Bus Pirate
[ 1 ] (3%)
Other (please describe below)
[ 1 ] (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: December 11, 2009, 01:48:57 pm

Topic: How do you program PICs? (Read 4082 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you program PICs?

I program with an ICD2, but I started with a self-built JDM, and self-build ICD2 clone. I eventually bought the real-deal ICD2 so I could debug at 3.3volts (PICKIT2 wasn't really a debugger at the time).
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: How do you program PICs?

Reply #1
Any reason the ICD3 is not listed as an option?

I never developed with PICs before, I thought until a few days ago when I found a PIC Starter Kit (the one with a 40-pin DIL socket) hidden away in a rack that must be about 8 or 9 years old.

For Bus Pirate firmware updates/swaps I use the built-in bootloader and got a PICKIT3 a few days ago due to my interest in various Dangerous Prototypes projects.

Reply #2
I got the ICD2 with a 16-bit experimenter board from Microchip for the 16-bit embedded design contest. They included a number of very enticing coupons with the chip sampler :) However, due to time constraints, I didn't manage to get anything submitted.
Vote "Logic Ninja" or "Bit Ninja" for the DangerousPrototypes SUMP Logic Analyzer!

Reply #3
Hi

I bought the icd2 clone from Olimex, because my self built icd2 clone could not programm the pics used in the bus pirate.This was the first time my clone could not programm a pic chip.

Cheers
Rubi

Reply #4
I have used home made jdm for a long time. I figured i cannot program the newer dspic30/33. So my brother build some "LPT" programmer. Last year during one project i have been "donated" pickit2.

Pickit2 is actually programmer, compared to others i have tried - the speed is incomparable :), and i like the openness of the design.

Reply #5
Hi,

I started with a homemade JDM programmer (~11 years ago), then I bought a PIC Start + programmer which still works with my homemade upgrade module. After some time, I built a copy of the ICD (first version of the well known ICD2) for the flash PIC16F87x family. Some years later, I bought an ICD 2 and in the last year I bought the ICD 3.
Best Regards,
johnmx

Reply #6
Hi,

is it possible to use a PICkit 2 to debug the dsPIC33 on the web platform?

Kind regards,
Markus

Reply #7
Yes, I believe it is.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #8
Great!  I just ordered one.  Keep up the good work.

Reply #9
Just a heads up that the header on the Web Platform v1c is to close the the Ethernet port the be connected directly by the PICkit2.
I have started another topic on this at http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=583.0

Reply #10
I bought three PIC KIT2 clones from PIC16.com (QLS electronics) before realizing that the official Microchip PICkit 2 was only $5 extra.  Since then, QLS has added a case (mine have a clear plexi cover on the bottom only) and increased the price above what Microchip charges.  The only other difference is that Microchip seems unable to keep the PICkit 2 in stock at all times.  I recommend the $29 option with no extras, unless you need the extras.

By the way, my first PIC16.com programmer burned out when a client sent me a board that they had populated on their own pick & place.  I didn't realize that a solder bridge had shorted power and ground - at least not until my programmer went up in smoke.  The next two PIC16.com programmers were intended as a replacement and a spare.  I eventually completely repaired the original PIC16.com programmer by purchasing the one transistor that was blown (it was easy to diagnose by the puff of smoke on the inside of the plexi cover).  I had to use a heat gun to remove the bad part, but managed not to ruin anything else.

I now use the PICkit 2 whenever there is room for it to connect.  I use the PIC16.com PIC KIT2 whenever I only have room for a cable and header (which includes the USB IR Toy!).

Reply #11
PICkit 2 clone are not bad, thought you can buy original from microchip online, they don't support all countries, they send you to "resellers" better buy on ebay :)