Skip to main content
Topic: What breakout do you need/want? (Read 105848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #60
L6470 - 8$ 1/128 spi stepper driver

I'd reeeeeally like to see a simple breakout board with it, possibly with a way to easy attach a heat sink to the chip (or with a big heat sink already mounted). With r.m.s. current 3A and Rds of 0R5 (worst case) the dissipation is 4.5W per mosfet, and as this baby does 1/128 microstepping you need to calculate all 4 being used in the same time so 18W of heat needs to be "removed" from this baby. So either some good "glue on" heat sink or screw holes on board to allow one to be attached easily.

Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #61
I would like to have a breakout for the MPU-6000, it is an integrated 3 axis digital gyro and accelerometer, wich would be usefull for UAV projects.

Reply #62
Hirose connectors (10-pin DF23C specifically, for Nokia LCDs). I found a European company that sold breakouts for these at one point, but it looks like they did a run or two of them, and then gave up. :( (I'd link to it, but I suspect the anti-spam filter would prevent me on my first post.)
-Ed
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Reply #63
Thanks for the suggestion logic,

I'm sorry about the aggressive spam filter, you should be out of its grasp already (or very shortly).

This shouldn't be a problem, and is something we could make quite quickly. How would you envision the board? Just a LCD-sized PCB with pin breakouts? Or more a complete thing like SparkFun has with a power supply for the back light too?

We actually have a Nokia LCD backpack coming out very soon, but it has a PIC to provide USB control and isn't a breakout:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Mat ... D_backpack
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #64
I'd really prefer a board with lcd + lcd connector + "whatever is needed to drive the lcd, so few capacitors, backlight transistor .." + 5v/3v3 switch (so if 5V is used then 3v3 regulator on board + some level switcher so that lcd can be used with 5V devices).... then a solution with pic and usb ...

now wrt that backpack project - why is not anything from the pic exposed to the world? at least 2 digital pins for software serial communication...

Reply #65
now wrt that backpack project - why is not anything from the pic exposed to the world? at least 2 digital pins for software serial communication...

We are getting much better about the breakout on new projects, but this is actually quite old and has been sitting waiting for a compatiable LCD supply for a long time (found one a few weeks ago). Any V2 will have all the pins on a breakout.

You can use PPS on this PIC to assign a serial UART to the ICSP header pins, so all is not totally lost :)

Reply #66
[quote author="ian"]We are getting much better about the breakout on new projects, but this is actually quite old and has been sitting waiting for a compatiable LCD supply for a long time (found one a few weeks ago). Any V2 will have all the pins on a breakout.[/quote]
Ah, this explains a lot.  I was going to ask why it still uses a giant can crystal instead of standardizing on a smaller-profile SMD ;-)

Reply #67
[quote author="rsdio"][quote author="ian"]We are getting much better about the breakout on new projects, but this is actually quite old and has been sitting waiting for a compatiable LCD supply for a long time (found one a few weeks ago). Any V2 will have all the pins on a breakout.[/quote]
Ah, this explains a lot. I was going to ask why it still uses a giant can crystal instead of standardizing on a smaller-profile SMD ;-)[/quote]

The bigger crystal are much cheaper then the smaller one, so if we got room we try to use those.

Reply #68
In my very limited experience the HC-49U is usually 3x cheaper than the cheapest "bar" type SMD crystals ($1.10-$1.40 : $0.30-$0.50). It's pretty frustrating, and we try to use the cheaper one when possible. Would of course prefer a cheaper, smaller version :)

Reply #69
[quote author="ian"]I'm sorry about the aggressive spam filter, you should be out of its grasp already (or very shortly).[/quote]
No problem, it's perfectly understandable (I run a public wiki on an automotive topic, and dealing with spam is a mess). It looks like it's going to let me post links below, so I think I'm out of the woods. :)

[quote author="ian"]This shouldn't be a problem, and is something we could make quite quickly. How would you envision the board? Just a LCD-sized PCB with pin breakouts? Or more a complete thing like SparkFun has with a power supply for the back light too?[/quote]
I'd honestly be ecstatic with something as simple as this, perhaps with a PCB sized to carry the screen (or not, I just don't want to solder those connectors *grin*):

http://http://elektronicaonderdelen.eu/productAfbeeldingen/1488.jpg
http://http://elektronicaonderdelen.eu/productAfbeeldingen/1487.jpg

(That's what I was going to link to originally.) The Sparkfun board is quite a bit more than what I was looking for; I don't need buttons or status LEDs, and the footprint is much larger than the space I'd like to fit it in.

(What I'd really love is a color OLED display in roughly the same footprint, but Sparkfun seems to think people want to build a mobile phone out of it, given the size of their carrier board...).

I wouldn't complain about a backlight driver, 3v3 regulation, and hey, why not even 5V logic shifting on-board, as long as it all tucks behind the screen. But, that's all a luxury for me. :)

[quote author="ian"]We actually have a Nokia LCD backpack coming out very soon, but it has a PIC to provide USB control and isn't a breakout:[/quote]
Yep, this is much more than what I was looking for, but the footprint is very close to what I had in mind.
-Ed
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Reply #70
[quote author="Thomas"]I would like to have a breakout for the MPU-6000, it is an integrated 3 axis digital gyro and accelerometer, which would be usefull for UAV projects.[/quote]

The great problem is getting working software to make that chips worth their value.
I have the source code for the XMega eval board of the MPU3000 and I cant understand, it was sourced by an insider at Invensense and I was hopping that I could port it to Arduino/atmega328p as those are a common micro-controller in the simpler tri and quad copters, the problem is that the code is super complex, and the compiled output as an whopping 64Kbytes!!!
The initialization and configuration of the MPU3000 alone and the special data that is sent to it so it can talk to external accelerometers is in a source file with more than 10K of code with very little comments.

If some one could get open-source drivers it would be a great chip as they are pretty cheap but its almost impossible do to anything with them.

Reply #71
[quote author="ian"]
We actually have a Nokia LCD backpack coming out very soon, but it has a PIC to provide USB control and isn't a breakout:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Mat ... D_backpack[/quote]

Oooh, I like this. I've been thinking about screen-ifying some random objects around my desk, kinda like Sparkfun's old Sinister7 project (http://http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/39), this would make it quick and easy.

One request though: Could you please route the USB pinouts to an unused header footprint in addition to the built-in connector? That would make it easier to solder on a USB cable pigtail to route it out the back of said random object. (Plugging a normal cable in would be too tight, it would stick out too far.)

Reply #72
There was a request about level converter boards, this one is a really good converter board, also I like the footprint, you can use it on SMD projects or solder header pins and use it as a DIP package.

Reply #73
[quote author="tayken"]There was a request about level converter boards, this one is a really good converter board, also I like the footprint, you can use it on SMD projects or solder header pins and use it as a DIP package.[/quote]

Cool design! The chip is great but if you use pullups it has some issue detecting the direction of the signals.

BTW does someone know how to design a board like this on eagle? or is it just  a regular pin cut in half with the board dimension? and how do you cope with  tolerances during the fab fase?

Reply #74
Yeah, pull-ups create problems so I2C is not possible IMO. But the problem is related to auto-direction sensing, there should be some other ICs out there with manual direction control, which can be used with pull-up resistors and I2C.

One other reason was to show the design of the board for future breakout board designs. What I would do to create them would be to run the edge of the board through the middle of the header.This pdf is the board layout for manufacturing.