Skip to main content
Topic: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases (Read 199546 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases

Reply #30
Hmm, sorry 'bout that. Seems that I've made a small mistake in that particular testcase, it should fail due to a non-existing port being requested under Linux, while you're probably running it with the OLS connected (therefore having a /dev/ttyACM0 device).

Fixed the test in GitHub. Thanks for mentioning!
when good software is not an alternative...

Reply #31
it would be very nice to have a switch to disable the unit tests.
they dont obey the -o (offline) switch of maven (which sucks big hairy donkey balls, if you want to develop while being online via mobile service), only work with the ols attached (intentionally?) and are slow++.

Reply #32
you can easily switch off tests: just add [tt:]-DskipTests=true[/tt:] to your mvn command.

(and yes, the tests are assuming there's an OLS plugged in. I want to keep an eye on regression with the serial communication as it b0rks quite a lot on all platforms. For now, there totally disabled because of other problems with the used test-framework (Pax-Exam)).

Reply #33
thank you.
i did not mean to generally criticize your use of unit tests at all. it does of course make sense to look for regressions in the communication path.
im not sure, if i will have enough time and motivation, but if so, how would you prefer patches? are github merge requests ok?

Reply #34
@stefant: plain patches or GitHub merge requests are also fine (never used them though). I'm very versatile in that aspect ;)

Reply #35
Hi Jawi, I've seen the Roadmap. Let me ask you following:
1. are there any timeframes for the releases set?
2. would it be possible to speed up the functionality planned (e.g. to have r.1.0+ functionality available in r.0.9.4).
As there are more resources available now, would it be still such a challenge?
M.

Reply #36
@miro:

1. no, no timeline. I'm doing this in my (sparse) free time, so I cannot say anything about when what release will be made. I try to make a release once every 1-2 months, but this is merely based on historical evidence ;)
2. what do you want to see implemented? If demands are high, priorities can be shifted...

Reply #37
Hi there.

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to be asking questions, but here goes.  Would someone be kind enough to move this post to its proper place if this is not it?

Anyway, here goes.

I'm trying to run release 0.9.3.1 on my Win7 64-bit system.  The files are stored in D:OLS.  I get errors when I run the 'run.bat' batch file as follows:

ERROR: Unable to create cache directory: .felix-cache
ERROR: Error creating bundle cache. (java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to creat
e cache directory.)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create cache directory.
        at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:
101)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.init(Felix.java:588)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.<init>(Runner.java:89)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.main(Runner.java:119)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: nl/lxtreme/ols/util/H
ostUtils
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.<init>(Runner.java:98)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.main(Runner.java:119)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: nl.lxtreme.ols.util.HostUtils
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 2 more

<end of copy>
I've checked security permissions and modified those to allow full access.  No help.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Many thanks!

dwayne

Reply #38
Well, I think that I answered my own question: I right-clicked on the batch file and selected 'Run as Administrator'.  That made everything work.

Now another question: why do I have to do that?  What can I change so that is not necessary?

Many thanks!

dwayne

Reply #39
Me again.

Just noticed something odd with the sample rate drop-down menu: 2KHz and 5KHz are missing.  Is that by design or simply an oversight?

Thanks!

dwayne

Reply #40
Hi Dwayne,

I'm not sure about the administrator issues, but I believe the sample rates are divided that way intentionally. There is a device mode that allows arbitrary frequency dividers to be set though in Device->generic IO.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #41
I'm not sure about the administrator issues, but I believe the sample rates are divided that way intentionally. There is a device mode that allows arbitrary frequency dividers to be set though in Device->generic IO.

Thanks, Ian.

I did solve the administrative issue: I created a shortcut to the batch file, then set the properties of the shortcut to run as administrator.  It now starts properly when I click the shortcut.

Regarding the sample frequencies: the sample rates start at 10Hz and go up to 200 MHz in a standard 1-2-5 sequence except for 2KHz and 5KHz.  I was assuming that is an oversight or mistake and am simply asking if that is indeed the case.

I noticed it because I was testing the OLS out at home where I don't have much in the way of test gear.  So: I connected channels 1 & 2 to the "Update" switch on the OLS board and chose a low sample rate so that I could see button presses.  1KHz is a little slow and 10KHz is a little fast (6K samples).  I used two channels simply because I didn't know which side of the switch was ground.

I'm also happy to report that RLE seems to be working - I can capture much more than 6 seconds worth of time when the OLS is set to 6K samples @ 1KHz sample rate.  I'll actually have to use some proper test signals to verify correct operation, though.

I needed to have this working for Monday morning - I've got to capture a SPI data stream to see how much data is present.  Its a long story, but the SPI buss controls a bunch of digital pots (each with its own select line) as well as some 74hc595 shift registers (with their own latch line).  I was going to use the original OLS firmware and software but figured that I'd give the new stuff a workout.

Its easy for me to do this - I purchased two OLS boards.  One has the latest firmware and bitstreams as of last fall, the other now has the Demon firmware as of yesterday. 

Thanks again for making such great tools available at prices I can actually afford!

dwayne

Reply #42
@dwayne: fwiw: the upcoming 0.9.4 release will support the 2 & 5 kHz sample rates. In fact, it can be configured which sample rates you want...

Reply #43
@jawi: it would be great to have _ANY_sampling_rates_ option in 0.9.4! Miro

Reply #44
[quote author="miro"]it would be great to have _ANY_sampling_rates_ option[/quote]
Any sampling rate supported by the fpga divisor at least...  Still going to be (100Mhz / divisor-count).  :-)
-- IED
-- debugging hardware at 2am is a bad idea...