Skip to main content
Topic: Can't get terminal to recognize Bus Pirate (Read 542 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't get terminal to recognize Bus Pirate

Hello. I have a BP version 3.6a and I can't seem to get ANY terminal to recognize it. I'm running Windows 7 and I got my computer to recognize it, but no matter which terminal I try, no luck. I have the power indicator lit. and the mode indicator lit. The USB indicator will light up upon start up, but then goes out when the O/S comes to life, while leaving the mode indicator lit. I've tried the latest drivers from the FTDI website. I read one forum where an individual rolled back his drivers. So I downloaded older drivers back to 2.08.28. aaaaaaand nothing. Initially my computer assigned the BP to COM6.Thought maybe it might be picky, so I went into the device manager and bumped the communication port over to COM2 and switched the BP into its position on COM1, no luck. I've pretty much read all I could find, and tried a few different things, but alas,....I got nothing. The only thing I DID get was a "hello world i2c sample stream" message in the OLS.(sniffer) Not sure if it was the program software or the BP. Whenever I get a port open, bring up the command line and try to run a command, or try to view the MetaData for the BP in the OLS, I get the  haha "I/O no such port " routine. In TeraTerm, real terminal, puTTY, and the like, I get nothing. So basically, Ive got the baud at 115200, parity= none, dataBits=8, flow control=none, and the headache boolean=true (1)....... help. The voices are all laughing at me!

Re: Can't get terminal to recognize Bus Pirate

Reply #1
It seems like a FT232 problem. Do you see any problems with the pins? Did you try it at any other computer?

This seems like a good tutorial: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... rivers/all

Reply #2
Thanks for your response! I thought the EXACT same thing just before I went to sleep last night. I had a similar issue arise with knock off pro mini a while back. I hooked up an external USB to UART with the FT232 IC, similar to the one in the link, but when all was said and done, I ended up having to get another pro mini, (Went with a genuine Arduino for the replacement) because the knock off turned out to be no good. At any rate, The pins all looked fine as well. Going to check it on another computer when I get home this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply #3
Ran it on my main machine(also running windows 7) and it ran perfect. Menu came up with it in high impedance mode. (Got the BP metadata, Build # Firmware version etc.) and were all good. What i think might be the issue, is the other machine I tried to run it on, I frankensteined together from various other machines quite a while back using mostly second and third hand parts. What finally dawned on me later on in the afternoon was the age of the CPU. Which was old. (How old was it?) .......It was an old AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core, and It was so old that did not support virtualization. (This option, usually disabled by default, can be switched on in the bios, from that generation on up, but the CPU I had was the generation just before it and not available in the bios or anywhere else on the machine.) So when the computer assigned a port, it initially gave it (VCP) COM6. When I switched it over to another port, for whatever reason, also gave it a VCP, I think?  Haven't dove into it yet. I'm back on my main machine. I'm thinking if I simply delete all the driver files completely, and then a clean install of only the D2xx driver files, leaving out the VCP files, then it might work as well. I'll have more time tomorrow, But for now I'm up and running, were all smiles and even though the voices are still laughing at me, I now get to laugh right back at those silly bastards. Again, thanks for your response. Much appreciated!

Reply #4
Nice! Glad the issue is resolved.