Skip to main content
Topic: SILtheDIL (Read 6697 times) previous topic - next topic

SILtheDIL

Seeing as many MCU demonstration boards use DIL pin headers on either side of a board, which is impossible to implement into a Breadboard. I decided to make a rather crude and simple adapter that converts 2X20 DIL to a 1x40 SIL.

The 2x20 header could be female or male, depending if you want to stick your module directly into the adapter, or use a cheap HDD ATA 40 ribbon cable.. here are the pics and eagle files for the project. The pics were taken before the boards were cleaned of flux, so lots of brown gooey stuff is there :D
best regards FIlip.

Re: SILtheDIL

Reply #1
If you only have an IDC female header you could use a long male IDC header to make it male.

Reply #3
great idea,  I was just contemplating what to do with the 2x25s on the STM24fdiscovery board and wondering why they did that design.

Reply #4
One thing to note, the boards were made exactly to 10cm length wise, the two SIL holes at the corners are barely on the board.

*off topic never change your chemicals for developing uv boards, I wasted a whole 16cm by 10cm, board to make just these 3 small boards, trying to get the concentrations right
best regards FIlip.

Reply #5
[quote author="dolabra"]I was just contemplating what to do with the 2x25s on the STM24fdiscovery board and wondering why they did that design.[/quote]

they wanted to break out all pins and didn't want to make a 30cm long board I presume :(
at least they made the pins long on top of the board so that you can easily attach jumper wires on top of the board

Reply #6
sure,  but double rows of female headers would have been more user friendly in my book.

Reply #7
I implemented something similar sometime ago for my own board. It is 100mil to 300mil adapter, bottom left on this picture:

The boards standing in adapter on the breadboard:

Reply #8
[quote author="dolabra"]sure,  but double rows of female headers would have been more user friendly in my book.[/quote]

Yes! I actually this morning wanted to remove pins on one of the 32F4 boards to replace it with female headers but gave up very fast. They used some high temp lead free solder and I'm unable to suck the pins free even with 380C on my desoldering system :( and it can't effectively go over that ..

4 holes to mount a standoffs and female headers on top of the board would actually made it way better dev tool :( .. what I don't get are the 2 GND jumpers on the side with usb connector ... same as on the 32L board ..

Reply #10
[quote author="victzh"]I implemented something similar sometime ago for my own board. It is 100mil to 300mil adapter, bottom left on this picture:

[/quote]

Interesting, I've made similar one recently ;)

But it's more like "DILtheDIP" or "DIPtheDIL" :)

Reply #11
This type of adapters is very useful when you work with solderless breadboards :D ... I on the other hand made some "custom" breadboards :D ... most of this boards have just a double sided tape on the bottom so if you remove it the tracks are exposed. With a good cutters and some hot glue you can make some interesting modifications (like for e.g. cut one side after second connector so you get 2+3 on one side, space and then 5 on other side, then you can directly push dual header in the breadboard..) .. but more I'm getting proficient with smd more I just make a pcb, test stuff, make a second pcb, test stuff ...

Reply #12
I thought I'd share as well. I was working with Cypress 2.4GHz radios a few years back. The modules had 2mm DIL headers which were impossible to use on a breadboard. I had to bend and spread the legs out of a female 2mm box connector to get it soldered onto a DIP-spacing.

[attachment=0]
Cheers!
Rohit