Dangerous Prototypes

In development => Project logs => Topic started by: ezflyr on October 10, 2013, 04:38:04 pm

Title: GPS to Xbee Bridge
Post by: ezflyr on October 10, 2013, 04:38:04 pm
Hi All,

Here is my latest project, a 'GPS to Xbee Bridge'. This project utilizes a USGlobalsat BR-355 GPS receiver, and an Xbee module to wirelessly transmit a GPS-derived time/date info packet to a variety of home-brew clocks around my home! These clocks consist of an odd mix of Nixie Tube clocks and GLCD clocks that I've design and built over the years! The design is based on a PIC 18F14K22 processor which receives and parses incoming NMEA data from the BR-355 GPS module, and an Xbee or Xbee Pro wireless module. These packets are transmitted every 15 seconds!

[attachment=0]

The prototype for this project looks pretty good, however, I made a pretty glaring mistake in the initial design by omitting an RS232-to-TTL converter IC between the GPS and the PIC! I hot-glued a MAX3232 IC to the back of the board deadbug style, and ran all my wires on the backside. Of course, the final PCB version will include this IC! The board itself is a 'Sick of Beige' size format, and will be mounted thus once complete!

Prototype boards were sourced through the awesome OSHPark service!!

John
Title: Re: GPS to Xbee Bridge
Post by: foxit on October 12, 2013, 09:03:50 pm
Is it possible to see circuit?
Post by: ezflyr on October 13, 2013, 12:09:38 am
Hi,

Yeah, sure! I'm traveling now, but I'll post it on Tuesday when I get back!

John
Post by: ezflyr on October 15, 2013, 06:48:15 pm
Hi,

Here is the schematic for the GPS to Xbee Bridge. I'm posting it in .pdf format because I'm not sure if an Eagle.sch file is convenient for you or not? If you'd like the Eagle file as well, I can post that too!

John