Skip to main content
Topic: Programming ITE 8587 - Need help writing EC FW (Laptop) (Read 357 times) previous topic - next topic

Programming ITE 8587 - Need help writing EC FW (Laptop)

Hello.

I’m new to these forums and I’m not sure where I’m supposed to post. Perhaps somebody could move this to the correct section or direct me to post there? Or maybe this is fine as it is.

My laptop is the XMG A517 (Clevo N850HP6)
Official Download Portal | User Manual | Service Manual

I need to write to the EC chip on my motherboard, but I’m not sure how. The chip specifically is the KBC-ITE IT8587. It’s a 128 pin LQFP chip. Apparently programming it is done through UART protocols (See pages 22 and 97 of the Service Manual for more info).

I’m completely out of my depth here. This is all new to me. I’ve recently been experimenting with a CH341A SPI USB programmer and flashrom, but unfortunately I’ve recently discovered the EC FW chip isn’t SOP8. I have however been able to interface with the four SOP8 chips on my motherboard - including the main BIOS chip (MX25L6473F) and the vBIOS chip (MXIC 25U4033E).

I found this forum through this guide by @mikeb and it appears to be very relevant, however, it’s for a different chip. There’s also this forum post and this guide that’s got an entirely different method. Apparently I can utilise the keyboard connector?

There’s the RT809F programmer, but if were to purchase all the necessary equipment, it will end up costing a fair bit for something that might not even fix my issue. As mentioned, I already have the CH341A SPI Programmer (along with the SOIC8 clip and 1.8v adapter). Hopefully I can utilise this along with other things I need to buy?

If I can just follow Mike’s guide, what do I need to do differently to get it working with the IT8587?

I’m really hoping someone on this forum can help me. I’m determined to get this laptop up and running so I can use it again, even if it requires a lot of time and effort. I’ve already learnt a few things along the way!