Skip to main content
Topic: Client beta testers (Read 49925 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Client beta testers

Reply #45
I've done some initial testing a few days ago, but I still need to complete the full test which should be by Monday before submitting my report. I've updated my local copy of the new signal control, significant improvement from the last time I built it :)

Reply #46
[quote author="pppd"]I've updated my local copy of the new signal control, significant improvement from the last time I built it :)[/quote]

Yeah, I finally got some time to make some improvements on that part... For all interested: I'll publish some screenshots soon...
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #47
I'm a little late because of the recent events in Japan (was awfully busy before that). I might not be able to test it this time (all my stuff is back at Japan, I'm in Turkey for another week) but next week, I'll ve OK.

Reply #48
To all interested: I've released a first beta of OLS 0.9.5! See the "client releases" opening post for download links, or this posting for additional release details.

This release will include a substitute library for the dreaded RXTX library: PureJavacomm, which no longer needs binary libraries in order to communicate with the serial hardware. As this is a major (internal) overhaul of the client, I'd like to request as many people as possible to try it out on different platforms and report not only their success stories, but also whether they've found any strange issues...

Thanks and happy testing!

Reply #49
Thanks

Reply #50
Another beta for the 0.9.5 is uploaded; see the "client releases" opening post for download links...

@Tarloth: you're welcome! :)

Reply #51
Hi peeps,

I've put up a first beta of 0.9.6, which is still a moving target, but I would like to get feedback on it before releasing a final version.

I do not have a full list of improvements, but a few highlights:
  • New signal display component is in place! While not yet as customizable as the previous one, it does provides the ability to DnD channels, have proper context menus, allow disabling/enabling channels and so on;
  • New way of measuring stuff in signals (see Tools menu): it allows you to count transitions, clock speed, duty cycle;
  • Added the ability to run a OLS over the network; this patch is initially provided by Marcin Zapolski (thanks for that!). I've not tested it in much detail, and needs an additional "server" for the OLS on the other side which is not yet provided;
  • Added a custom build of the used serial library to support baud rates higher than 115k2;
  • (more to come)...

Bugs and improvements, as always, can be entered through GitHub: https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues.

Reply #52
Nice job, thanks Jawi, we'll post this up
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #53
Hi Jawi,

I'm just testing it (with WindowsXP SP3), and it's amazing, very smooth display, very promising.

1st Bug found:
I use extreme case ;-)
I have a Serial Baud configured to 5.25MegaBauds (on channel 10) and even without any cursor when i set manually to 5250000 and I click on Analyze the plugin tell me 5263157 (exact: 5263157) and Decoded bytes 0, Detected bus errors 0 and no data when in fact there's lot of data which work fine when I read them with my PC and FT2232H.
2nd Bug:
If I set cursor 1 and cursor 2 on Channel 10 to check the Frequency and I choose "2: Measure" display Cursor A is 0 or 1 but display tell me it's 1 and 2 and Frequency us NaNmHz ... except time with is 2.67us.

Things I would like:
* Refresh bug to fix for example when scrolling Cursor it disappear (but it is a beta).
* Add the possibility to click on Left Mouse Button and move mouse left or right to scroll the signals to left or right like before.
* Coloured channels like before.
* Options to Enable/Disable Scope/Summary

See by attachment my ols file [attachment=0]
Best Regards
Benjamin
Best Regards
Benjamin

Reply #54
[quote author="TitanMKD"]
1st Bug found:
I use extreme case ;-)
I have a Serial Baud configured to 5.25MegaBauds (on channel 10) and even without any cursor when i set manually to 5250000 and I click on Analyze the plugin tell me 5263157 (exact: 5263157) and Decoded bytes 0, Detected bus errors 0 and no data when in fact there's lot of data which work fine when I read them with my PC and FT2232H.
[/quote]

I've not yet tested in much detail, but the decoding works on my machine; albeit slowly, it takes about 10-20 seconds to fully decode your captured signal (you'll see the annotations getting painted). I've to look at this on a Windows laptop to be sure it works correctly...

[quote author="TitanMKD"]
2nd Bug:
If I set cursor 1 and cursor 2 on Channel 10 to check the Frequency and I choose "2: Measure" display Cursor A is 0 or 1 but display tell me it's 1 and 2 and Frequency us NaNmHz ... except time with is 2.67us.

Things I would like:
* Refresh bug to fix for example when scrolling Cursor it disappear (but it is a beta).
* Add the possibility to click on Left Mouse Button and move mouse left or right to scroll the signals to left or right like before.
* Coloured channels like before.
* Options to Enable/Disable Scope/Summary
[/quote]

I'm working hard on all the refresh/repaint bugs (which mostly occur on Windows, so that's why I've not seen them before :S)

As for the other points: you should be able to right click on a channel/summary/scope label to change its properties (label, color and height). Unfortunately, in the 0.9.6b1 there's a bug that prevents this from working on Windows platforms (I've already fixed it in the main repository for 0.9.6b2).
I'll implement the ability to scroll with click + drag.

Thanks for your report!

Reply #55
depending on the amount of time required, I can test linux also ;) Gentoo 64bit here.