Skip to main content
Topic: Digital radio boards (Read 2234 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital radio boards

These boards are not as affordable as Dangerous Prototypes' products, but they might be interesting.

Software Defined Radio
The Elektor DSP radio

I couldn't quite figure out how to download the PDF article or PCB files - maybe you need a paid subscription.

Re: Digital radio boards

Reply #1
[quote author="rsdio"]
I couldn't quite figure out how to download the PDF article or PCB files - maybe you need a paid subscription.[/quote]

Most likely.

From what I remember, I was not able to download project information from elektor in the past since I was not a subscriber.

-Eric

Reply #2
I have those articles as I'm a subscriber to the swedish publication.
If you're really interested I could probably scan them for you personally, but not post them on this forum. A little too much for the my local copyright law.

As I remember the older of them (2007) was the more interesting, with detailed description of function and theory behind. The newer was just an update and a page filler.

Or you could go to the hw manufacturer for the GNU Radio Project www.ettus.com for a very feature complete SDR, also open source.

Reply #3
There are several interesting things happening in the world of digital radio these days.  Seeing this port got me thinking about a dp transceiver board and what it would contain.  I want one...  I have done some work with some existing kits, but this could be a lot of fun.  A dds chip a mixer, a2d wide band into a board that implements a sound card interface?  A optional set of band filters for the frontend?  Simple transmitter for those licensed by their goverments.   The GNUradio is interesting but kinda of a cadillac.  The softrock kits are another option, but I think of a transceiver wing for a ols or a butterfly and that gets really interesting fast.  Is that what you are thinking about?

Reply #4
I don't have any specific ideas.  However, I do know that your A/D only needs to be fast enough to contain the bandwidth of what you're sampling, even if the actual frequencies are much higher.  This is called undersampling.  Thus, the only huge challenge is the bandpass filter ahead of the A/D.  I don't think you need a "set" of band filters, at least not if you have one bandpass filter that can be swept across the entire range that users might be interested in.  The center frequency and bandwidth would have to vary over a wide range, and I'm not really sure how to do that at the moment.  Also, it would be ideal if the bandpass center and width could be digitally controlled, so that users are not forced to turn physical dials.