initial prototype again using DorkBotPDX (because the changes are minor!), but rather I'll go directly to Seeed's Fusion PCB service. I'd like at least a couple of boards for myself, and that means I'll have a few extras if anyone wants one!

BTW, here is the GLCD I used for this project: http://http://www.sparkfun.com/products/710

Thanks,

John

Reply #19
Hi,

could i make a small suggestion,

If your going to add a USB type port to the board why not change the PIC to a USB pic and use that instead. I realise its more work but it would end up cheaper than using an external FDTI chip.

Also im sure there would be someone here that could find an open source USB stack to work with it :)

ALso if your getting some boards made then ill hang off and im happy to contribute to the newer ones.

edit: PM sent

Reply #20
Hi Scorpia,

Well, I guess "great minds think alike", as I did consider a USB capable PIC for this project. My initial thought was that the 18F2550 didn't have enough I/O capability (and the 18F4550 would be way overkill!), but on second thought it may, so I'll have to take another look! One possibility would be to eliminate the pushbuttons, removing 'local' control, and making the project 'USB only' for setting? Worth considering, but that would surely be a last resort! One think I know I can get rid of is the 'Power' LED - it's really not necessary! Anyway, I'll look at a USB version over the weekend, and see what I come up with, so stay tuned!!

I did just complete my first USB project with an 18F2550, so I think I'm all set there! You can read about it here: http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2289

Thanks for notifying me that you sent a PM, otherwise I would not have known to check! I'm actually surprised that the forum software doesn't generate an email when new mail shows up in your Inbox. I wonder if there is a way to turn that on?

Edit: I just checked the User Control Panel, and it was set to notify me when a private message is received, but I don't think I ever saw anything??? Is this feature working for other users?

Thanks,

John

Reply #21
Yeah. By default it's activated. You may have disabled it unknowingly.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #22
You may also need to check your spam folder. I do get emails for every PM, so it should (for some people) work ok.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #23
Very nice clock! I'll study your project because I'd like to build one in the future

Reply #24
hi,

did you end up with a newer design PCB or should i just get some of the original made? I hadnt heard anything so i thought i would ask again as i think this is a great little project.

Scorpia

Reply #25
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply as I've been extremely busy with other projects, and I'm preparing for a 3 week trip to Asia!

Anyway, I did update the design of my GLCD clock with a USB capable PIC, the 18F2550. I just need to finish up the new layout, and send it off to Seeed. I'll be away between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I will get the board done before I leave, and I expect they'll be just arriving when I return!

I'll post the new files in a couple of days for you to look at. Again, I'll have extra boards, so you don't need to have any made, I'll send you one!

Thanks,

John

Reply #26
Any updates on this?

Reply #27
Hi Scorpia,

I'm sorry for the lack of updates on this project. I changed the PIC on this board to an 18F2550 shortly after my last post, but then ran out of time to get the board checked and fabricated before leaving on an extended trip to Asia (I'm in Seoul right now). I'll be back home at the end of the month, and I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves, getting back to the bench, and finishing a bunch of stalled projects. This one is at the top of the list!

Thanks,

John

Reply #28
After finally getting all the parts for this PCB i managed to finish putting it together tonight.

Found a few gotcha's. Firstly , the ICSP header pinout is weird. but i managed to make an adaptor for that using a breadboard.

then i was still having issues. I found that i needed to power the PCB for the pickit2 programmer to work. took me about an hour to work that one out as any time ive needed to program i pic before i was allways able to program the pic without powerig the board.

but finally i got it all together, and managed to get the power led to flash. lcd lit up and nothing on the display, :( ah wait , adjusted the pot and got a display.

glcd dots

But now im stuck. i thought it might have been becuase i didnt have a battery in the socket, so i found a battery, i didnt have the right size but that 2032 seems to make contact .

anyway, at that point im stuck. the buttons dont seem to do anything. anyidea's?

PS, i used the 1.2 firmware you sent me

Reply #29
Hi Scorpia,

Thanks for the feedback, and your continued interest in this project!!

I am currently running the same firmware, v1.2, so that is not the problem! When the firmware starts, it first blinks the LED, then beeps the beeper, then initializes the GLCD display. It sounds/looks like all that is happening successfully. The next thing that happens is a routine called 'InitTimeDisplay' is run, where the outside border on the GLCD is drawn, and the time separator colons are drawn. The very next thing that occurs is a call to 'Read_DS3231SN_Time()', followed by the display of the time data. My guess is that the firmware is getting hung up in this routine. The buttons are 'polled', not interrupt driven, so if they are unresponsive, the code is not executing the main loop where time/temperature is continuously read, and then displayed.

It's not a battery issue, as I took the battery out of my clock, and restarted the clock. The RTC continues to function without the battery, it just starts at 00:00:00 and 01/01/00, for the time and date.

My guess is that the problem lies with the DS3231, or some of its support components. I would double-check to be sure that each leg of the RTC is soldered to the board. I would also check the PIC pics for SDA and SCL. Finally, I would check for the presence of R2, and R3, the I2C pullup resistors. They should be about 3K.

Oh, one other thing. Sorry about the mongrel ICSP pinout! I'm not sure where I got that pinout from, but I've been using it for years on all my designs, and I don't dare change it now!

John