Skip to main content
Topic: Buspirate Windows GUI (Read 4839 times) previous topic - next topic

Buspirate Windows GUI

I am considering making an open source GUI for the bus pirate using windows C# im on preorder 2 so i will attempt this when i get the device

any feature ideas?
the most powerful tool in the hackers arsenal is social engineering ... a computer is only as secure as the person using it ... trick the person .. trick the computer
personal quote BiOzZ 2009

Re: Buspirate Windows GUI

Reply #1
What would be really nice for me is a simple terminal program made just for the Bus Pirate. Tera term is great but it has some problems like limited com port adjustment in the GUI, non-standard copy and paste, etc.

These kind of features would really enhance a plain serial terminal:

Real copy and past (Ctrl-C, ctrl-v) + mouse menu, the Bus Pirate doesn't use the control keys.

Text macro save and replay, or an editing box. Some way to keep your active command syntax in a box, edit it, and send it to the terminal. I currently use notepad for this, but the non-standard copy and paste between the two programs is maddening!

Arbitrary COM port setting from the GUI (higher than 6 or whatever most programs stop at).

Programming hot-key: send # to reset and then disconnect from the com port. I have to do this all the time to test firmware updates.

A simple connect/disconnect button. I have to do this through the tera term menus. Yuck.

Text file logging to share demonstrations.

Basically, I've just described RealTerm, but with less features and more user friendly.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
I was also considering making a C# windows GUI too, one that hides all the "low level" commands etc and just displays the results in a log window, but also would have a terminal tab with some of the features ian described... copy/paste would be top of the list!
As much as anything I was going to use it as a programming exercise since I usually program in C, but feel it's time to begin to learn something different...

Reply #3
[quote author="ian"]
What would be really nice for me is a simple terminal program made just for the Bus Pirate. Tera term is great but it has some problems like limited com port adjustment in the GUI, non-standard copy and paste, etc.

These kind of features would really enhance a plain serial terminal:

Real copy and past (Ctrl-C, ctrl-v) + mouse menu, the Bus Pirate doesn't use the control keys.

Text macro save and replay, or an editing box. Some way to keep your active command syntax in a box, edit it, and send it to the terminal. I currently use notepad for this, but the non-standard copy and paste between the two programs is maddening!

Arbitrary COM port setting from the GUI (higher than 6 or whatever most programs stop at).

Programming hot-key: send # to reset and then disconnect from the com port. I have to do this all the time to test firmware updates.

A simple connect/disconnect button. I have to do this through the tera term menus. Yuck.

Text file logging to share demonstrations.

Basically, I've just described RealTerm, but with less features and more user friendly.

[/quote]

(sorry for the delay i needed to go to newyork for some last second business -_-)
im going to start working on a graphical main menu that will contain other fourms (well you click a button thna the form pops up for ease) that will have a bunch of different things you can do with this and may implement the Saleae logic probe SDK for reading and emulating signals (maybe editing but thats what open source is for) and all windows will have a Terminal tab for quick steps with all the copy and paste shortcuts exc and if C# allows me some syntax check
thanks ian and bluesign2k and any one else who wants to help ... and excuse my english
the most powerful tool in the hackers arsenal is social engineering ... a computer is only as secure as the person using it ... trick the person .. trick the computer
personal quote BiOzZ 2009

Reply #4
Hi,

i have been playing with a GUI for the last few days.

As i am no programmer this is still in its early stages. im thinking of it more of a proof of concept rather than a finished program.

I have split the data into data sent and the data received and placed them into seperate windows. This should allow easy cutting and pasting.
Also i have added the option of a few macro buttons. ie, you type the command you want and it send it when you hit the button.

seems to work ok except that the buspirate cant keep up with the PC when sending multi command macro's.

ATM i have it set to 115k but i think the next thing is to add a baud rate selector option.

If anyone wants a play i can upload the setup program. I would attach the .zip file but its a little big (350k).

anyway here is a screenshot.

Peter

Reply #5
You could make a folder and add it to the SVN. trunk/wingui/
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.