Skip to main content
Topic: Where to buy CMS/SMD components kits ? (Read 10059 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to buy CMS/SMD components kits ?

Hello,
I wanted to know where do you buy CMS/SMD components kits?
I basically bought some of them from SureElectronics (0805), and some on ebay, now I would like to switch to 0603 and 0402. Where do you suggest me to buy Cap and Res kits?

Regards

Re: Where to buy CMS/SMD components kits ?

Reply #1
There was a whole discussion on SMD kits a while ago in this topic, check it out!
Not sure if there's are a lot of 0402 kits though.

Reply #2
Thanks Rubu,
I remembered that there were a discussion about that in the OLD forum, and I couldnt find it again, this is why I posted. Also in the old discussion there were no much aswers about 0402 components.
I'll order today the 0603 parts from http://www.mdfly.com

Regards

Reply #3
There aren't indeed many rc kits for 0402. I guess it scares most hobbyist so it isn't profittable to stock one.

Reply #4
I soldered ~10 0402 resistors in my life, and it was naaaaaasty .. I do not look forward for the next time I have to do it

Reply #5
0402 capacitors are more and more used with today chips, especially for decoupling as close as possible to IC package. This is why I'm looking at 0402 ;)

Reply #6
smd can be scary to get used to start with 0805 and work your way down from there

0402 takes nerves of titanium and a large dose of muscle-relaxers

0603 is doable with good tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Reply #7
Just received 0603 parts kits (res and capa) from http://www.mdfly.com
Extremely well packaged, labeled, really very clean.
I also ordered some sets of the pre-cut connection wires for prototyping.
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_pag ... cts_id=363
I first saw them in Ian's post (thanks Ian). Really awesome these wires, and they solder very well :)

Reply #8
I think that might have been Sjaak's post :) I don't think I've ordered from mdfly before.

Is your kit in strips or baggies?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #10
that's really nice, I'll have to get those!
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #11
i like the price of those kits, i don't mind getting the binder separately. as i'm in need of capacitor kits, ill probably go that route.

i spent $10 for an E24 kit on eBay and they were supposed to be labeled but i had to read the individual values on the back of the resistors. i took the time to measure them through the tape and label them myself.

Reply #12
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]i don't mind getting the binder separately. [/quote]

I for sure mind about that. I got some times ago the kit from sureelectronics and they sent me components (each value) in labeled little bags.
The problem is that when you open a bag, you need to find someway to keep res or capa of same values separate from others or you'll for sure mix them :(

With those res/capa in binder and (more important) in trips makes things really cooler. You got all values labeled, and noway to lose components.

Reply #13
it took about an hour to go through all the strips. but it is still easier to read the back of the tape than to read the resistors every time.

i can get binders for $0.50 ea, id rather do that than pay double shipping.

Reply #14
mdfly did also stamp the value on the back of the strips and stuff it on the right place in the binder :) Very nice! They also have recently added an inductor kit. I really like the guys as they ship fast for a reasonable price.

I also have the sure kit in bags and it took me two days (evenings actually) to put them into little boxes. The resistors weren't in strips but just loose (?) in the bags.