Skip to main content
Topic: PIC/AVR high voltage programming adapter (Read 16886 times) previous topic - next topic

PIC/AVR high voltage programming adapter

I used this:
http://www.nomad.ee/micros/mc34063a/index.shtml

Vin      5      V
Vout  13      V
Iout       10mA
Vripple    200   mV(pp)
Fmin    100   kHz

Ct=271 pF
Ipk=62 mA
Rsc=4.839 Ohm
Lmin=437 uH
Co=3 uF
R=180 Ohm
R1=1.6k R2=15k (12.97V)

To calculate the parts value for the MC34063, but I didn't order the right parts so I had to make some substitutions.

I used:
Cin = 10uF tantalum
Cout=4.7uF
Rsc=1.5ohm
ct=220pf (too small!)
l=630uH/0.12A
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: PIC/AVR high voltage programming adapter

Reply #1
Ian, here is an alternate method of creating a higher voltage, just in case the chip is hard to obtain in large quantities.

http://spritesmods.com/?art=ucboost

BTW i get one when the finial design is out !

Reply #2
I did the same thing here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2009/12/ ... er-update/

but by using the mc34063a I saved a signal line and made an AVR high voltage programmer on the same board. The mc34063 is really common from multiple manufactures, availability shouldn't be a problem (hopefully).

Reply #3
Oops, I saw it before, but guessed the new design was an update of it (new pcb). Please forget my last post. :D

Reply #4
Is the schema somewhere available? I cant find it anywhere :(

Reply #5
I haven't published it yet because the values aren't all worked out. Would you like a copy?

Reply #6
sure!

The voltage isn't that critical, right?

Reply #7
Do you want a through-hole PCB or a SMD kit too? pppd's friend sent some extra parts I needed, they should be here soon. THen I can send a kit.

Reply #8
The schematic is fine for now ;) I just want to take a look at it.

SMD will be my choice, only if the components aren't to small and the pcb is stackable. :D

Reply #9
I'd just received the high voltage programming board from the Free PCB Sunday. May I know where can I find the full schematic and the parts list of it?

Reply #10
I don't know for sure yet, but I am afraid this adapter can't be used as HVSP for AVRs. There are too few pins available. In the HVSP mode there are 7 pins required:

Code: [Select]
1. RESET 12V
2. VCC   5V
3. GND   GND
4. SCI   SERIAL CLOCK IN
5. SDI   SERIAL DATA IN
6. SII   SERIAL INSTRUCTION IN
7. SDO   SERIAL DATA OUT

The VCC could be connected to an external power supply, but it won't help as we still need to control SCI, SDI, SII, RST and get data back from SDO.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reply #11
Could be, I'm not entirely sure. I thought fuses were set through the 4 wire ISP connection with a programming voltage on reset, if there's a different interface then it's likely that it won't work.

This was originally designed solely as a PIC programming adapter, and I thought why not add AVR too? There wasn't a whole lot more thought to it than that, so this is a very early (dangerous?) prototype:)

Reply #12
Is the design final? Because if there is one more controllable pin left on the BP side we could do something about it.

Reply #13
No, it can be changed. This was just a first draft. I looked at the datasheet and indeed an additional pin is required. I'm not sure where to get it though, because we're already using all 5 Bus Pirate pins.

Reply #14
Then maybe AVR ISP should be removed altogether as it can only serve as regular serial programmer, in which case the RESET pin should be 0-5V and not 12V. I am not sure the HVSP should be used to perform in-circuit programming so it would require a separate socket for the AVR anyway.