Skip to main content
Topic: HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron driver (Read 641685 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron dri

Reply #780
Thank you for the insight.

Dunno if it might be useful, but I found a comparison between original and clone hakko heaters, in the eevblog forum.

This forum prevents me to post the full link, thus, who's interested may google:

"genuine-vs-fake-hakko-936-ceramic-heater-a1321"

Reply #782
I would like to build the soldering iron driver. I see that the pcb is available from Seeed and a BOM is available here:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Pat ... evelopment

I know this is a lot to ask, but has anyone put together a supplier list to go along with the BOM to ake it easier to put together the orders?

Thanks.

Reply #783
no supplier list :(

btw u sure you want to make this ? you can get much more elastic driver with more functions for the price below pcb and parts ?!

Reply #784
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure I how to build it or where to get the parts. I had not checked any prices yet.

I am experimenting with thermocouple sensors but I also want to experiment with a hakko 907. I have seen a few controllers that work with the hakko 907 ptc sensor. Are there any that work with thermocouple sensor like the solomon sl-30 iron? I would really like one that works with both but I don't know if that exists.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Reply #785
if you want to play with it, change firmware etc, then this driver is ok as compared to most I seen it's the only open source one, but if you just want a driver that works out of the box then bunch of drivers on ebay offer simpler board, ac/dc input, both 2,3 and 4 wire operation (my driver support only 4 wire operation)...

most expensive part - the transformer - note that you need 24VAC transformer, 25VAC or worse 26VAC will quickly kill most of your clone irons so you need to shoot for something like 23VAC to be on the safe side.. on the other hand if you go too much below that it takes an age to heat up the iron... if you take too powerful transformer 24V it is more like 26-28V unloaded and if it is for e.g. 200W transformer the 50W iron is not enough to load it so it's still ~26V going into iron and while original heater will deal with that most clones will die in few days/weeks

most difficult to find part - mcp619 - it is standard low offset, low noise instrumentation op-amp from microchip but what I did not know when I chose it that it's rarely available "off the shelve" and you always have to back-order it.

the pic on the board, well it's a rarity these days to find 18f2550 on the shelves of stores + there was a huge demand for those for some ps3 or xbox360 hack so they are also quite hard to find these days

with so much cheap pcb prototyping companies out there, why don't you just take the idea, basic schematic, and make pcb yourself adapting it to your need?

Reply #786
Thank you for the good advice. This is very helpful. I have some ideas on how to proceed, now.

I was planning on experimenting with a cheap 24v transformer + a Solomon SL-30 iron. I have a PID controller plus an SSR for the test. Now I am thinking that I must a.) check the output voltage from that transformer in the circuit when it is live and b) put a dummy load resistor on it to give it some load. I have a whole bag of power resistors from an earlier project and I should be able to find one of them that will work. I didn't realize that only a couple of volts extra would fry the iron.

Re:
> with so much cheap pcb prototyping companies out there, why don't you just take the idea, basic schematic, and make pcb yourself adapting it to your need?
>

I think that is where this is is all heading to. I will start to gather information on that.

If anyone is interested, I could post a link to the first part of the project which has been worked out. I have managed to mount a thermocouple internally into a 110v ordinary plug-in soldering iron. I have a test video that shows readings at 200, 250, 300 and 350°C. I want a better controller for that iron plus the 24v irons. Maybe the same controller?? Not sure yet.

Reply #788
Hi and greetings

I have a question that you may know,i am planing to buy an solomon sl-20 ,and i want to know if i can replace the original solder station plug and iron and replace directly with a hakko one .
If anyone has a schematick that i can use to replace i would appreciate

Best Regards

JOSÉ

Reply #789
sl20 use TC sensor, hakko uses RTD so no they are not interchangeable. you can use this or some other universal driver to drive both solomon and hakko but original hakko cannot drive solomon nor original solomon can drive hakko handle

Reply #790
Thank you for your reply.
I get a little lost on this post because appeared to be 2 diferent pcb and pic chips ,also 2 diferent lcd displays
Also see a pcb that has a usb port.
Witch one do you recomen to use a hakko iron tip?
Do you know if it can handle a kada iron?

Best Regards

JOSÉ

Reply #791
http://sid.crsndoo.com/ is where latest schematic, pcb, firmware can be downloaded from (Driver from this thread), and this driver can run both solomon and hakko .. no idea what's kada :(

here: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Open-S ... -1282.html
is the trough hole version od the pcb (made by dangerousprototypes)

Reply #792
Thank you for the reply.

i would post a url with the kada 852 station but the forum doesn´t let me :/

Reply #794
Yess !!!

that is the one !

do you think it could work with those irons ?

and i like the through hole project it´s a pitty that doesn´t have the pcb in pdf :/