Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Group signals and display them in HEX (Read 3728 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Group signals and display them in HEX

Hi,

I have been working on my CheapScope logic analyser project for Xilinx parts again today, and have been using the OLS Client from http://www.lxtreme.nl/ols/.

It has been a lot of fun.

The interface for me is a PicoBlaze program, so naturally I set the sample capture engine to work capturing data from the PicoBlaze: the address bus and a part of each instruction coming out. By saving the capture and looking at it I can see the addresses it is accessing, but then I thought:

Wouldn't it be create if you could specify that channels 10-17 were a group of signals that should also be displayed in hex, perhaps above the group or perhaps as you mouse over them,

I currently know squat about Java so it is a bit daunting to think about adding such a feature to the code.

Re: Feature Request: Group signals and display them in HEX

Reply #1
group/reordering of groups was already mentioned as a request.
but the hex thing is already there more or less: diagram/diagram mode settings...

Reply #2
Sorry to bring up an old thread...  but was this ever implemented?

I'd like to take like a random 4 bits and assign them to a group and display a hex value?  Right now the only way I see to do this would be to make sure my probe ordering was correct and have to use group1 (channels 8-15 since channel 0 is not available when using RLE)  I just started playing with my OLS and the java client.

Do I understand this correctly?

BTW...  This is pretty kick ass!  Nice piece of software!

Jim

Reply #3
Actually, that is not quite correct.  It's channel 7 that you give up when configured for 8 channels with RLE enabled.  It's always the highest numbered channel that gets used for RLE.  So, for a 16 channel config you give up channel 15, etc.  As for keeping the channels in order when setting up a group, yes that is true.  This reflects the way the HP/Agilent 16550 from which the OLS seems to be heavily borrowing.  There are other high end Logic analyzers that allow arbitrary grouping/ordering amongst the channels, but the OLS client doesn't allow that, or if it does, I'm not aware of how to do it.

B.B.

Reply #4
Aside to what B.B. said:
for the "new" signal display component I'm working on, it will be possible to reorder & regroup captured results. In addition, it allows you to display the hex-symbols for those groups as well.
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #5
@B.B...  I was incorrect..  It is the high bit..  coincidentally, when I enabled RLE my probe must have fallen off and I was getting noise on channel 0 which I misinterpreted as how the RLE manifested itself.  After I RTFM then I saw that it was supposed to be
the high bit.

@jawi:  I can't wait to try it out.  Is this something in the near future or far off?

Reply #6
@jbuszkie: I'll prepare a runnable demo of the latest version of the signal display component... Keep an eye on the client sub forum to see its announcement in a couple of days...
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #7
Hello!

Is this feature actually exist in OLS Client, cause i cant find it. Using whole channel as group is sometimes troublesome, for e.g. i have 12 inputs already in use and remaining 4 signals i would like to use as 4-bit bus monitor. If i set 2nd channel to display value, first 4 signals will interfere with 4 bits of bus resulting in giving false values and changes to it within all first 4 signals changes.  I could buy a buffer wing and use another channel, but then i have less sample memory to my will, so it could be nice if i could input "FROM TO" and decide which signals should be decoded. Would be nice to add even an other decoders like gray for example.

Have a pleasure with your work anyway. :)