Skip to main content
Topic: Is it possible to use dual/quad spi to read flash? (Read 155 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to use dual/quad spi to read flash?

Hey guys,

I am wondering about something. I bought a buspirate v4 because I would like to read the content of a NAND Flash that I have.
My idea is to connect the BP to my NAND Flash and then I would like to use flashrom to read out the Flash and store the content in a .bin file.
I found a couple of tutorials and explanations about how to connect the pins and how it works.
After a quick look at the datasheet from the NAND Flash I could verify what I read about the connection. It should looks like this:

BP      |  NAND Flash
------------------------
CS      | CS#
MISO | SO
3v3    | WP#
GND  | VSS
3v3    | VCC
3v3    | HOLD#
CLK    | SCLK
MOSI | SI

After taking an other look at the datasheet I found out that the NAND Flash supports dual and quad spi and the WP#, SO, SI and the HOLD# Pin have a second function.
WP# can also be used as SIO2, HOLD# can also be used as SIO3.
SI can also be used as SIO0 and SO can also be used as SIO1.

What I am wondering about is, can I connect the pins differently so that I can use dual or quad spi instead of standard spi to read out the flash?
Does flashrom and the BP even support dual and quad spi?

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to use dual/quad spi to read flash?

Reply #1
Hi Ramazuri,

I'm very familiar with the dual/quad mode in various flash and sram chips, working with some right now. It would be totally possible to access the chip in dual/quad mode from the v4 because it has extra IO pins. However, there is no firmware support that I know of. Also, the SPI stuff is all done in hardware, but dual/quad would need to be bitbanged and would likely be slower than just using hardware SPI.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Re: Is it possible to use dual/quad spi to read flash?

Reply #2
Thank you for your answer :)