Skip to main content
Topic: Python-based Client (Read 12411 times) previous topic - next topic

Python-based Client

Yet another client, this one written in Python 2.  It depends on wxPython, pySerial and NumPy packages.  I'm developing and testing in Ubuntu Linux, but with luck it will run under Windows and OS/X as well.

The most basic installation will be to unpack the source into a directory, and run it from there.  It's run from the command line, but once suitable .ini files are set up it can be run from a mouse click.

Source code and documentation are available through <http://melwilsonsoftware.ca/> .

Licensed under GPL version 3.

Cheers,        Mel.

Re: Python-based Client

Reply #2
There are a bunch on the website <http://www.melwilsonsoftware.ca/logic-sniffer/index.html> .  I could attach some in the forum, if that's allowed, I guess.

Reply #3
Please attach some pohotos, love to see them. I'll post this up tomorrow.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
Here's the promo screenshot:

Main window:

SUMP setup:

UART Analyzer setup:

UART Data:

Cheers,        Mel.

Reply #5
That's great!  You should do a java port next!    I've decided to use java for everything as its cross platform and will run on any interperater.  Python 3.0 screwed my interest in learning python. 

Don't take me wrong.  This is awesome!

Reply #6
@mwilson: It certainly looks familiar... ;) Will give it a spin somewhere soon... Good job!
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #7
@adamoutler, what's wrong with python 3 compared to older versions? I do speak many languages (over 60) and python is the only one that disgust me .. but I did not found anything especially ugly with v3 ?

Reply #8
[quote author="jawi"] It certainly looks familiar... ;) ...[/quote]

Yes, I had some influences and some inspiration ;).  Without the java client to run, I would never have figured out what the Logic Sniffer was doing.  Thanks.

As for a Java port adamoutler mentioned, there are good reasons for me to build up some competence in Java, but it won't happen overnight.  Anyway, it's open source.  If any ideas emerge in the python client that are worth implementing in a java client, that's all good, right?

Reply #9
[quote author="arhi"]@adamoutler, what's wrong with python 3 compared to older versions? I do speak many languages (over 60) and python is the only one that disgust me .. but I did not found anything especially ugly with v3 ?[/quote]
I've been programming since I was 9..  Python 3 is like the time when Microsoft released .NET back in 2000ish.  I was familiar with Visual Studio 5, however with .NET, I could not even display a textbox. 

Now, instead of building upon Python's existing foundations, in Python3 they broke just about everything I had learned about Python 2.6...  I decided at that point, if they can't support the hobbiest programmer, then I won't support them.

I don't get paid to learn programming languages.  I program in my spare time..  I don't want to have to learn a new language with each version, and I don't want to have to specify a version of an interperater with every program.  They're not stable enough.  Java has been through similar changes but nothing drastic.  Also, the same programs you wrote on Windows in 2001,  still work 10 years later with a double-click on Linux.

Reply #10
@mwilson
This looks great, very useful for me as I'm much happier coding in python, any chance of a donate/flattr button somewhere on your page?

Reply #11
Any chance of adding the 'setup.py' file to your code, so I may package it for more portable installation

Thanks

-- Russ herrold

Reply #12
@justyn
I'm flattered that you approve so much. For now, I'm in it more for the fame than the fortune.  If I get more prolific, I guess a donate/flattr button will be a good idea.  For now, I get to ignore all those spam messages "Your Pay-Pal account has been suspended ..."
Hope pyLogicSniffer continues to be useful.

Reply #13
@herrold
I was hoping I could wait till the code was more mature before I did a setup.  I'm still kind of new to production Python.. I've set up library packages before, but not applications.

For example, I know sump.py could appropriately be put into site-packages.  I'm not sure about logic_sniffer.py and its application-code friends.  Any suggestions as to how you would like to see this set up?

In the meantime I've added a save-to-CSV feature.

Reply #14
Tought I would give it a go but just got:
Code: [Select]
  File "./logic_sniffer.py", line 27
    time_units_text = ['nS', u'u03bcS', 'mS', 'S']
                                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Don't know python, so won't bother trying again.  Is your project still alive?