Skip to main content
Topic: Linux Development (Read 10787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Linux Development

Reply #15
Done. But I don't know whether C18 is available for Mac OS X, anybody have an idea?

Reply #17
Ive had problems trying to get mplabX to work on ubuntu 10.10 x64, 8.whatever will work under wine

Reply #18
works perfectly on both fedora13 and fedora14 but you need to have 32bit libraries installed to have it running (as it is essentially 32bit all) ... do you have problem running the installer or after you install it it does not work?

Reply #19
havent bothered to take it much further than installation, have it running in windows

Reply #20
works really well for Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit)

Reply #22
I have installed MPLABX beta 4 on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 and compiled one of the example programs. However I have't been able to get MPLABX to recognise my PicKit 3 so I can't use that to download code. There is a thread in the Microchip MPLABX forum about this issue.

I've also been unable to get ds30 loader working on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 and I have reported that in the ds30 forum. The command line to fire up the non-GUI loader is pretty non-intuitive, but someone in the ds30 forum managed to get further than I did. Here's what happened:

I tried to invoke ds30LoaderConsole on a fairly stock Ubuntu 10.10 server system and it complained:
Code: [Select]
$ mono ds30LoaderConsole.exe --port=/dev/web_platform --baudrate=115200 --file=${FILE} --device=dsPIC33FJ128GP204 --write-program

** (ds30LoaderConsole.exe:18243): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/ozybushwalker/Downloads/ds30 Loader/bin/GHelper.dll could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   System.Windows.Forms    (assemblyref_index=1)
     Version:    2.0.0.0
     Public Key: b77a5c561934e089
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/ozybushwalker/Downloads/ds30 Loader/bin/).

** (ds30LoaderConsole.exe:18243): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingFieldException: Field 'GHelper.clsDebugTextbox.bConsole' not found.
After installing package libmono-winforms2.0-cil things moved along a bit further:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo bash
[sudo] password for ozybushwalker:
root@vbox:~/Downloads/ds30 Loader/bin# mono ds30LoaderConsole.exe -l --port=/dev/ttyUSB0 --baudrate=115200 --file=~/test.hex --device=dsPIC33FJ128GP204 --write-program

Loading port plugin ds30LoaderPortIxxat.dll: no supported on this OS
Loading port plugin ds30LoaderPortKvaser.dll: no supported on this OS
Loading port plugin ds30LoaderPortPCAN.dll: no supported on this OS
Loading port plugin ds30LoaderPortSerial.dll: found 5 ports
Loading port plugin ds30LoaderPortVector.dll: no supported on this OS
Loading external device database...408 devices foundNon-existing file specified.
$

~/test.hex exists, root has access to /dev/ttyUSB0.

I was also unable to get ds30 Loader GUI.exe to download the hex file. It didn't report any non-existent files but did report a timeout.

Anyone have a suggestion for getting either ds30Loader working or a suggestion for an alternative loader?

Reply #23
There is a Linux loader for Bus Pirate, it might work. They use the same bootloader.

Reply #24
[quote author="tayken"]
There is a Linux loader for Bus Pirate, it might work. They use the same bootloader.
[/quote]
I presume you mean pirate-loader which requires bootloader 4+ in the PIC. I'm pretty sure my web platform predates bootloader 4+.

Update to the ds30Loader problem I reported earlier. ds30Loader doesn't understand "~" in file specifications. When I specified the full file path it reported sensible things about the file but timed out waiting for response from the bootloader.

Reply #25
pirate loader is written specifically for the PIC 24FJ64GA002 on the Bus Pirate, I don't think it will work with the web platform. The device signature will be different and it (should) will throw an error.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.