Skip to main content
Topic: Up to 60MHz 8bit logic analyzer (Read 18956 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Up to 60MHz 8bit logic analyzer

Reply #15
hi, here is my coresponpance with the FTDI Field Applications Engineer  from october 2009

Q:
Is it posible to accelerate the transfer speed to achive speeds closer to USB High Speed limit or 480Mbits/s

A:
If you use synchronous 8 bit FIFO mode, our current drivers will give up to 25 Mbytes/sec (200 MBits/sec).  A upcoming driver release will support up to 40 Mbytes/sec (320 MBits/sec).

Only one channel of the FT2232H can be used for this.  Due to conversion overhead, the device cannot work at  480 MBits/second.

sorry for bumping a 5 month old post. has anyone tested the maximum reliable data streem speed of the sych 8bit FIFO,  a posible test equipment could be a simple 8 bit counter @ 60MHZ
best regards FIlip.

Re: Re: Up to 60MHz 8bit logic analyzer

Reply #16
Thanks for the update and additional investigation. Interesting info.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #17
60 MHz times 8 Bit. That's a data rate of exactly 480 Mbit/sec. That's the theoretical limit of USB 2.0.
I dont understand how some people report that they haven't lost a single byte while reading from the FTDI chip.

However, have you heard of the FT600Q and the FT601Q? They both support 100MHz and 66MHz and the FT600 drives a 16bit wide FIFO while the latter drives a 32 bit wide FIFO. Both chips have USB 3.0 so the maximum data rate of 200MB/sec and 400MByte/sec respectively should not be a problem.

How about a 32 bit 100MHz logic analyzer?

However an FT600/FT601 eval boards currently costs around 50€/55€. That's rather expensive. The chip itself is actually quite cheap (less than 10€).

Reply #18
Totally doable. I'm doing 108mhz at 4 bits for $3 though :) 64mbit. However a FPGA is slightly involved :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.