Skip to main content
Topic: What breakout do you need/want? (Read 105847 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #75
By looking closely at the picture the board is cut off at approx 33%. Prolly because of production tolerances.

Re: Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #76
This is an old thread but i think it would be useful to suggest that breakouts for 2-3 common FPC/FCC connectors would be great. As far as i have seen, 10 pin is common and would be great to have since most LCDs and this: www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sharp-Micr ... kDyw%3D%3D . Other than a 10 pin connector, i can't think of other common pinouts but different sizes of 10 may be more useful.

Reply #77
If I had a USB to Serial breakout, I would want it with either screwterminal strips, binding posts, or header pins (or all of the above, wired in paralell). These connectors would already be attached  and (unlike most other breakout boards of this type) would therefore require NO SOLDERING on the part of the end user.

Furthermore, there should be a total of 10 such connectors:
Shield ground
Signal ground
Carrier detect
Transmit
Receive
DTR
DSR
RTS
CTS
Ring indicator

(most manufacturers break out only the 4 or 5 most commonly used of these pins, and the rest are inaccessable to the end user)

Also, ALL settings commonly found in hyperterminal software should be available:
1, 1.5, or 2 stopbits
5, 7, or 8 databits
no, odd, even, mark, or space parity
no, hardware, or software handshaking
Baudrate selectable between: 110, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400, 460800, 921600

(most manufacturers use chips that support a few of these features being settable, in software like hyper terminal, but I want your design to have ALL of these parameters to be user-settable).

Reply #78
iirc FOCA v2.1 from IteadStudio breaks out all pins from ftdi chip. As for the settings in hyperterminal, it has little to do with chip. baudrates below 600bps are unsuported since 286 pc's with dual serial port driver in one chip (can't remember the marking), all other bps you can select on ftdi chip if your driver supports it, I can select 600-921600 on any ftdi chip on linux system, same with databit and parity and handshake ..

anyhow, ftdi RL chip is a standard soic, you take any soic to pdip adapter and you have breakboard for ftdi, just add on usb connector :)

Reply #79
Almost forgot, and there's FT2232H breakout board from dangerousprototypes it is dual channel usb2.0 chip and ALL pins are broken out, and it available at Seeed Studio for $27 and imo that's a bargain (taking into account that I purchased the similar break out board from FTDI directly for $69.95, and cheapest other source of these chips is mouser for $35+shipping)

Reply #80
[quote author="arhi"]iirc FOCA v2.1 from IteadStudio breaks out all pins from ftdi chip. As for the settings in hyperterminal, it has little to do with chip. baudrates below 600bps are unsuported since 286 pc's with dual serial port driver in one chip (can't remember the marking), all other bps you can select on ftdi chip if your driver supports it, I can select 600-921600 on any ftdi chip on linux system, same with databit and parity and handshake ..

anyhow, ftdi RL chip is a standard soic, you take any soic to pdip adapter and you have breakboard for ftdi, just add on usb connector :)[/quote]
That sucks. Isn't it possible to for the factory here at DP to start churning out breakout boards that meet the specs I gave in my above post? I mean you don't need to depend on an existing ftdi chip, why not just make your own custom "all features that ever were available on any serial port in the history of the 9-pin serial port on computers, are now available on this USB to serial converter" type of USB to serial converter chip. You have a silicon chip factory on the premeces of your company right? You can program the silicon shaping robots at the factory to build any type of chip you need right?

Cause you see I need to be able to access the FULL possible range of speeds that have ever existed on a serial port, down to and including 110baud. And I need all of the other features too. You see I can't have one USB converter that has one sub set of the serial featrures, and anothe USB converter that has another subset of the serial features. I need one USB to serial converter that is full-spec, that is that it supports EVERYTHING that a 9-pin serial port has ever been capable of handling in any comptuter. Newer serial ports dont' do low speed, older ports don't support the higher speeds. But I need a USB to Serial converter that supports the FULL range of speeds that have ever been supported on any serial port, and I need it to be a single device, so I don't have to switch between converters when switching between speeds. And it also must support ALL 9 PINS, not just 1 RX line, 1 TX line, and not even 1TX line 1 RX line 1 other output 1 other input. I need one that supports ALL 9 pins.

Reply #81
[quote author="BenHutchinson"]Isn't it possible to for the factory here at DP to start churning out breakout boards that meet the specs I gave in my above post? I mean you don't need to depend on an existing ftdi chip, why not just make your own custom "all features that ever were available on any serial port in the history of the 9-pin serial port on computers, are now available on this USB to serial converter" type of USB to serial converter chip. [/quote]

'cause it would be expensive and one could sell 100pcs max ... so not really something interesting for mass production.
furthermore ther's http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Modules/USBRSxxx.htm that breaks out full db9 connector...

Now, even with FULL support of ALL pins you still can't use this serial port as a legacy serial port (and hack it to be programmer etc etc) cause all those apps did not use it as serial port but were talking directly to the usart chip. Since there's no usart chip here (especially not on port & interrupt those apps know how to use) it will not work

You have a silicon chip factory on the premeces of your company right? You can program the silicon shaping robots at the factory to build any type of chip you need right?

even if someone work in silicon chip factory what would one do with hundreds of thousands of usb2serial chips that are too expensive?!

Cause you see I need to be able to access the FULL possible range of speeds that have ever existed on a serial port, down to and including 110baud.

That is operating system/drivers problem. You can't do it on windows for e.g.
What you need is a separate device running serial ports, talking to your "whatever you talk with" and then sending data to PC via usb.

Reply #82
I'd like a Xilinx Zynq FPGA with 1gb of ram Breakout for $20 :D
best regards FIlip.

Reply #83
[quote author="arakis"]I'd like a Xilinx Zynq FPGA with 1gb of ram Breakout for $20 :D[/quote]
Xilinx FPGA's are too mainstream, we can churn our own FPGAs in our facilities. Better, faster and dirt cheap!

Reply #84
[quote author="tayken"][quote author="arakis"]I'd like a Xilinx Zynq FPGA with 1gb of ram Breakout for $20 :D[/quote]
Xilinx FPGA's are too mainstream, we can churn our own FPGAs in our facilities. Better, faster and dirt cheap![/quote]

You r right, forgot about that, I'll hold the silicon wafer while you burn it with a laser pointer :)
P.S. forgot about the curveture of the earth, no way you can hit it from Japan to Serbia, guess we'll just have to bounce it of one of our satellites
best regards FIlip.

Reply #85
[quote author="arakis"]I'd like a Xilinx Zynq FPGA with 1gb of ram Breakout for $20 :D[/quote]

But would it be possible with an Zynq breakout? (not for $20 of course)

Only fpga breakout I have found so far is this, but spartan 3:
sparkfun product: 8458 (Why can't I enter any url?)
The Papilio is a bit easier to start with instead of that, but an breakout with all io avilable would be interresting, but I guess, an BGA would be monstrous?

Reply #86
[quote author="neslekkim"]Only fpga breakout I have found so far is this, but spartan 3:
sparkfun product: 8458 (Why can't I enter any url?)
The Papilio is a bit easier to start with instead of that, but an breakout with all io avilable would be interresting, but I guess, an BGA would be monstrous?[/quote]
Hey neslekkim, the url problem is an anti-spam thingy. You'll be able to enter links in about 24 hrs.

BGA is really hard for companies like DP. They need multilayer boards (at least 4 layers) to be able to route the signals, cannot solder prototypes by hand, and testing needs special equipment.

If Spartan 6 is enough to satisfy your hunger, I suggest Avnet LX9 Microboard.

Reply #87
Then I probably would wait for an papilio with spartan 6, atleast an papilio have io pins, the avnet board doesn seem to have lot of io.
The sparfun breakout that I tried to link to, have more io than anything, every pin is broken out, so even that would be good..

So, I guess my quest have to end there, Papilio Plus, or Sparkfun breakout. oh, well.

Reply #88
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/OSR ... Gp2A1rk%3d

this might be a cool one in the category of sensors. 15cm proximity sensor, designed for cell phones, but might have other cool applications for jack-in-the box like toys, small robots, security alarms.....  It is really cheap, i2c interface, but in a PIA package.

Reply #89
What about a 16f/18f  pic break out board?