Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3″ Two Digits 7-Segment LED Information Board MTO (Read 2223 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3″ Two Digits 7-Segment LED Information Board MTO

not "really" a project but I ordered bunch of 7seg modules from sure and I noticed on the product page lot of ppl complained about lack on info on how to drive them. As I plan to use them (for some clock as I don't see well without glasses so I want to make something I can see from bed without first trying to find my glasses) I spent few moments to figure out how they work, made some functional schematic (not really a true schematic but good enough for the "how to drive this" purpose) and put some simple example code in picc for 16f690 (I had that one on the table already so ... it is 3 wire control, really no need to get anything powerful :D ... )

it might be easy to make a buspirate macro to drive them but not sure how useful that would be :D ... I used buspirate for initial bit banging to find out where each segment is positioned... (I'm still on some age old firmware there, but it works so had no need to upgrade it :D )

anyhow, the schematic, source, some txt 2.3″ Two Digits 7-Segment LED Information Board MTO blog post on my blog (this one is in English contrary to most of posts there that are not)

Re: 2.3″ Two Digits 7-Segment LED Information Board MTO

Reply #1
Don't forget to share the clock too :) Do you have any special features planned?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #2
of course I'll share the clock, but it will also be uninteresting as no, I do not plan any features other then "show time"... maybe I will put some "brightness vs ambient light" control as at full power these boys are too bright .. and maybe if I decide not to throw that wifi web server I got from sureelectronics in garbage I attach it to a clock and make it sync the time with some time server... but I think there is better chance of me making youtube video of that web server blending in blender or flying out of the airplane window or something like that ...

Reply #3
No special features .... to bad ... I was wishing for some magic geek features that will kick me out of the bed and make me ready to go every morning !  :o)

Reply #4
You mentioned how bright they were, so I thought maybe brightness control. On clocks I usually leave a footprint for a Microchip analog temperature sensor, then if you ever have the desire, it's there.

If you blend the server please let me know :) We'll post it up!
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.