Skip to main content
Topic: What breakout do you need/want? (Read 105638 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #30
[quote author="voidptr"]
It should be better than this :oP
[/quote]

Don't think that is too hard ;)

Reply #32
[quote author="arhi"]
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10252

great bboard, expensive but ..
[/quote]

Oww yeah, IMU 3000 is a nice chip.

Reply #33
note that it connects to external accelerometer so you get 6DF from single itnerface ..

what i really don't like is the price :(

Reply #34
i am interested in learning fpga or cpld. it would be nice to have a simple board that could be used on a breadboard and programed with the bus-blaster.

Reply #35
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]
i am interested in learning fpga or cpld. it would be nice to have a simple board that could be used on a breadboard and programed with the bus-blaster.
[/quote]

something like:
http://www.dlpdesign.com/fpga/fpga.shtml
http://www.dlpdesign.com/fpga/hsfpga.shtml (faster and cheaper because no eeprom needed with spartan 3A)

only 3+ times cheaper ?

Reply #36
Hmm, I think the OLS is better than the DLP Design.  The OLS has just as many I/O pins if you solder headers in every position on the PCB.  Also, I prefer having a PIC for USB on the OLS, because it is more programmable than the FT2232H on the DLP Design.  Even if you want to learn FPGA programming, there still might be tasks that you want to accomplish on a more general purpose CPU, and the PIC makes this easy to manage.  Fortunately, the OLS can make the PIC act in a transparent manner like the FT2232H, or you can write your own firmware for custom applications.

The OLS is not marketed as an FPGA learning tool, but I think that it happens to be a great platform for that - especially given the price.  Now, if I only had time to learn more about FPGA...!

Reply #37
yes actually ols is great fpga learning tool ... I kinda like spartan 3A as it don't require eprom but that's not a big deal as you get eprom with ols anyhow :)

Reply #38
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]
[/quote]

I also like to do something with CPLD/FPGA. I don't have experience with both, but I guess a CPLD is better suited for starters. My understanding is they can do the same things only the underlying technology and number of gates differ.

A CPLD has less pins, self contained (no eeprom needed) and some are 5v tolerant (is this still necessary??).

Feel free to correct :)

Reply #39
There is the spartan 3N series which does not need an external prom.  They are more expensive and probably hard to justify the extra cost.   I suspect they are more for secure designs so you cannot intercept the boot stream.
"Too many projects, so little time"

Reply #40
leaflabs.com is developing an STM32 (Cortex M3) board paired with an Spartan 3E. The design files are Open Source (https://github.com/leaflabs/oak). The hardware should be released soon.

Re: Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #42
Why not 100 pins?

Soon :) We started with these, and a new update will be available eventually.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #43
My wish list for breakout boards--
1.A bidirectional logic level converter (for 3.3v <-> 5V logic translation).
2.AD9288 breakout board for use with Open Bench Logic sniffer.
3.Breakout for ARM cortex-M3 chips like LPC1114 and LPC1343.
4.CC2500 like -  RF transceiver breakout board

Re: Re: What breakout do you need/want?

Reply #44
3.Breakout for ARM cortex-M3 chips like LPC1114 and LPC1343.

We've got a LPC1343 DIP breakout, but it seemed like there were a lot of these already. What did you have in mind? Maybe we can make something unique that stands out.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.