Skip to main content
Topic: V1c Programing header and PICkit2 (Read 2297 times) previous topic - next topic

V1c Programing header and PICkit2

Just thought i would let everyone know that the Web Platform version 1c cannot be used with the PICkit2 easily. The programming header is to close to the Ethernet port to allow a connection. I am going to be soldering on a right-angled header later and will let everyone know how that works out. I think with a right-angled connector there will still be issues with the USB port when a cable is in.

Love the hardware, keep the good work up!

Re: V1c Programing header and PICkit2

Reply #2
My PicKit2 clone (Sure Electronics $US 24.99) came with assorted cables and headers, so no problem connecting to the web platform header.

Reply #3
Good topic for everyone to consider.

If someone has experience creating Eagle packages, then it might help the community to create a footprint for the 6-pin PICkit 2 that includes a tKeepout polygon large enough to represent the clearance needed by the PICkit 2 when directly connected.  If other components on the board like USB connectors, LEDs, etc. have similar tKeepout polygons, then the DRC (Design Rule Check) in Eagle will warn about such clearance issues.

I might eventually do this if I have time. Since it might be a while before I get around to it, I thought I would suggest it here in case someone else can do it. We might as well share Eagle packages since we're probably all using Eagle to keep up with Dangerous Prototypes designs. I wonder if Microchip provides specifications for the PICkit 2.

Reply #4
I don't think an EAGLE component is really necessary:
* When using an angled connector, it is not really an issue.
* Placing small components like SMD resistors, which do not interfere with the PICkit, would be prevented by a keepout polygon.
* The keepout polygon may force one to waste space

Reply #5
Sure, and Eagle package isn't necessary, but it would be convenient for future boards.
You have the option of manually approving any conflict that might appear, such as an SMD, and Eagle will remember this until you move things around.
Keepout does not prevent any placement or force one to waste space. Note that if you have tKeepout hidden, which is the default, then DRC will completely ignore it anyway.

I admit that it's an abuse of a 2D CAD program to use it in this way for crude 3D conflicts, but I've found it to be incredibly helpful. Clients are amazed when things line up so well in the first prototype, and it's because I use these layers.

By the way, I also use this trick with headers, because the typical ribbon cable is wider than the header hardware that is soldered on. I almost always place an SMD capacitor in the space where my keepout covers it, because I know the ribbon connector won't hit it, but it allows me to more easily predict how close I can place headers to other things besides SMD parts. It's really simple to "approve" a conflict, and Eagle will remember it for the life of the project. I'm only suggesting this for the PICKit2 header since the general idea has worked for me so well before.