Skip to main content
Topic: IRToy not receiving on linux (Read 95 times) previous topic - next topic

IRToy not receiving on linux

I purchased an IRToy v2 from SeeedStudio, and haven't been able to receive signals yet.

I am connecting the IRToy to an Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS machine with lirc 0.10.0.

I first tried following USB IR Toy: Configure LIRC. irrecord only got to Hold down an arbitrary button with the incantation sudo irrecord -H irman  -d /dev/ttyACM1 remote.conf. It always gave Timeout (10 sec), giving  up..

I searched for relevant info. I found this forum and mythtv's IRToy page. Both pushed me to upgrade the firmware. I had trouble telling when the device was in firmware upgrade mode. I used screen to send "$" to the device. Usually, the orange LED would come on. Sometimes, the orange LED would turn on just from physically moving the device. I tried with fw_update from jesshaas.com and dpavlin/fw_update.git. With sudo ./fw_update -e -w -v -m all -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD08 -ix ../USBIRToyv24.hex I got error U2IO flash erasing: FAILED. Segmentation fault. That was a couple days ago.

Today, I tried things again. irrecord couldn't see any events on the first run. If I run irrecord a second time, I get "Could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check permissions)". Only unplugging and replugging allowed irrecord to get to "Hold down an arbitrary button" again. I saw that the device should respond to "t" and "v" commands. "v" outputs "V212". "t" freezes the device (and screen) to the point that only unplugging and replugging works.

I gave the firmware command again "$". screen immediately disconnected. Now the device is behaving differently. The orange LED is always on. The device does not show up on /dev/ttyACM1 anymore. The dmesg output is different (see below). The fw_update command now shows "U2IO flash erasing: FAILED. Device is not found. Operation aborted."

How can I receive IR remote signals with my IR Toy on my ubuntu computer?

dmesg before today:
Code: [Select]
usb 3-4: new full-speed USB device number 28 using xhci_hcd
usb 3-4: New USB device found, idVendor=04d8, idProduct=fd08
usb 3-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 3-4: Product: USBIRtoy (CDC-232)
usb 3-4: Manufacturer: DangerousPrototypes.com
cdc_acm 3-4:1.0: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

dmesg after "$" command today:
Code: [Select]
usb 3-4: new full-speed USB device number 30 using xhci_hcd
usb 3-4: string descriptor 0 read error: -71
usb 3-4: New USB device found, idVendor=04d8, idProduct=fd0b
usb 3-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
hid-generic 0003:04D8:FD0B.0009: hidraw0: USB HID v1.01 Device [HID 04d8:fd0b] on usb-0000:00:14.0-4/input0

I have tried with remotes for a Roomba, Vizio sound bar, and Benq projector. All with freshly charged batteries.

Re: IRToy not receiving on linux

Reply #1
I purchased an IRToy v2 from SeeedStudio,
Do they ship?

I am connecting the IRToy to an Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS machine with lirc 0.10.0.
But it appears you did not read the documentation, namely the irtoy driver. Then you would not have...
I first tried following USB IR Toy: Configure LIRC. irrecord only got to Hold down an arbitrary button with the incantation sudo irrecord -H irman  -d /dev/ttyACM1 remote.conf. It always gave Timeout (10 sec), giving  up..
Use the irtoy driver, not irman! As is described in ...

mythtv's IRToy page. Both pushed me to upgrade the firmware. I had trouble telling when the device was in firmware upgrade mode. I used screen to send "$" to the device. Usually, the orange LED would come on. Sometimes, the orange LED would turn on just from physically moving the device. I tried with fw_update from jesshaas.com and dpavlin/fw_update.git. With sudo ./fw_update -e -w -v -m all -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD08 -ix ../USBIRToyv24.hex I got error U2IO flash erasing: FAILED. Segmentation fault. That was a couple days ago.
The command I have been using says "flash" instead of "all".

Today, I tried things again. irrecord couldn't see any events on the first run. If I run irrecord a second time, I get "Could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check permissions)". Only unplugging and replugging allowed irrecord to get to "Hold down an arbitrary button" again....
I recommend using IrScrutinizer instead of irrecord. Supports IrToy directly, and is much easier to get to work.