Skip to main content
Topic: FT2332H Why? (Read 4534 times) previous topic - next topic

FT2332H Why?

So hopefully this doesn't come out sounding like a trollish question but what's the reasoning behind the FT2332H breakout board?

For Serial logging from a micro the bus pirate seems just as good, though I'm guessing not as fast if you are running really high rates.
For i2c/SPI testing the bus pirate has all that nice firmware logic built in.
For JTAG I could see it being useful but its much less so without a 20 pin header.

The only thing I could think to use this for is if I had a design that needed USB and wanted to test out this chip for inclusion.  But then if you are at the design stage of a project why not pick a micro with USB already baked in?

OK so where am I wrong and what am I missing?  Why is this thing the best thing since sliced bread?

Re: FT2332H Why?

Reply #1
it is all about the features, giving full access to the chip.

Reply #2
The ft2232h is a 480Mbps USB 2.0 chip with multiple serial engines. For raw serial Coms it blows the bus pirate and it's 0.1Mbps interface out of the water. The ft2232 can program a JTAG device or flash rom in seconds, the bus pirate can take hours for large roms. Ahri, a forum member, also turned it into a 60 or 80 MHz logic analyzer.

Another thing about the ft2232 is that it's used in all sorts of applications. It is out of the box compatible with flashrom, urjtag, openocd, etc, etc. It doesn't have a JTAG header, which there is really no standard anyways, but all the pi ns are available f or whatever use.

Also nobody is selling an open source breakout for this board. It requires way more circuit than most of the breakouts spark fun does. Ftdi sells a module, it's at mouser and digikey for 27-40 bucks. We had 20 made and could sell it at 27 bucks and make a profit, but if we have 100 made we can get that even lower, target is 23 to 25 bucks a pop.

This is not a must have chip for everyone, and it isn't a complete tool like the bus pirate or bus blaster, but if you wanted to work with this chip, dont soolder SMd, and want something open source, then we got the breakout :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
The driver source for the USB LCD Backpack can be modified to work with the FT2232H.  We can add to the driver as necessary.  I have some FT2232H's but no boards for them, wink, wink.
"Too many projects, so little time"

Reply #4
Do you want a breakout and a bu s blaster v2?

Reply #5
60MHz LA .. 80MHz is beyond 2232H (I think it is also beyond usb2) .. maybe if some fpga to do compression and then ftdi to only transfer data at 60MHz .. but only 2232H - 60MHz 8bit (there's also way to do 30MHz 16bits but I have not tried) .. I'm pretty busy with reprap attm so I don't have time to put into that 2232H LA attm but I think that code is super simple. Have not followed up on the sump client, do we have support for "real time" acquisition and "client side triggers" ?

as for the break board ... I will definitely order few (waiting for the last ordered seeed packet to arrive first), and I like that you decided to go with single row on the edges, much easier to use then double row mini break out board from ftdi uses, but from the pic the board looks unnecessary wide? making it narrower might reduce cost and make it easier to use (fit on the solderless proto easily)

Reply #6
[quote author="ian"]
This is not a must have chip for everyone, and it isn't a complete tool like the bus pirate or bus blaster, but if you wanted to work with this chip, dont soolder SMd, and want something open source, then we got the breakout :)
[/quote]
Ian thanks for the detailed response, maybe you can add some of those details to the documentation.

I still think a JTAG header (even if its the ARM only one) would make this a much easier buy or maybe even a wing style connector with a few different JTAG connectors.

Somewhat related what's the Other OS situation with the MPSSE stuff?  I know they offer D2XX drivers for Mac/Linux but they don't seem to offer the various protocol specific DLLs for anything other then Win.

Reply #7
Good suggestion, I added the text to the wiki with some slight edits.

There is a complete GPL driver chain in libUSB and libFTDI, these are actually required by OpenOCD, urJTAG can use either driver.

We do have a dedicated JTAG programmer on the way with a fully buffered IO interface. It has a 20pin JTAG connector we found to be the 'most common'. It should be listed at Seeed any day. I have just finished with v2, which has a CPLD and is mega flexible:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... 4#msg15064
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Cla ... Blaster_v2

I couldn't have done the Bus Blaster v1 without doing this breakout first for experimentation, so I figured it might be helpful to other people too :)

Reply #8
paul, blaster v1 is ftdi + jtag .. as for the drivers, have not tried osx but all ftdi development I do is on linux (64bit linux fedora) and it works 1/1 .. the 60MHz LA is using D2XX drivers on linux .. you have source there so you can compile yourself

Reply #9
Yeah I think the Bus Blaster is more of what I'd want to use this chip for so seems like a perfect product there.