Skip to main content
Topic: OLS 0.95 settings for original sump logic (Read 3883 times) previous topic - next topic

OLS 0.95 settings for original sump logic

Hi,jawi,

Thanks for your great work on the OLS 0.95!

I am using the Xilinx Spartan-3 starter board as the original sump logic. The first question is, When in the Poppitz' software, I can set Channel Groups 0 1 2 3 checked with Recording Size of 256K. whlie in OLS 0.95, I select "original sump device', and set Channel Groups 0 1 2 3 checked with Recording Size of only 64K. why is the sample buffer modified smaller? is this limit in the software?

Another question is, the port speed of OLS 0.95 now is 115200bps. I used a ft232rl board connecting the FPGA board with PC and modified the VHDL code to get a faster speed. can this OLS 0.95 work with a faster transfer speed, 115200x4, x8? That will save much transfer time and make a great experience.

Alex

Re: OLS 0.95 settings for original sump logic

Reply #1
Alexli,

I've never played with the original SUMP-device myself, but assumed that the 256kB of memory was bound to the number of channel groups, as it is for the OLBS. So, if this is not the case, could you file an issue on GitHub (it is a trivial fix)? Note, you can override the "maximum recording size", if you want. Although the client gives you a warning about the "too large sample size", it will continue the capture with the correct settings...

As for the serial port speed, there is currently a limitation in the used serial library that prevents the use of rates beyond 115k2; there might be a fix for it, but haven't looked at it yet...

Thanks for reporting this,

HtH
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #2
jawi,

Thank for your quick reply! The prototype Sump Logic is based on the Xilinx Spartan-3 starter kit, which has 2 x IS61LV25616AL-10T on board providing total 1MByte storage. I think it a very useful feature when playing capture.

The 115200bps is too slow for transferring 1MByte data, meaning the process will cost one hundred and more seconds. It is really headache for us.

I found the Poppitz' software use rxtxcomm to implement the serial communication,  can that way make a faster rate?

i have been working on mcu and FPGA fields for years, but lack the experience of developing java. I downloaded your java code and tried to make some change. but the eclipse+maven environment is so hard that i even have no idea how to begin to build and run a project. Maybe I have to invest more time into this complex system.

Alex

Reply #3
alexli,

The RXTXcomm originally used by the SUMP software contains several major bugs which the maintainers do not want (or are willing) to fix. The PureJavaComm library used in my client is a bit more versatile & maintainable than RXTX (it doesn't use JNI for starters). I'll look into it whether it is possible to increase the port speed...

Reply #4
jawi,

I downloaded your source code of the client software and followed the steps in README. I got through the "$ mvn eclipse:eclipse" and the eclipse+M2E can open the whole project. Now the problem is, after I made some changes in the source code, that is modification of the recording size's upper limits for original sump, how could I generate the final executable files? I spent a week to understand how the maven works, but that made me upset.

can you drop me some instructions as you do in the README,  like "$ cd ols/, $ mvn clean install, $ mvn eclipse:eclipse", that will save me a great deal of time.

Alex

Reply #5
Maven isn't the most intuitive interface for non Java-programmers, I agree.

However, while your efforts are good, I think your bug can be fixed quite easily. Simply changing the [tt:]device.capturesize.bound[/tt:] property in the [tt:]ols.profile-sump.cfg[/tt:] file from true to false should do the trick. You can find this file in the 'plugins/' directory of your OLS installation. You can do this for your current installation without any problems.

I've also committed this change already to the main repository, so as of 0.9.6 the memory limit is no longer bound to the number of capture groups...

Reply #6
hi,  jawi

i used my original sump logic and found it painful to upload 1MByte data with the speed of 115200bps, almost one and a half minute. I google through the net and found this thread. http://mailman.qbang.org/pipermail/rxtx ... 45044.html. it said    "The 'standard' baud rates as far as JTermios is concerned are the standard
> POSIX baud rates ie
> 50,75,110,134,150,200,300,1200,1800,2400,4800,9600,19200,38400.
>
> But if I made myself clear you above you are not limited to these, in Mac
> OS X
> I think at least 14400 and 57600 are supported and in Windows in addition
> to those
> there is 56000,115200,128000 and 256000. "

Can you show me how to set your client with a com speed "256000"? it would help save a lot of time.

Thank you.

alexli

Reply #7
@alexli: I've but up a first beta of the upcoming 0.9.6 online (see this post) which also contains a custom build of the serial library that should support baud rates higher than 115k2. I've not tested it as thoroughly on all platforms, so hopefully it works for you out-of-the-box...