Dangerous Prototypes

General Category => General discussion => Topic started by: Sjaak on March 16, 2012, 12:07:25 pm

Title: Big Box of Parts
Post by: Sjaak on March 16, 2012, 12:07:25 pm
I went to see Ian yesterday and I received the Big Box of Parts from him. He did start a topic about this some time ago here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3177 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3177)

I took a quick look into it and some of the highlights in the box:
- Some signed by Ian prototypes (some pic programmers, cpld board featured on Hack a Day, first buspirate (?))
- Some smd resistors, capacitors
- Lots of LEDs (PTH)
- Lots of PTH resistor
- Some freebies from suppliers

Rules:
- Take the parts out you can really can use.
- Replace them with parts you can't use (please add an equal amount of stuff)
- Send the box to the next person within a week.
- post a picture of what you got out of it and a small description what you are planning to do with
- No adres information in this topic Please use the PM system for this

So the box is now located in the Netherlands on my desk. I need to look closely what I want from it and put back into the box, but i plan to send it out after the weekend.

Who wants to be part of this chain? Please apply into this topic by posting your country. In order to minimize the shippping costs we gonna start within the netherlands, move to an other country within the eu and then move to the next continent.
Title: Re: Big Box of Parts
Post by: Sjaak on March 16, 2012, 12:08:04 pm
People that, I think, want to be part of this 'chain' :

USA
Skybeaver, USA, New hampshire
jdownj, USA FL
BrentBXR, USA, Ohio
schazamp, USA, St louis, mo

EU
[s:]riktw, NL[/s:] box arrived on May 9
[s:]jawi, NL[/s:] box arrived on May xxth
[s:]arakis, Serbia[/s:]
[s:]arhi, Serbia[/s:]
[s:]erdabyz, spain[/s:]
Pisami, FI
Markus_b, switzerland
[s:]retikus, spain[/s:]

Asia
tayken, JP
torwag, JP
arup, india

Unknown
Post by: Sjaak on March 16, 2012, 12:25:40 pm
An other thought is to split the box into smaller boxes to spread it quicker around the globe.
Post by: arakis on March 16, 2012, 12:58:15 pm
Me and arhi would be very interested and have stuff to contribute, but alas, out postage system could trap the box in serbia. We could get refused by the post service to mail it out....then we'd have to pay for Fed ex, or UPS which would be like 50-60euros.....SO I guess you could skip us.
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 16, 2012, 04:30:01 pm
[quote author="Sjaak"]People that, I think, want to be part of this 'chain' :

USA
Skybeaver, USA, New hampshire
[/quote]

confirmed - ill throw in a bunch of small demo boards etc.
Post by: markus_b on March 16, 2012, 04:53:56 pm
I'm interested too, please register me !
Post by: tayken on March 16, 2012, 06:11:47 pm
Yep, confirmed.
Post by: BrentBXR on March 16, 2012, 08:10:01 pm
BrentBXR, USA, Ohio
confirmed :D
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 16, 2012, 08:18:24 pm
for customs purposes make sure to mark as "gift"
Post by: AndThen on March 16, 2012, 08:25:24 pm
And in the USA it's "digital media", just leave an eeprom in the box at all times =)
Post by: schazamp on March 17, 2012, 02:56:26 am
Woo, sign me up.
Post by: Pisami on March 17, 2012, 09:15:22 am
[quote author="Sjaak"]
Pisami, FI
[/quote]
/me likes! :)
Post by: ian on March 26, 2012, 07:55:26 pm
Go box go! :)
Post by: Sjaak on March 26, 2012, 07:57:43 pm
[quote author="ian"]Go box go! :)[/quote]

You pretty sure you don't want it back? :P
Post by: BrentBXR on March 28, 2012, 05:43:52 am
So how does this really really work? I mean even after i leaves your continent say I get it (although whos supposed to send it to me (for example)) shouldn't there be a solid route plan?

I mean I think it would be pretty simple; get the people who are involved addresses and plot them. Then everyone knows who has it and where its going from there right? I mean im confused; im fine its starting X but in the months coming and it comes to me; then what?

Is it not possible to have a solid flight plan? I am more then willing to plot it out; trust me I <3 DP and think this is an awesome idea. I will gratfully put my personal time into ensuring its flight is the cheapest and easiest as it can be.

edit: I think someone needs to be apointed the GPS.. and by that I mean everyone should send it tracked; and everyone should send this one person the tracking info.. so this one person is in charge of overseeing its whole flight.. it seems reasonable to me. only becuase i hope the items in it are worth more then a simple digikey order.. I know what I put in the box will 20x what I take (i mean an AVR vs FPGA style).
Post by: Sjaak on March 28, 2012, 12:12:24 pm
Interesting thoughs :) Basicly if the box leaves my desk I don't care anymore ;)

Actually this will be on the frontpage today. Lets see what that will bring.
Post by: markus_b on March 28, 2012, 12:48:15 pm
I think we should collect the list of interested parties first, then determine an itinerary along the lowest shipping fees.

Someone should track the progress and know where the package is going. The real addresses should not be public by default (I don't need to hide mine, though). Public tracking numbers would be nice, but may interfere with low cost shipping and reveal real addresses.
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 28, 2012, 01:15:37 pm
[quote author="markus_b"]I think we should collect the list of interested parties first, then determine an itinerary along the lowest shipping fees. [/quote]

there has to be an app for this!
Post by: ian on March 28, 2012, 01:53:02 pm
Go for it Brent!
Post by: drewmerc on March 28, 2012, 03:27:07 pm
add me to the list, i'm in the uk
Post by: DavidMenting on March 28, 2012, 03:29:37 pm
Another Netherlander wanting to join. I've got a ton of nice goodies to put in so I hope there's still some room in the box :)
Post by: EnsuingRequiem on March 28, 2012, 03:31:01 pm
Definitely interested. I've wanted to participate in one of these for a while.
Post by: R3tikus on March 28, 2012, 03:32:03 pm
can i came in? i'm from Spain
Post by: arupbsk on March 28, 2012, 03:33:03 pm
[quote author="markus_b"]I think we should collect the list of interested parties first, then determine an itinerary along the lowest shipping fees.
[/quote]
International shipping fees from my location (India) is around $10/K.G for registered(traceable) airmail to the US. If the box gonna be lightweight (not containing transformers, cabinets, etc) count me in the list.
Post by: riktw on March 28, 2012, 03:54:56 pm
As you correctly guessed i am indeed interested :)
Post by: stephenK on March 28, 2012, 05:43:06 pm
I would like to receive the "box".  I have a lot of strange items that will love to travel the world.
Post by: danielw6610 on March 28, 2012, 05:52:51 pm
I would love to participate in this. I have done this with other things in the past and it can be real fun to see what you get and what gets put back.
Post by: drewmerc on March 28, 2012, 06:35:46 pm
it should just be documented with 2 simple google docs list's

1 public and 1 private, the public 1 could have the next few participants who it could be sent to (based on location i'm sure is possible to combine a google docs list with google maps)
the private one with a list of all participants there location and what they traded plus mail info and the maintainer(BrentBXR) of the private list has overall control
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 28, 2012, 06:50:11 pm
Google docs was used during the 7400 contest, there were some problems using it and not everyone uses Google.

privacy issues is one of our big concerns, anyone receiving the "big box" is registered on the forum anyway, and a pm through the forum seems to be the easiest solution for now.
Post by: markus_b on March 28, 2012, 07:03:34 pm
I think the best is if someone steps forward and volunteers to organize. Brent seems to be inclined to do so. The volunteer can decide on his favorite means of communication. Google docs is not bad, if there is a backup, like forum PM's.
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 28, 2012, 07:13:58 pm
[quote author="markus_b"]I think the best is if someone steps forward and volunteers to organize. Brent seems to be inclined to do so. The volunteer can decide on his favorite means of communication. Google docs is not bad, if there is a backup, like forum PM's.[/quote]

our "fearless leader" already has lots on his plate, someone to coordinate would be nice.
Post by: Sjaak on March 28, 2012, 07:25:42 pm
[quote author="markus_b"]I think the best is if someone steps forward and volunteers to organize. Brent seems to be inclined to do so. The volunteer can decide on his favorite means of communication. Google docs is not bad, if there is a backup, like forum PM's.[/quote]

I prefer to keep it in the forum, as the contestants will be forum members.
Post by: pin on March 28, 2012, 11:33:25 pm
im in i have a few basic stamp board i cood put in

usa, louisiana

one thing i have a messed up bp v4 i need to unsolder the pic but have no way to do it with out messing up the pcb if i put a note on it cood i put it in
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 28, 2012, 11:49:18 pm
[quote author="pin"]im in i have a few basic stamp board i cood put in

usa, louisiana

one thing i have a messed up bp v4 i need to unsolder the pic but have no way to do it with out messing up the pcb if i put a note on it cood i put it in[/quote]

there may be a forum member close by that is able to swap the pic out for you. starting a new thread may yield better results.
Post by: torwag on March 29, 2012, 04:11:31 am
Hey,
If you pass it to Tayken, I would join and he could send it over to Sendai (or vice versa).
I mentioned in the comments already. Maybe someone could add a GPS-logger. People receiving the package, simply upload the data from SD-card to a server and we all can track which way the box took.
Would be interesting to see how many gps-fix we would get.
Adding a log-book so people can write down the arrival data, what they took out and put in and the date they send it away, maybe add some remarks too.
People might like to add some extraordinary stuff which could be reserved for Ians shelf. They still look empty ;)
Post by: Sjaak on March 29, 2012, 08:52:41 am
[quote author="torwag"]I mentioned in the comments already. Maybe someone could add a GPS-logger. People receiving the package, simply upload the data from SD-card to a server and we all can track which way the box took.
Would be interesting to see how many gps-fix we would get.
[/quote]

Although very interesting I'm afraid for the privacy issues by posting the last miles of the GPS log. It isn't uploaded realtime though..

[quote author="torwag"]
Adding a log-book so people can write down the arrival data, what they took out and put in and the date they send it away, maybe add some remarks too.
People might like to add some extraordinary stuff which could be reserved for Ians shelf. They still look empty ;)[/quote]

i like this idea, I'll get a cahier to stuff into the package.
Post by: sqkybeaver on March 29, 2012, 02:58:26 pm
[quote author="Sjaak"]i like this idea, I'll get a cahier to stuff into the package.[/quote]

i'll take one too
Post by: Pisami on March 29, 2012, 04:49:25 pm
It is easy to delete the points from gpx file before uploading, if needed. It is only xml.
Post by: Sleepwalker3 on March 29, 2012, 05:53:56 pm
I have a bit of 'oddball' electronics stuff that I likely won't use from a grabbag or two, but most is not components. If I get a moment I'll try to take a pic or two and see if it's useful for anyone. The problem I see is perhaps too much stuff going in and the box being heavy and therefore costing a lot to send. Also what method of sending is expected, post offers a number of different levels?

Oh, Australia here, so I guess it will take a while if I ever stick my hand up for it.
Post by: jph on April 01, 2012, 01:36:53 am
Hope some parts can make it down under. Electronis parts are not cheap down here. I normaly buy parts ebay (hong kong/china) and  oher overseas sellers
Post by: Sleepwalker3 on April 01, 2012, 02:07:20 pm
I don't find parts overly expensive, but I guess it depends where you shop. If you buy 10 resistors at Jaycar, then yes, they will be overpriced, but they have to make a few cents on them. Really depends what you're buying, how much - 10 or 10,000 - and who you're dealing with.
Post by: BrentBXR on April 02, 2012, 03:34:48 am
I guess I will step up as the box monitor; everyone on Sjaak's list please PM me your address so I can create an effecient map; then each leg of its journey; I will PM the next guy; the address he needs to send it too and so on...

I will also keep a simple google map showings it little flight plan (generally; not exact addresses but area to area to keep the addresses private). And yeah; maybe a wiki page is in order? Then we can post:

Username
Date of arrival
Date of depart
and what you took and what you plan todo with it.

Instead of it being a ton of forum posts and such... just a thought
Post by: rob0bob on April 04, 2012, 02:29:55 am
Hey! I'm in the UK and have boxes full of accumulated components and parts for projects that never took off. I'm sure I could spare a few bits and pieces.
Post by: BrentBXR on April 06, 2012, 03:35:48 am
Alright; im now getting this thing kick started...

Sjaak ; where is the box right now? who has it? and where is he (closest area you can tell me without telling the acutal address would be great. I really want to get this thing rolling and get a nice itinerary for our box :D

ima try to also calculate shipping costs per person. Remember each person will need to flip the bill shipping it to the next guy, its just part of the deal. a couple people may need to bite the bullet and pay to have it shipped to anouther country; once it map it out I will try to gather more then one option on who that might be; then perhaps discuss between them who is OK with shipping it out the country... I dont know yet; there really isnt that may ppl; so you may be forced! I will let you know before the fact; incase you need to opt out due to that alone.

So far only 6 of the 12 people on Sjaak's list have provided me with there address; so I cannot continue. They are:

Sqkybeaver (sent me a partial; if thats all your comfy with then thats fine. I will tell the user with the box to get your address)
jdownj
schazamp
riktw
erdabyz
retikus
torwag

Notice to new comers; this Box o' Parts as I understand it is really a trial thing. So at the moment only well known DP forum members are eligible. so..... for the multiple people sending me there address saying there not on the list because they joined the thread late. Thats not how it works. Sjaak created that list without asking if the members wanted in or not. The list is of trusted members who may enter in if they wish; they may opt out (like arhi for example).

If you feel like you should be on the list you must talk to Sjaak and get his permission. If he says its alright then I can throw you in the mix.

Thanks guys.
Post by: stephenK on April 25, 2012, 06:53:52 pm
I would like contribute/partake of this project. I have a ton of weird things to add. USA
Post by: arupbsk on April 26, 2012, 03:01:16 am
What's the current status?
Post by: Sjaak on April 26, 2012, 09:17:52 am
[quote author="arupbsk"]What's the current status?[/quote]

The box is still at my place. I planned to send it off to riktw last weekend, but due to work it didn't happen.
Post by: BrentBXR on April 27, 2012, 02:26:15 am
I was hoping to help by designing a flight plan; but not many people sent there info... So I guess it will just have to be tracked via this forum or perhaps a wiki page?
Post by: markus_b on April 27, 2012, 11:32:42 am
[quote author="BrentBXR"]I was hoping to help by designing a flight plan; but not many people sent there info... So I guess it will just have to be tracked via this forum or perhaps a wiki page?[/quote]
Brent, should we all send you out address via PM ?
You can then publish the list/flight plan with the forum handles here so we can see that we are on the list and in which position.

I'd like to see some sort of basic rules about how fast you are supposed to send it on, which priority, what to take out/put in, etc.
Post by: Sjaak on April 27, 2012, 11:45:59 am
[quote author="markus_b"][quote author="BrentBXR"]I was hoping to help by designing a flight plan; but not many people sent there info... So I guess it will just have to be tracked via this forum or perhaps a wiki page?[/quote]
Brent, should we all send you out address via PM ?
You can then publish the list/flight plan with the forum handles here so we can see that we are on the list and in which position.

I'd like to see some sort of basic rules about how fast you are supposed to send it on, which priority, what to take out/put in, etc.[/quote]

The basic rules are in the first post, the persons who are participating are in the second. The sender decides which carrier is used for shipping. Since the distances are not to big shipping time is just one or two working days. That will also keep shippingcost to a minimum.
Post by: arupbsk on April 27, 2012, 11:52:26 am
[quote author="Sjaak"]Since the distances are not to big shipping time is just one or two working days. That will also keep shippingcost to a minimum.[/quote]
Expect the cases when it will go international. And I still don';t know whom I'll forward the box after it reaches me because I'm the last in the list.

As suggested earlier(?) A L.P.P should be done after getting shipping cost information from each node(!) so that we will end up in such a route where shipping cost will be minimum for all members.
Post by: markus_b on April 27, 2012, 12:24:22 pm
[quote author="Sjaak"]The basic rules are in the first post, the persons who are participating are in the second. The sender decides which carrier is used for shipping. Since the distances are not to big shipping time is just one or two working days. That will also keep shippingcost to a minimum.[/quote]
I see, looks good !

Sorry, I don't have the habit yet to check the first couple of posts in a forum for updates. Have to teach the old dog new tricks :-).
Post by: Sjaak on April 27, 2012, 01:44:27 pm
[quote author="arupbsk"][quote author="Sjaak"]Since the distances are not to big shipping time is just one or two working days. That will also keep shippingcost to a minimum.[/quote]
Expect the cases when it will go international. And I still don';t know whom I'll forward the box after it reaches me because I'm the last in the list.

As suggested earlier(?) A L.P.P should be done after getting shipping cost information from each node(!) so that we will end up in such a route where shipping cost will be minimum for all members.[/quote]

In the other topic (see link in startpost) there were a couple of people that posted the cost of shipping a small box. The box is under a 1kg and for most people the cost of sending the box is between 5$-10$ (internationally) I think. I think it is undoable to get first all the shippingcost from all the participants to every possible destination, then calculate the 'cheapest' route for the packet. Brent told me he asked everyone in the list for their address, but only one or two did respond, so I doubt we will ever get a complete list.

If shipping costs is an problem I'd be happy to split the box into a couple of bubble-enveloppes and use normal postal services instead of parcelservices to send it around to others.
Post by: markus_b on April 27, 2012, 01:59:01 pm
[quote author="Sjaak"]In the other topic (see link in startpost) there were a couple of people that posted the cost of shipping a small box. The box is under a 1kg and for most people the cost of sending the box is between 5$-10$ (internationally) I think. I think it is undoable to get first all the shippingcost from all the participants to every possible destination, then calculate the 'cheapest' route for the packet. Brent told me he asked everyone in the list for their address, but only one or two did respond, so I doubt we will ever get a complete list.

If shipping costs is an problem I'd be happy to split the box into a couple of bubble-enveloppes and use normal postal services instead of parcelservices to send it around to others.[/quote]
I would have expected that disclosing the address to Brent is a prerequisite to be on the list.

I looked up Swiss prices:
- International parcel: Starts at CHF 36 ($ 33) for Europe, gets more expensive overseas
- International letter (Small parcels are a 'maxiletter'): Starts at CHF 12.50 ($11) if below 1kg and in Europe, gets more expensive overseas.
I'd appreciate not having to send overseas, after haveing seen the tarifs :-(.

Other thing: It looks to me like the size and weight makes a big difference in price, so it is important that we can stay below 1kg.
Post by: voidptr on May 07, 2012, 02:51:00 am
[quote author="markus_b"]
ZAP
Other thing: It looks to me like the size and weight makes a big difference in price, so it is important that we can stay below 1kg.[/quote]

Just a comment for sending to other countries,  "The Box" should be sent as a personal gift with low or no value, is you want to reduce cross border fee.  Sender and receiver should talk together to choose the best shipping way, to minimize those fee .

Interesting idea tho we did that with letters many years ago :o)
I'm a bit to noob I think to have interesting stuff to put inside "The Box" ...
all the stuff I have can be obtain easily everywhere.

:o)
Post by: Sjaak on May 09, 2012, 08:41:16 pm
The box went off last weekend and did arrive today at riktw.

The only things I took out where some sparkfun-boxes, a finger print sensor and some microhooks. I choose for the fingerprintsensor since it was a large object and it didn't fit the box :)

Edit: the box is approx 30x15x15cm and approx 1kg
Post by: oliver on May 11, 2012, 02:03:51 am
Oh! So it's still in NL :D Interesting :)
Post by: riktw on May 13, 2012, 09:48:53 pm
Here an update
Box is indeed at my place till tomorrow.
It will go to Jawi next.
This is what I took out:
http://http://www.brc-electronics.nl/Fotos/Random/DSC02351.JPG
And what I put in:
http://http://www.brc-electronics.nl/Fotos/Random/DSC02347.JPG
http://http://www.brc-electronics.nl/Fotos/Random/DSC02348.JPG
Lets see:
About 10 PIC's, some 16F, some 24H and a DSPic.
Some Atmega328's with Arduino 0022 bootloader.
Some LPC1113 ARM Cortex M3 devices from NXP (Can be programmer with flashmagic via a serial port if you like that)
A CPLD breakoutboard, uses a Altera Max V CPLD, don't have the schematic anymore :(
Some PCB's for a 78XX power supply
2 Simplecortex PCB's, old revision(0.5), eagle files can be found here: http://www.brc-electronics.nl/hardwar (http://www.brc-electronics.nl/hardwar)
2 SMD sockets, don't know for what package, looks big :)
2 1200V 150A IGBT's, for some sick coilgun perhaps?
Some cheap LED strips.

And as nixie tubes are something most people here like I threw in some other old parts, 2 radiotubes, both triodes.
A 56 tube and a 227 tube, both really old stuff, the 227 tube is from 1930s, 56 tube around WWII, 1940's I guess.
Datasheets can be found here: http://frank.pocnet.net/index.html (http://frank.pocnet.net/index.html)
Post by: arupbsk on May 14, 2012, 05:49:20 am
Nixies!
I'm sure if Arhi didn't opted out and the box reached him with those, he would love those.

Should there be any new rule like the person should build something with the parts he took out and post it in this form by 1-2 weeks or .....
Post by: tayken on May 14, 2012, 08:39:09 am
[quote author="riktw"]
This is what I took out:
http://http://www.brc-electronics.nl/Fotos/Random/DSC02351.JPG
[/quote]
Hey, I know that badge kit somehow! :D Just the silkscreen is on the back to show the direction, LED should be mounted on the front side where the THS logo is. ;)
Propeller board, nice! I got myself the DIP package IC and an EEPROM to make my own board. :)
Post by: Sjaak on May 14, 2012, 10:21:36 am
[quote author="arupbsk"]Nixies!
I'm sure if Arhi didn't opted out and the box reached him with those, he would love those.

Should there be any new rule like the person should build something with the parts he took out and post it in this form by 1-2 weeks or .....[/quote]

These are just regular tubes (still vintage :)) They will glow but don't display anything,
Post by: ian on May 15, 2012, 10:14:54 am
Nice, the first report. Thanks for sharing pictures!

I looks like you scored a bunch of stuff from our travels :) I see Open Hardware Summit stuff from New York, badges from Tokyo, and Flux from Shenzhen. Great additions too, lots of chips.
Post by: oliver on May 15, 2012, 11:20:13 am
How many dutch people are in the queue? :)
Post by: sqkybeaver on May 15, 2012, 04:59:15 pm
tubes, i love tubes!
Post by: blkcat on May 16, 2012, 12:06:34 am
I'd love to jump in line if you're looking for folks in the US!
Post by: tagno25 on May 16, 2012, 01:51:36 am
I would like to be added to the chain.
Post by: Philip on May 22, 2012, 04:19:43 am
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]tubes, i love tubes![/quote]

I got of them at home - dunno what are they but i have a whole box of them - im refereing to vacuum tubes not nixies
Post by: AndThen on May 22, 2012, 09:41:21 am
How big is the box? You may need more than one if you want one of These (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer#Reconstruction)
Post by: sqkybeaver on May 22, 2012, 05:05:52 pm
the common audio tubes, don't need anything big. i have a few tube project books from the wayback i would like to build.
Post by: Philip on May 23, 2012, 05:38:08 am
Im not sure how to ship these tubes there
Post by: jawi on June 03, 2012, 04:10:01 pm
I've got the big box of parts standing on my desk. Sorry for the delay, I got preempted several times before writing this post. Who's next on the list to receive it?
Post by: Sjaak on June 06, 2012, 08:02:29 pm
[quote author="jawi"]I've got the big box of parts standing on my desk. Sorry for the delay, I got preempted several times before writing this post. Who's next on the list to receive it?[/quote]

Take a look at the second post and pick anyone ;) Also please post some pictures :)
Post by: erdabyz on June 07, 2012, 01:45:35 am
I'm next!!!
Post by: jawi on June 08, 2012, 10:17:46 am
The Big Box has left the Netherlands and is on its way to Spain...!

[s:]I'll make some pics about the goodies I took from it and post them here.[/s:]

I've made a pretty picture of the goodies I took from the box:

[attachment=0]

Post by: erdabyz on June 11, 2012, 01:40:55 pm
The box has arrived to Spain! I've got the pickup note so I'll get it tomorrow at the post office. I'm not sure if I'll be able to send it to the next participant until saturday, this is my last week of finals....
Post by: markus_b on June 11, 2012, 02:11:37 pm
Good luck for your finals, then !
Post by: ian on June 12, 2012, 11:43:36 am
I missed your pics Jawi. Thanks for posting them! I recognize some of that stuff :)
Post by: erdabyz on June 12, 2012, 03:30:02 pm
I suggest changing the title of the thread to "Huge Box of Parts"

Didn't expect the box to be THAT big. It's full of awesomeness! (and a truckload of power mosfets, LOL)

I'll see what I take from it and I'll think about what could I add... but it's very likely that there'll be some tube-swapping...
Post by: jawi on June 12, 2012, 04:11:39 pm
Oh, I totally forgot to mention that I had to replace the original box with another (slightly bigger) one; my daughter got hands on the original one and tore off one of the flaps... Alas, the box is again on its way, so have fun with it, people!
Post by: drewmerc on June 13, 2012, 01:12:20 am
can i get put on this list in merry old england
Post by: werejag on June 13, 2012, 11:30:38 am
still open to put my lot in for the traveling box show?

usa here
Post by: erdabyz on June 13, 2012, 01:04:45 pm
Houston, we have a problem. The box now weights 1353g and.... sending it to anywhere in Europe via the cheapest method from spain is extremely expensive at 19,80€... We have one of the most expensive postal systems... but I expected the box to weight under a kilo, which would cost 12,50€, something affordable...

So... ¿what do?

I was thinking about taking out the heaviest stuff, but it happens to be the coolest stuff also...
Post by: fcobcn on June 13, 2012, 02:26:18 pm
Any chance to jump in the loop before the box leaves Spain? I'm in Barcelona.
Maybe I can help to take some weight out ; )
Post by: arupbsk on June 13, 2012, 02:39:02 pm
[quote author="erdabyz"]I was thinking about taking out the heaviest stuff, but it happens to be the coolest stuff also...[/quote]
So just take it out. rules say you should take out the parts you like and put in whatever you have lying around. It will be nice if you do something with the heaviest stuff and show us.
Post by: erdabyz on June 13, 2012, 03:57:19 pm
[quote author="arupbsk"][quote author="erdabyz"]I was thinking about taking out the heaviest stuff, but it happens to be the coolest stuff also...[/quote]
So just take it out. rules say you should take out the parts you like and put in whatever you have lying around. It will be nice if you do something with the heaviest stuff and show us.[/quote]

Well, the heaviest thing happens to be a kit to make something really cool i'm not going to reveal, which involves a large PCB and some components. It's very cool but I don't have any use for it so I'd prefer not taking it. The second heaviest thing is some sort of huge "visualizing equipment", and I also have no use for it, so again  I wouldn't want to take it out. The IGBT's are also heavy metal chunks. The tubes were also heavy but they'll stay with his new daddy which is gonna (hopefully) make a preamp out of them.

Removing all this stuff and adding my own, the box still weights 1050g... 

I'll try my best to remove stuff while keeping the cool things inside to get it below 1kg...

Edit: I could cut down 100g by removing unnecesary packaging and rearranging a bit the rest of it. Still 1234g with all the cool things in...
Post by: erdabyz on June 18, 2012, 11:23:55 pm
Waiting for  pisami's adress to send the box!
Post by: markus_b on June 19, 2012, 12:14:15 am
Would it not make more sense to send it to retikus in Spain instead of Finland ?
Post by: erdabyz on June 19, 2012, 02:31:40 am
[quote author="markus_b"]Would it not make more sense to send it to retikus in Spain instead of Finland ?[/quote]

Yeah, it definitely would. I was just following the order of the list...

So do I send it to retikus?

EDIT: Box finally sent to r3tikus!

Go box go!
Post by: ricros on June 23, 2012, 03:10:47 am
Can I be added to the chain?

I have a lot of stuff that I no longer use and I can send it cheap to Europe.

I'm from Portugal.
Post by: Philip on June 25, 2012, 07:45:02 pm
Would it be nice too to have a section of the website say "Things that i have and you might need" then people can pay for the shipping to thier location - i dunno it just came to my mind
Post by: dpropicweb on June 26, 2012, 01:25:59 pm
[quote author="Philip"]Would it be nice too to have a section of the website say "Things that i have and you might need" then people can pay for the shipping to thier location - i dunno it just came to my mind[/quote]

Ahem: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4172 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4172)
Post by: Philip on July 02, 2012, 07:50:08 am
didnt see that one! thanks
Post by: arupbsk on July 08, 2012, 10:00:42 am
Did the box reached @r3tikus?
Post by: markus_b on July 08, 2012, 07:47:50 pm
The box did reach r3tikus, he asked me about my address via PM. The PM has been waiting for me several days, I missed it somehow and apologize for the delay.

I'll keep you informed here when I get it.

If I read the table correctly, then I should send it to Pisami in Finland next ?
Post by: Sjaak on July 08, 2012, 07:57:38 pm
[quote author="arupbsk"]Did the box reached @r3tikus?[/quote]

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/06/ ... s-exposed/ (http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/06/25/big-box-of-parts-exposed/)

I guess it did :D
Post by: R3tikus on July 25, 2012, 12:04:13 pm
the package just leave Spain for markus_b, sorry for later, I was on vacation.
Post by: Pisami on July 27, 2012, 06:08:56 pm
Hi, I can't send the Big Box of Parts to India, Japan or USA because it costs over 50 €. And I think to get the BBoP here in the first place I'd have to pay customs and so. So, I can't be a part of its journey, sorry :(

Edit: To other place in Finland or Estonia it would cost me 5€ for up to 30 kg box.
Post by: markus_b on July 31, 2012, 02:04:38 pm
The box is now in customs in Switzerland. Unfortunately I'm leaving for a two weeks starting this Thursday, so it may be stuck here for a while too. Tomorrow Wednesday is a National Holiday, this does not help speeding it up too.
In the meantime, it may be useful to discuss in which direction the box should go around the globe: Next station, USA, India or Japan ? It may be useful for the participants on the list to look up the shipping cost to other places. Whats the fare USA-Japan, or Japan->USA and India->USA or India->Japan ?
Post by: arupbsk on July 31, 2012, 04:39:09 pm
From me(India) to USA (1KG, Registered post with tracking, by air): Near USD $12
                      to JAPAN (1KG, Registered post with tracking, by air): Near USD $10

Edit:

EMS(Speedpost) rates:  1KG USA: ~US$ 21
                                    1KG JAPAN: ~US$ 18
Post by: sqkybeaver on July 31, 2012, 04:50:15 pm
for any shipping inside the us, the USPS flat rate boxes are one of the most affordable(depending on size) the boxes themselves should be free.

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm (https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm)?
Post by: tayken on July 31, 2012, 05:28:58 pm
Here (http://http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html) is the EMS shipping rates. I can send it as International Mail, but first I have to find the fees + it can be real slow.

Japan - India (1 kg) -> 1,800 yen (~23 USD)
Japan - USA  (1 kg) -> 2,400 yen (~30 USD)
Post by: markus_b on August 02, 2012, 10:33:19 pm
From the tracking I see that the box is still in customs, I hope I will not be hit with an expensive customs fee. However, I'll leave tomorrow for 10 days and will only be able to retrieve it afterwards.

I think the next logical destination is India. I may be able to give the box to someone travelling there, one of my customers has a lot of Indians working for him and one of them may be travelling home.

We'll see.
Post by: markus_b on August 20, 2012, 08:55:15 am
During my absence the box has arrived in Switzerland, but is now stuck in customs. It looks the customs declaration was insufficient. The customs people need to know the value of the parts in the box to charge me VAT (8%, waived if value below 100CHF/$).

Can we come up with a value of the contents ?

I suspect the same problem will come up in the future too.
Post by: ian on August 20, 2012, 11:08:33 am
It is scrap, printed material, etc : I think it would be a stretch to get 5 bucks for it on ebay. To make them happy I'd say:

Stickers, printed material 2 USD
scrap electronic Circuit boards 10 USD
Used electronics components 10 USD

Do you think that is enough, or do they want a full invoice?
Post by: markus_b on August 20, 2012, 01:29:40 pm
I've sent them your indications. We'll see what they say.

Arup: Can you check what the Indian customs want as documentation to avoid a similar delay again ?

Markus
Post by: arupbsk on August 20, 2012, 01:45:31 pm
Markus: If you get someone traveling to India (as you told earlier) then there will not be any problem. But if you are sending by mail, then you need to do nothing but the following,
1. A CN22 sticker for package declaration. Mark it as gift and put some 5$ value. Also put an additional description as next step.
2. Make a rough list of items in a letterhead with the addresses of sender and recipient. In the last line write that these are for personal use and is gift and that they don't bear any commercial value. Add this in a transparent pouch and attach it to the box.

In my personal experience, I was never charged any customs on any purchased or sampled items, the exception being an MSP430 launchpad for which I paid nearly $10 fees for such 4$30 item where the customs officers evaluated it as $50-75 value because they didn't understand the TI issued letters which were attached to it.

Arup
Post by: ian on August 21, 2012, 08:59:43 am
There is a USA big box starting if anyone wants in on that while the current box traverses europe.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4445 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4445)
Post by: markus_b on August 21, 2012, 02:28:26 pm
I just got a message from the tracker, the box left customs and is under way to me. I think it will arrive tomorrow.

I've started to Indian collegues at work, to see if someone travels in the near future. We'll see.
Post by: markus_b on August 22, 2012, 11:41:48 am
The box got here ! Was working from home today, when the postman rang.

(http://https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q_7L5ASd_rg/UDSmmdrjCtI/AAAAAAAAE9g/NXfNb-hK-Zo/s500/.jpg)

I has a quick look inside, what a mess !

(http://https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FXeR0KM1Ths/UDSnyEDvrwI/AAAAAAAAE9o/1a4v04zxe8I/s600/photo.jpg)

I'll have to add some padding (you could hear the components falling around inside when it was closed) and bag up the free floating components. Fortunately I do have a stock of small plastic bags and some foam to fix it up.

There are also some things I don't think anybody cares anymore (PCB for the PC ISA bus anyone ?), so I may draw up a list of stuff to throw out to save weight, for you to comment.

Last thing: I have a bunch of compute-nodes from an IBM Bluegene supercomputer. These are useless, but make great souvenirs.
Post by: ian on August 22, 2012, 01:04:22 pm
If it is the xt ide kit, i bet there is someone on the vintage computer forum who might for shipiing and time.
Post by: markus_b on August 22, 2012, 02:41:47 pm
[quote author="ian"]If it is the xt ide kit, i bet there is someone on the vintage computer forum who might for shipiing and time.[/quote]
I see, found some info about it. Should I propose it over there and send it off separately ?

It's a nice PCB, feels think and solid !
Post by: markus_b on August 22, 2012, 06:53:26 pm
I've waded through the contents and assembled an inventory of the main parts.
-> Big box of parts inventory on Google docs (http://https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgcvW__OBusadEt1cnJiNlFNZkxjelNSMTIyd1ZuQ0E)
In addition to the mentioned parts there are bags with SMD and through-hole components where I was too lazy to note them in detail.

If one of you suddenly spots a 'I would like *this* very much' item, then notify me I'll add you to the 'Interested' column on the list. May your wish be granted !
Post by: ian on August 24, 2012, 03:43:51 pm
PIC16F84 programmer
JDM PIC programmer
CPLD Board
Board with PIC

These are all things I etched in my kitchen I think :)
Post by: markus_b on August 24, 2012, 04:28:02 pm
[quote author="ian"]PIC16F84 programmer
JDM PIC programmer
CPLD Board
Board with PIC

These are all things I etched in my kitchen I think :)[/quote]
They look done by a skilled hand-etching artist. The CPLD board has quite fine pitched components on it, I would not dare doing that by hand !
Post by: ian on August 27, 2012, 05:03:49 pm
The CPLD board was a nightmare because the SMD socket has all the pins on the inside of the frame an it is a pain in the neck to solder that. If you pop the chip out it looks like a freak show collided with a train. All those boards are super do-able with inkjet transparency and really hot/fresh acid baths.
Post by: ian on August 27, 2012, 05:04:18 pm
BTW: That was my first attempt at a logic analyzer :) CPLD+ SRAM
Post by: markus_b on August 27, 2012, 05:33:20 pm
I've home-etched some boards with ferric chloride when living at my parents home 25 years ago. This was messy enough, so I stopped after moving out as I did not had appropriate space and my motivation for the mess was limited.

For me personally the low-cost PCD prototype houses like seeed are a game changer. It is suddenly feasible again to make PCBs and they look goot to boot ! With 2 weeks delivery time it is fast enough for a hobby. They are cheap enough so you don't worry too much about failures.
Post by: ian on August 27, 2012, 07:34:49 pm
I totally agree!
Post by: arupbsk on September 30, 2012, 06:34:41 pm
Just to keep updated all the folks looking at this thread.................which is not updated more than one month.

Last update from Markus (via G+, 9/11) that he's searching for some people coming to India to send the BBoP to me to avoid customs by sending it from within India via domestic couriers. However there's no further update on that......
Post by: ian on October 12, 2012, 04:09:19 pm
If we can move it quick I can bring it to India next Saturday!
Post by: chiragpatnaik on October 13, 2012, 06:35:10 am
I am in for India as well and wouldn't mind participating in this.
Post by: arupbsk on October 14, 2012, 05:38:13 am
@chiragpatnaik
Then I'm marking you after me. I'll be getting the box next and next I had to ship it to tayken,JP. If I send you and there's no more Indians participating, you'll have to send it to Japan.

PS: Ask Sjaak to add your name in the official list.
Post by: matseng on October 14, 2012, 07:18:30 am
What's the current weight and size of the box?
Post by: arupbsk on October 14, 2012, 09:38:51 am
I guess around 1KG.
Post by: arupbsk on November 03, 2012, 04:28:53 pm
It reached me today. Thanks Markus!
I'll update this thread with the pictures of what I took and what I put after sometime.

Now who's next?
As per Sjaak's list of members and previous decisions, I should send it to tayken,Japan, or should I send it to chiragpatnaik. India?
Post by: Sjaak on November 05, 2012, 07:45:07 pm
Feel free to send it to whom you want :)
Post by: tayken on November 06, 2012, 03:45:54 am
If it is coming to Japan, there is also torwag. I don't know if he is still in but have to check with him too. Now I messed up a perfectly good system. :D
Post by: matseng on November 06, 2012, 04:04:01 am
So after Japan it might be time for the box to hit me in SEA-region....
Post by: arupbsk on November 12, 2012, 02:53:11 pm
Picture time:

What I took out:
[attachment=2]
Some mini USB and micro USB sockets
Two Instructables badge
1 Ultrasonic Rx/Tx pair
2 LM78XX breakout PCB
2 LED strips (green and blue) 12V
USB IR TOY PCB
JDM programmer signed by Ian
2pin polarized headers

What I put in:
[attachment=1]
Atmega32A-PU Breakout PCB / minimum system board
Different types of mini-USB connectors
6pin PS/2 male
USB A female
IDC10 male
My built JDM2 pic programmer (actually swapped with ian's)
Indian FLUX
micro SD card connector
ICL7106 multimetr IC
Philips logo
Ring connector (crimp type)
0603 SMD LEDs
HA13158A 4x34Watt audio amplifier IC (extracted from a car tape player, still works I couldnt add the pcb, sorry)

BOX now weights almost 1KG.

Next destination is Tayken, Japan because there was no reply for 7 days from chiragpatnaik, India.

Now There's a problem that I want to add some other things to the box but that will increase the box's weight and so the postage. Here's the things,

[attachment=0]
Many PCBs of my projects, some that I got from giveaways.
An SMPS (ian will recognize it :) )

Connnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnfusionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn................
Post by: ian on November 13, 2012, 08:59:35 am
JDM programmer swap :) That was one of my first boards.
Post by: chiragpatnaik on November 15, 2012, 03:08:29 am
Apologies,

I had a big project running, just did not have time to breathe (or check out the forum). Add to that our half yearly vacation and not to mention the Diwali madness of the last few days.

Anyway. I seem to have missed it this time around.
Post by: conundrum on November 19, 2012, 08:28:25 pm
Hi, the guys and gals on 4hv started one of these.
It made it round many states of the US, before it got lost.

Might be worth keeping the more expensive parts in one location and sending a "mini box" rather than the whole thing, on the basis that it reduces postage charges and is less likely to be lost in the post or nobbled by Customs/etc.

OTOH, if anyone wants to contribute to a UK/Europe box I have many many nearly antique surplus components, a flat CRT,  vacuum fluorescent tubes, sensors, small batteries and other goodies here waiting for a purpose.
PM or email me and I'll send a box in your general direction

Kind regards, -A
(memo to self, broken flat panels are only useful as overhead lighting!!!)
Post by: tayken on December 16, 2012, 05:21:35 pm
Got the package today. Will look at the contents this week and decide what to take and what to put in. I'll probably ship the box later this week (aka after my Akihabara trip).
Post by: tayken on January 18, 2013, 10:47:47 am
Hey guys,

Finally managed to sort through the thing. New year and research got into way but now the box is waiting for it's receiver. Who will I send it to?

What I took:
[attachment=1]
- 1 SMPS (forgot to add it to the list & pic, I was keeping it somewhere else) I have a thing for PSU's It is pictured in Arup's post :)
- 6 B12NM50N Mosfets
- 2 MX7530 DAC
- 1 DS1801 Digital pot for audio
- 1 dsPIC30F2011
- 2 Tiny motors (I believe steppers? Anyone has info on these?)

What I put:
[attachment=0]
- 2 DS1602 Elapsed time counter
- 2 DS2490S USB to 1-Wire bridge IC
- 2 DS9503P ESD Protection Diode with Resistors (for using with DS2490S was on the example circuit)
- 3 HC-05/HC-06 breakout boards for those nice bluetooth modules
- 10 Test clips
- 1 COMBOMOTOR and 1 COMBOSENSOR packs from TI. I got rid of the packing, they are taped together.
- 1 Aitendo USB sound adapter (not in the pics)
Post by: matseng on January 18, 2013, 11:02:08 am
Dump it to me if you don't have any other closer takers....  I'll PM you my address.
Post by: tayken on January 18, 2013, 11:12:21 am
OK, Torwag move to .de so he is out of the list (even if he is, probably there are some closer people). I'll wait a little to see if anyone else shows up. I'll probably ship it on Monday as post offices are closed for the weekend. Got the PM.
Post by: tayken on January 20, 2013, 09:03:35 am
Today I decided to spend some time to inventory the stuff I have. I came up with a few more items to put as I was feeling I took out more than I put in:
[attachment=0]
- 1 CMOS camera module: Has a USB female A type connector soldered.
- 1 Sjaak's USB TFT breakout board: I have the new version, this one had SPI lines swapped. Did some green wiring so it is operational.
- 5 Kuratas stickers.

I guess there are no takers so tomorrow I'll ship the items to matseng.
Post by: tayken on January 21, 2013, 06:36:16 am
The packet is now on its way to matseng.
Post by: matseng on January 25, 2013, 08:52:31 am
Aaaaand....  It's here....  Only 5 days from Toyko to Kuala Lumpur, not bad.

So when I've done my thing with it, who should I send to then? @sleepwalker3?
Post by: tayken on January 25, 2013, 09:00:44 am
Nice, I was a bit worried about the packing but no problem I believe. :)
Post by: matseng on January 25, 2013, 09:16:08 am
No, it held up just fine in the mail.  Just a little bit squashed...

[attachment=0]
Post by: matseng on January 25, 2013, 06:27:20 pm
OK, this is what I'll be taking out from the BBoP

[attachment=0]

And unless anyone complains I will discard the two broken PLCC sockets (kinda heavy and broken).
I'm also planning to hold on the the XT/IDE Kit that is also rather heavy and then send it directly to someone that have use for it. Most people today have absolutely no use for it so it's just plain silly to ship it around the world a few times before it finds a decent home.
Post by: Sjaak on January 25, 2013, 08:24:09 pm
Damns that patched board is following for ever ;)

If you want I can send you pcb that has no errors :D
Post by: ian on January 29, 2013, 06:03:01 am
Would anyone be interested in boxes from markets? I could pick up stuff I like that is hard to find, but that I have no immediate use for. Just fedex it out from Susi shipper.

Can send a small one from Akihabara next month, but do something rather sizable (and maybe more than one) from China in March or April.
Post by: kris2lee on January 31, 2013, 05:26:07 am
[quote author="ian"]Would anyone be interested in boxes from markets?[/quote]

It sounds interesting, Ian. How it suppose to work? Only thing that I can think of is that the receiver pays all the expenses or it does not make sense (in that case I would be highly interested).

PS. How can one to join with this box of parts thing?

PSS. I made a forum account to be able to post a reply here so yeah, kind of hello everyone!
Post by: tayken on January 31, 2013, 10:19:30 am
[quote author="ian"]Would anyone be interested in boxes from markets? I could pick up stuff I like that is hard to find, but that I have no immediate use for. Just fedex it out from Susi shipper.

Can send a small one from Akihabara next month, but do something rather sizable (and maybe more than one) from China in March or April.[/quote]
We had a plan like that for Akihabara with THS. But couldn't figure out the logistics and all that. We may do it with the new loot we got.
Post by: Sjaak on January 31, 2013, 08:40:48 pm
OWwww new loot!!

Any new stores or just new merchandize?
Post by: tayken on January 31, 2013, 10:24:52 pm
Basically we bought a shop/manufacturer for 5500 yen and shipping. Here is a pic of about half the boxes:
[attachment=0]
Post by: ian on February 01, 2013, 06:02:22 am
Nice! I get to see it I hope :)

Not sure on the market box. COuld just fill it with a to n of hard to find stuff (connectors, buttons, etc) and people take what they like.
Post by: matseng on February 01, 2013, 09:12:54 am
This is what I'll put into the box - probably some more stuffs will find its way into the box before I know whom to send it to.

[attachment=5]
[attachment=4]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]
Post by: ian on February 01, 2013, 10:06:32 am
Five small Neon light bulbs (NE-1)

I spotted those right away!
Post by: matseng on February 06, 2013, 04:06:46 am
Some day I'll build a huge blinkenlichts with 100 NE-1 neon bulbs.  Each bulb needs a resistor and a capacitor and then you just connect to 230 volts and they start to blink. (It's actually more of flashing than blinking since the they are only on for some milliseconds and then off for like a second or so depending on the cap/resistor values)

Anyho....  Back to the issue at hand.

Who should I send the box to?    If noone wants it for now I'll just keep it packed up in a corner of my lab  and ready to be shipped off at some time in the future.

@Gelbanana in .sg  or @Sleepwalker3 in .au maybe?
Post by: BrianGriffin on March 07, 2013, 05:50:22 pm
Hello Matseng,

I'm also in Kuala Lumpur, have a bit of some microcontrollers and I'm also giving away one of my ST microcontroller kits into the box. Is it good? :)

Thanks.
Post by: chiragpatnaik on March 09, 2013, 01:23:12 pm
I have some time on my hands and wouldn't mind being the next in queue. Very much a newbie. Was in queue earlier as well, but missed my turn. I am in India.
Post by: vanarebane on March 21, 2014, 09:36:32 pm
I'm also a newbie and would love to blog about this box. I'm from Estonia
Post by: werejag on June 26, 2015, 01:34:03 pm
this ended?
Post by: Sjaak on June 26, 2015, 02:28:06 pm
[quote author="werejag"]this ended?[/quote]

Long time ago. the box is lost somewhere.
Post by: jacobcarl on May 27, 2016, 09:31:17 am
Hello , still this registration is available ? i want to know more about it .please if anyone available reply me .
Post by: Sjaak on May 27, 2016, 11:56:03 am
[quote author="jacobcarl"]Hello , still this registration is available ? i want to know more about it .please if anyone available reply me .[/quote]

[quote author="Sjaak"][quote author="werejag"]this ended?[/quote]

Long time ago. the box is lost somewhere.[/quote]