Skip to main content
Topic: Alternate Ethernet MAC/PHY IC's (Read 8187 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternate Ethernet MAC/PHY IC's

There are the Microchip set of IC's ENC424J600 etc. but with issues of the software licensing.  Microchip

Wiznet has a series of chips but I dont know about the software. TCP/IP Chip. Attached is an article on using the W5100 with the PIC18F. 

Any others to look at?
"Too many projects, so little time"

Re: Alternate Ethernet MAC/PHY IC's

Reply #1
One word: price.

Checking eBay there are three Wiznet-based Arduino shields listed for between $37 and $60.

On the other hand, there are 82 Microchip ENC28J60 modules listed for between $4.98 and $23.

Also, I don't really think the Microchip software licensing has much impact on the ENC chips as you don't have to use the Microchip drivers (the Arduino folks certainly aren't :).

Reply #2
On a side note.  The symbol in the DP Eagle library for the Hanrun HR911105A is not correct.  The capacitor on the TD secondary centertap does not go to pin 13.  In fact there is no connection on pins 13 and 14.  The capacitor is connected to pin 8 and connects to the centertaps through 75 ohm resistors and 75 ohm resistors to the UTP side.  Pin 8 should be connected to ground.  Pin 7 is POE, although not used on this connector, should be brought out.  Everything else is ok.

Itead is using Hanrun HR911105A on their http://breakout board and they connect it the same way as DP with 13 and 14 connected to ground.

Itead has a RJ45 Ethernet Socket With POE Function which appears to have the same footprint but the internal resistor/capacitors are not shown on the datasheet.

So what gives?

Reply #3
[quote author="Trev"]One word: price.

Checking eBay there are three Wiznet-based Arduino shields listed for between $37 and $60.

On the other hand, there are 82 Microchip ENC28J60 modules listed for between $4.98 and $23.

Also, I don't really think the Microchip software licensing has much impact on the ENC chips as you don't have to use the Microchip drivers (the Arduino folks certainly aren't :).[/quote]

I am not looking at shields but raw chips.  Also big difference between Wiznet W5100/5300 and the Microchip ENC28J60.  Wiznet W5100/5300 are closer to the Microchip ENC424J600/624J600 parts.

Price on the Wiznet parts are $4.22-$4.76.  Microchip parts are $3.58-$3.87.  Cost is a toss up.

Reply #4
Seeed sent me that footprint for the very first DP project. I had already developed with a different one, but locating a local source in China is always cheaper, so we swapped it out on the production prototypes. I have not verified against the datasheet.

Integrated magnetic ethernet jacks are always a pain. This one is at least cheap, but also difficult to find. I never know what to tell people when they need one for a board, but I notice there's a couple on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HanRun-HR911105A-RJ ... 41573d21aa
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #5
[quote author="ian"]Seeed sent me that footprint for the very first DP project. I had already developed with a different one, but locating a local source in China is always cheaper, so we swapped it out on the production prototypes. I have not verified against the datasheet.

Integrated magnetic ethernet jacks are always a pain. This one is at least cheap, but also difficult to find. I never know what to tell people when they need one for a board, but I notice there's a couple on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HanRun-HR911105A-RJ ... 41573d21aa[/quote]

I was looking at the difference in the DP symbol and the datasheet.  The data sheet says you are supposed to ground pin 8 but nobody does it.  Beats me.

Apparently Itead also has a source for the HR911105A because they use it on their breakout board.  HanRun also shows it on their website.  They also have the RJ45 Ethernet Socket With POE Function which appears to be a drop in.  I will double check.

Asian parts sources are a pain.  It used to be Japanese transistors would come and go.  Only alternative is to go to the more expensive US or EU venders.

If I get a chance I will go to my getting places here in Taiwan and see what they have.

McZ

Reply #6
The HY91105A seems compatible. See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HanRun-105A-RJ45-Co ... 4150b4307e

Looking at the data sheets, I cannot see any difference - someone in the Microchip forums reports using the HY911105A with ENC424J600 chips.

Reply #7
[quote author="Trev"]The HY91105A seems compatible. See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HanRun-105A-RJ45-Co ... 4150b4307e

Looking at the data sheets, I cannot see any difference - someone in the Microchip forums reports using the HY911105A with ENC424J600 chips.[/quote]

I saw the post in the Microchip forum.  I have looked at both data sheets and dont see any difference.

I was more interested in the differences between the symbol and the data sheet.