Dangerous Prototypes

Other projects => Open Bench Logic Sniffer => Client software => Topic started by: jawi on November 01, 2010, 06:15:21 pm

Title: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases
Post by: jawi on November 01, 2010, 06:15:21 pm
Logic Sniffer client (http://http://ols.lxtreme.nl) is a fork of the SUMP logic analyzer client that is actively developed here in the forum.

This is the preferred client for the Logic Sniffer.

Latest release are available here, as well as news, screenshots and other information:
http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/)

Bugs, feature requests and other improvements can be issued through GitHub:
http://github.com/jawi/ols/issues (http://github.com/jawi/ols/issues)

Some frequently asked questions can be found on:
http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/FAQ (http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/FAQ)

The roadmap (in progress) can be found on:
http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Roadmap (http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Roadmap)

As of release 0.9.5, a change log file is also included in the distribution itself:
https://github.com/jawi/ols/blob/master ... /CHANGELOG (https://github.com/jawi/ols/blob/master/ols.distribution/src/main/resources/CHANGELOG)

Title: Re: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases and requests
Post by: jawi on November 01, 2010, 08:32:18 pm
So, two new topics, and one new release. A minor bugfix release actually, as it should solve the "export to PNG" problem on Windows and Linux. See topic starter post for download links, full change log and so on.

Small list of changes:
Post by: kreutz on November 06, 2010, 05:38:59 am
Hello JaWi;

I tested your alternative release 0.91 with my original Sump hardware (Spartan 3 starter kit). I like the fact that this software is been really actively developed and would like to see support for the original hardware too (as additional device?), specifically on the sample memory size depth subject.  Is it possible to add user configuration for the maximum memory size of the device used? I know it is already working fine from the drop down box when using the open bench logic sniffer, but the maximum selectable sample memory is only 24K vs 256K capability of the original Sump.

Keep on the good work!

Best regards,

Kreutz.
Post by: jawi on November 07, 2010, 04:27:36 pm
[quote author="kreutz"]
I tested your alternative release 0.91 with my original Sump hardware (Spartan 3 starter kit). I like the fact that this software is been really actively developed and would like to see support for the original hardware too (as additional device?), specifically on the sample memory size depth subject.  Is it possible to add user configuration for the maximum memory size of the device used? I know it is already working fine from the drop down box when using the open bench logic sniffer, but the maximum selectable sample memory is only 24K vs 256K capability of the original Sump.
[/quote]

Hi kreutz,

Thanks for the suggestion; I put this on my TODO list for next release. How exactly these extended memory settings will be provided in the configuration is something I've to think about. I'll keep you posted (and maybe drop you a line if I've got something to test ;))
Post by: ian on November 07, 2010, 04:49:18 pm
Would it be possible to move the serial speed and sample size to an .ini file? This is something we discussed clear back at the beginning of the project (to take advantage of the increased USB/SPI link speeds). Someone also recently requested 4096K for the Bus Pirate and IR Toy (I'd need to double check the exact memory sizes). It would be handy to add new speeds/sample depths easily.
Post by: kreutz on November 09, 2010, 02:04:52 am
Hello;

Thank you for keeping my request in mind.

Best regards,

Kreutz.
Post by: jawi on December 19, 2010, 06:23:36 pm
I just released version 0.9.2 of my client! See topic starter post for download links, full change log and so on.

List of changes:

Thanks everybody for your remarks, comments and bugfixes!
Post by: ian on December 20, 2010, 10:03:58 am
Nice! I'm doing a post now.
Post by: arhi on December 31, 2010, 03:26:03 pm
Request
Post by: sqkybeaver on December 31, 2010, 04:01:01 pm
id lie to see an add on for an oscilloscope.
Post by: arhi on December 31, 2010, 04:43:25 pm
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]
[/quote]

well, in theory adc can sample the data and real time acquisition + client side triggers can then display it as analog data as well as digital data .. I tried something similar with my real time acquisition from 2232h (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=1495.0) but I did not find adc that can do 60MHz :(
Post by: ian on December 31, 2010, 04:59:26 pm

Do you mean the OLS or in the software? The software already has o-scope modes.
Post by: sqkybeaver on December 31, 2010, 05:13:35 pm
i was thinking like an addon board with an adc, voltage ref, and programmable amplifier and do the rest in software
Post by: mabl on January 02, 2011, 09:28:53 pm
Now that there is the FT2232 breakout wouldn't it be nice to add it as a logic analyzer source?

I have found two native java libs for the ftdi chips:

This would allow 60MHz sampling speed with virtually unlimited sampling depth!
Post by: arhi on January 03, 2011, 04:33:39 am
the sample source is there :) http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... pic=1495.0 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=1495.0) ... we can either use java to access ftdi directly or we can use proxy application on localhost and fetch data trough named pipe or similar ...
Post by: nickandrew on January 07, 2011, 01:37:44 am
I have just started using your client. Looks nice!

Some hopefully simple suggestions:

- Add /dev/ttyACM0 as an option in the capture device pulldown

- Open project should show current directory by default, not home directory

- Save project should remember the last-saved filename (i.e. typically implemented as two menu options; Save and Save As ...).

I had some problems; I will check in detail later but I suspect they are correlated with enabling RLE. I monitored a
simple square wave on pin 0, and at different sample rates the frequency of the square wave seemed to change.
Also other (unused) input pins showed signals where there were none. Perhaps it's having trouble decoding the
RLE data?
Post by: arhi on January 07, 2011, 07:48:06 am
[quote author="nickandrew"]
Also other (unused) input pins showed signals where there were none.
[/quote]

if they are unconnected - then you don't know the state of those so yes - there is data, as they swing from 1 to 0 and back. If you want them to read 0 tie them to the GND
Post by: jawi on January 07, 2011, 08:54:00 am
Some hopefully simple suggestions:

- Add /dev/ttyACM0 as an option in the capture device pulldown

- Open project should show current directory by default, not home directory

- Save project should remember the last-saved filename (i.e. typically implemented as two menu options; Save and Save As ...).
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions; regarding the /dev/ttyACM0 thing: it isn't listed when opening the dropdown? What version are you using of the client? For the other items I'll create a todo...

I had some problems; I will check in detail later but I suspect they are correlated with enabling RLE. I monitored a
simple square wave on pin 0, and at different sample rates the frequency of the square wave seemed to change.
[/quote]

Mind that the RLE-functionality is still a bit of a work-in-progress. We're progressing slowly with the help of members of this forum to improve it. I'll put a note on my todo to check whether the RLE doesn't mingle the frequency counts. Thanks for the remark!
Title: Re: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases and requ
Post by: jawi on January 28, 2011, 11:38:07 am
As more and more people are willing to give the new firmwares a test, I'd needed to make some changes to the client in order to get it working. I've uploaded a beta release of 0.9.3 for people to use... See topic starting post for the download URL.

Enjoy, and keep me posted on the bugs ;)
Post by: kandos on January 29, 2011, 07:12:41 am
Hi Jawi
  Thanks for your excellent software and the time that you put in to this project.I have what i hope is a simple request and if it is not then i really don't need it that much but would it be possible to have a remove all cursors option in the cursor menu .This would save having to disable them one  at time.

Thanks
Nick
Post by: jawi on January 29, 2011, 04:09:59 pm
[quote author="kandos"]Hi Jawi
  Thanks for your excellent software and the time that you put in to this project.I have what i hope is a simple request and if it is not then i really don't need it that much but would it be possible to have a remove all cursors option in the cursor menu .This would save having to disable them one  at time.

Thanks
Nick[/quote]

I'll put it on the todo list; it isn't much of a problem to implement this. Thanks for the suggestion!

edit: and it's in the main GitHub repository...
Post by: ian on February 03, 2011, 02:16:19 pm
I've been doing some debugging with other devices and have a few suggestions:

If there is no reply to 0x04, send 0x00 5 times to clear the device. This will make it more backwards compatible. The Bus Pirate and IR Toy don't distinguish between long and short commands, so they choke after the 0x04.

When x is written, the sampling frequency is set to f = clock / (x + 1)

Can we add a divider constant to the meta data? Right now we just assume clock = 100mhz, so I try to scale in the PIC and it's pretty ugly.
Post by: jawi on February 03, 2011, 10:38:23 pm
@DavidFrancis: I've implemented your suggestions, they are now available in GitHub. Thanks!

@Ian: I send a reset after a metadata command has been send and processed. Will this suffice?
Post by: ian on February 04, 2011, 07:56:11 am
@Ian: I send a reset after a metadata command has been send and processed. Will this suffice?

That is perfect.
Post by: ian on February 04, 2011, 02:23:14 pm
I'm going to split this thread up a little bit.
Title: OLS v0.9.3 released
Post by: jawi on February 06, 2011, 06:10:01 pm
I've just released version 0.9.3 of my client. See topic starter post for download links.

This release mostly focused on getting the RLE-routines to function properly. Especially with the new firmwares made by rasmus and Ian/dogsbody, it became apparent that the previous versions of my client were severely b0rked in their RLE-support.

A summary of new features:

And a summary of the improvements/bug fixes/other annoyances that have been fixed:

Thanks to everybody who submitted bugs, patches, contributions, tips, ideas and donations! Your contributions are very valuable to me and the quality of this software.

Enjoy!
Post by: jawi on February 07, 2011, 09:38:09 pm
Due to the number of "critical" bugs on the latest release, I've made an immediate service pack release of the 0.9.3 version of my client. See topic starter post for download links.

This service pack should fix the following problems:

Sorry about the fuzz, hopefully this service pack will provide a better quality...
Title: Re: Jawi's Logic Sniffer client software - releases
Post by: miki on February 09, 2011, 08:03:12 pm
jawi, first off, amazing application. I myself am a programmer and hardware developer and really appreciate your effort.

I have a small observation and don't know if it's a bug or something else. Since version 0.9.3 it seems that the application doesn't remember its settings when it's closed and reopened. E.g. port, speed, channel groups, recording size etc. are always set to default. Do you have any idea what could be the reason?

Thanks again. :)
Post by: jawi on February 09, 2011, 09:21:44 pm
@miki: yeah, I had to temporarily disable the implicit user settings on the 0.9.3 release due to several bugs. I'm currently working on restoring this functionality, so expect it back in the next release...

Thanks for the report!
Post by: stefant on February 12, 2011, 03:46:31 pm
hi

just tried to update to current git. a rxtx unit test fails:
RXTX fhs_lock() Error: creating lock file: /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB1: File exists
RXTX fhs_lock() Error: creating lock file: /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB1: File exists
[              JUnit4TestMethod] - Starting test testCreateNonExistingConnectionWin32(nl.lxtreme.rxtx.SerialConnectionFactoryTest)

i do get those fhs_lock() errors on all (~5) earlier tests too, but they succeed anyway. that one does not. i'm on ubuntu 10.10 64b.

edit1: all others work ok, and the client works normally as far as i can tell.
Post by: jawi on February 12, 2011, 04:19:01 pm
Hmm, sorry 'bout that. Seems that I've made a small mistake in that particular testcase, it should fail due to a non-existing port being requested under Linux, while you're probably running it with the OLS connected (therefore having a /dev/ttyACM0 device).

Fixed the test in GitHub. Thanks for mentioning!
Post by: stefant on February 13, 2011, 01:58:58 pm
it would be very nice to have a switch to disable the unit tests.
they dont obey the -o (offline) switch of maven (which sucks big hairy donkey balls, if you want to develop while being online via mobile service), only work with the ols attached (intentionally?) and are slow++.
Post by: jawi on February 13, 2011, 02:19:08 pm
you can easily switch off tests: just add [tt:]-DskipTests=true[/tt:] to your mvn command.

(and yes, the tests are assuming there's an OLS plugged in. I want to keep an eye on regression with the serial communication as it b0rks quite a lot on all platforms. For now, there totally disabled because of other problems with the used test-framework (Pax-Exam)).
Post by: stefant on February 14, 2011, 02:37:32 pm
thank you.
i did not mean to generally criticize your use of unit tests at all. it does of course make sense to look for regressions in the communication path.
im not sure, if i will have enough time and motivation, but if so, how would you prefer patches? are github merge requests ok?
Post by: jawi on February 14, 2011, 02:54:47 pm
@stefant: plain patches or GitHub merge requests are also fine (never used them though). I'm very versatile in that aspect ;)
Post by: miro on February 23, 2011, 11:16:24 am
Hi Jawi, I've seen the Roadmap. Let me ask you following:
1. are there any timeframes for the releases set?
2. would it be possible to speed up the functionality planned (e.g. to have r.1.0+ functionality available in r.0.9.4).
As there are more resources available now, would it be still such a challenge?
M.
Post by: jawi on February 23, 2011, 11:28:10 am
@miro:

1. no, no timeline. I'm doing this in my (sparse) free time, so I cannot say anything about when what release will be made. I try to make a release once every 1-2 months, but this is merely based on historical evidence ;)
2. what do you want to see implemented? If demands are high, priorities can be shifted...
Post by: DwayneR on March 06, 2011, 06:23:22 am
Hi there.

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to be asking questions, but here goes.  Would someone be kind enough to move this post to its proper place if this is not it?

Anyway, here goes.

I'm trying to run release 0.9.3.1 on my Win7 64-bit system.  The files are stored in D:OLS.  I get errors when I run the 'run.bat' batch file as follows:

ERROR: Unable to create cache directory: .felix-cache
ERROR: Error creating bundle cache. (java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to creat
e cache directory.)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create cache directory.
        at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:
101)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.init(Felix.java:588)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.<init>(Runner.java:89)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.main(Runner.java:119)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: nl/lxtreme/ols/util/H
ostUtils
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.<init>(Runner.java:98)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner.main(Runner.java:119)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: nl.lxtreme.ols.util.HostUtils
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 2 more

<end of copy>
I've checked security permissions and modified those to allow full access.  No help.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Many thanks!

dwayne
Post by: DwayneR on March 06, 2011, 08:48:02 am
Well, I think that I answered my own question: I right-clicked on the batch file and selected 'Run as Administrator'.  That made everything work.

Now another question: why do I have to do that?  What can I change so that is not necessary?

Many thanks!

dwayne
Post by: DwayneR on March 06, 2011, 09:08:01 am
Me again.

Just noticed something odd with the sample rate drop-down menu: 2KHz and 5KHz are missing.  Is that by design or simply an oversight?

Thanks!

dwayne
Post by: ian on March 06, 2011, 11:02:52 am
Hi Dwayne,

I'm not sure about the administrator issues, but I believe the sample rates are divided that way intentionally. There is a device mode that allows arbitrary frequency dividers to be set though in Device->generic IO.
Post by: DwayneR on March 06, 2011, 10:14:49 pm
I'm not sure about the administrator issues, but I believe the sample rates are divided that way intentionally. There is a device mode that allows arbitrary frequency dividers to be set though in Device->generic IO.

Thanks, Ian.

I did solve the administrative issue: I created a shortcut to the batch file, then set the properties of the shortcut to run as administrator.  It now starts properly when I click the shortcut.

Regarding the sample frequencies: the sample rates start at 10Hz and go up to 200 MHz in a standard 1-2-5 sequence except for 2KHz and 5KHz.  I was assuming that is an oversight or mistake and am simply asking if that is indeed the case.

I noticed it because I was testing the OLS out at home where I don't have much in the way of test gear.  So: I connected channels 1 & 2 to the "Update" switch on the OLS board and chose a low sample rate so that I could see button presses.  1KHz is a little slow and 10KHz is a little fast (6K samples).  I used two channels simply because I didn't know which side of the switch was ground.

I'm also happy to report that RLE seems to be working - I can capture much more than 6 seconds worth of time when the OLS is set to 6K samples @ 1KHz sample rate.  I'll actually have to use some proper test signals to verify correct operation, though.

I needed to have this working for Monday morning - I've got to capture a SPI data stream to see how much data is present.  Its a long story, but the SPI buss controls a bunch of digital pots (each with its own select line) as well as some 74hc595 shift registers (with their own latch line).  I was going to use the original OLS firmware and software but figured that I'd give the new stuff a workout.

Its easy for me to do this - I purchased two OLS boards.  One has the latest firmware and bitstreams as of last fall, the other now has the Demon firmware as of yesterday. 

Thanks again for making such great tools available at prices I can actually afford!

dwayne
Post by: jawi on March 07, 2011, 09:21:26 am
@dwayne: fwiw: the upcoming 0.9.4 release will support the 2 & 5 kHz sample rates. In fact, it can be configured which sample rates you want...
Post by: miro on March 07, 2011, 04:24:39 pm
@jawi: it would be great to have _ANY_sampling_rates_ option in 0.9.4! Miro
Post by: dogsbody on March 12, 2011, 03:26:55 am
[quote author="miro"]it would be great to have _ANY_sampling_rates_ option[/quote]
Any sampling rate supported by the fpga divisor at least...  Still going to be (100Mhz / divisor-count).  :-)
-- IED
Post by: Gridstop on March 23, 2011, 03:51:04 am
I can't get 9.3.1 to start on my Win 7 32bit laptop. Every previous version (didn't test the broken 9.3) works perfectly. All I get is the RXTX warning in the console and then nothing at all. Sits forever until I kill it. Running as admin and everything else I tried doesn't help. Is there any way to get some more verbose debugging info since nothing is showing up in the console?

Works great on my Win 7 64bit desktop though.
Post by: jawi on March 23, 2011, 09:11:33 am
@Gridstop: hmm, not heard or seen that behaviour before.

Did you do a "clean" install, or pasted everything into an existing installation? Is there a [tt:]felix-cache[/tt:] folder in the installation directory with invalid data (of a former installation)? If so, try deleting it.

There's a flag you can append to the commandline, "[tt:]-Dnl.lxtreme.ols.client.debug=true[/tt:]" which outputs some additional information, maybe that is of assistance.

If all fails, could you create a new issue on GitHub (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues)? I want to release a public RC this week of the 0.9.4, so maybe the problem can be tackled before the final release comes out.
Post by: Gridstop on March 23, 2011, 03:41:31 pm
You're going to love this. I started it once with debug on, it sat for about 10 seconds after the rxtx warning, then suddenly finished loading. Previously I've let it sit for 5+ minutes with nothing happening.

Now it works fine even without the debug string.

The delay occurs after the rxtx warning and before the JGoodies Looks. Might be worth mentioning I have a lot of the JDK stuff on this laptop, (Eclipse, Netbeans, etc...) for school.

Code: [Select]
WARNING:  RXTX Version mismatch
        Jar version = RXTX-2.2
        native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
JGoodies Looks: I have successfully installed the 'Sky Bluer' theme.
Installing custom repaint manager...
Mar 23, 2011 9:33:26 AM nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver doAdded
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.measure.MeasurementTool) registered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.measure]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -        nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.i2c]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.i2c.I2CAnalyser) registered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: ServiceEvent REGI
STEREDMar 23, 2011 9:33:26 AM nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver doA
dded
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.onewire.OneWireAnalyser) registered ...

[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: ServiceEvent REGI
STEREDMar 23, 2011 9:33:26 AM nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver doA
dded
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag.JTAGAnalyser) registered ...

INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.test.TestDeviceController) registered .
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.device.test]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -        nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.spi]: ServiceEvent REGI
dded
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.spi.SPIAnalyser) registered ...

[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: ServiceEvent
REGISTEREDMar 23, 2011 9:33:26 AM nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver
 doAdded
INFO: New service (org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDeviceController) re
gistered ...

[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -  nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -          nl.lxtreme.ols.client]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -  nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic.GenericDeviceController) regist
ered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -  nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic]: BundleEvent START
ED
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart.UARTAnalyser) registered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd.ValueChangeDumpExporter) registered
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: BundleEvent START
ED
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state.StateAnalyser) registered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -        nl.lxtreme.ols.logging]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.export.image]: BundleEvent RESOL
VED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -        nl.lxtreme.ols.logging]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.export.image]: ServiceEvent REGI
STERED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.export.image]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: New service (nl.
lxtreme.ols.export.image.ImageExporter) registered ...
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - DEBUG - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: No init-method f
ound; not initializing service!
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    org.apache.felix.framework]: FrameworkEvent ST
ARTED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -    org.apache.felix.framework]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -  org.apache.felix.fileinstall]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:26 AM - INFO  -            nl.lxtreme.ols.util]: BundleEvent START
ED
[3/23/11 9:33:27 AM - DEBUG -    nl.lxtreme.ols.client.Host]: LogicSniffer init
ialized ...
[3/23/11 9:33:27 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.client.Host]:  running on wind
ows7, 6.1 (x86).
[3/23/11 9:33:27 AM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.client.Host]: LogicSniffer v0.9
.3.1 started ...
Post by: jawi on March 23, 2011, 04:03:17 pm
@Gridstop: thanks for testing it out; is there coincidentally another serial device attached to your machine? If so, could you try to run the client without that device connected, and try again? It looks like there's a delay due to the "port" scan done by RXTX...
Post by: Gridstop on March 23, 2011, 04:08:15 pm
It was my laptop's bluetooth. Can't believe I didn't think of it before. RealTerm does the same thing, scanning for ports on startup, but gives a big cancel button and warning about bluetooth. Disabling it makes the OLS client start instantly. Did previous versions not do a scan?
Post by: jawi on March 23, 2011, 04:32:10 pm
Earlier versions did a scan as late as possible, but that caused other nasty side effects. There's a new fork of RXTX that is more actively maintained. Perhaps there the issues no longer exist and I can revert to the earlier behaviour...
Post by: jawi on May 03, 2011, 04:14:15 pm
I've released the latest version (0.9.4) of my client today! See topic starter post and/or the client's home page (http://http://ols.lxtreme.nl/index.html#downloads) for direct download URLs. The list of bugs solved in the final version is mostly the same  to the latest RC.

Major highlights for this version are: the support for the original SUMP hardware, better support for alternative SUMP-implementations, like BusPirate, LogicShrimp and IRToy; the possibility to add your own SUMP-compatible device; the release of an API package (see OLS wiki), and many, many bug fixes/improvements:

Thanks to everybody for testing this and providing me with feedback!

Work on the 0.9.5 is already started...
Post by: ian on May 03, 2011, 09:32:23 pm
Congradulations on another great release. Jack and i are going to highlight it at maker fair in a few weeks.
Post by: jack.gassett on May 09, 2011, 05:42:14 pm
Yes Jawi,

Excellent work, I'm knee deep in preparations for Make Faire right now but I'm hoping to sneak in some time to make an official release to 3.08 with your new client. One of the cool things I'm planning to add is a Linux virtual machine for those who are having issues with drivers. It will have everything ready to go and just needs to be booted up. Also will have a USB based image so you can just boot off a USB drive into Linux with OLS drivers and software ready to go. :)

Jack.
Post by: jawi on May 09, 2011, 05:56:29 pm
@jack.gassett: cool, that would mean even more users could use the OLS with less of a hassle! Good luck with the preparations for the Make Faire!
Post by: Coda on August 15, 2011, 09:58:18 pm
Checking the FAQ I see that Java 1.6 is required, although the main page says "Cross platform: the client runs on Mac OSX (32/64-bit)..." FYI - Java 1.6 is not available for PowerPC Macs, so as I am running a PPC mac, (with 10.5 Leopard), I cannot run the client. Regardless, the main page should mention Intel only, it will probably save a few people an hour each of wasted time figuring out that error. Don't you have an older build, built against the Java 1.5 SDK?

I was hoping to buy a $50 Logic analyser from you, but if I gotta spend $500+ dollars to upgrade my old and perfectly usable (until now) workbench laptop, what's the point? I might as well buy a different/better LA...
Post by: arhi on August 16, 2011, 08:52:10 am
Not many of available la's work on non widows boxes anyhow :( ... it's bigger question why there's no java 1.6 for ppc mac's....

What you might want to try is the python version of the client that should work on ppc 10.5 viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2476 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2476)
Post by: jawi on August 16, 2011, 09:21:51 am
@Coda, arhi: sorry, no backward compatible support for Java5. What I do know is that the Soylatte project aims to bring a recent JDK to alternative Mac platforms, even for the PPC. While I'm reading various reports about success and failure on the net, it might enable you to use my client on your PPC Mac (haven't tested it, but I'm willing to investigate this). You can find more information here (http://http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/)...

HtH
Post by: Coda on August 16, 2011, 03:03:51 pm
@arhi thanks, I'm dloading the python package now.
@Jawi I didn't know about soylatte. While I can't imagine drinking one (soya == eww) I can imagine giving the JDK a try. If it allows me to run the OLS Java client then I'd be happy. I'll report back either way.
Post by: arhi on August 16, 2011, 08:19:38 pm
I'm not sure what happened to original java support for ppc. I think (this is by no means inside info - I do work for sun/oracle but I have ties to java group in this company as much as any other guy from internet) that it is some agreement between Apple and Sun/Oracle because I know Apple is trying to force ppl to dump old PPC machines in any way they find possible but to present publicly how they still support their ppc customers blah blah blah ... so I believe that's one of the reasons many new technologies don't work on ppc mac's. Wrt Java dev's I'm sure they could easy deploy java 1.6 on ppc mac as they do deploy it already on so many platforms that one more and "supported until recently" platform really don't make any differences (especially as they do have all the build and testing equipment for that platform).... I am pretty sure it's Apple who "blocked" that release...

@jawi, I don't use my mac (it is intel osx, I got rid of mine PPC6****  century ago and G3 more then decade ago) for anything related to electronics... it is too big hassle, there's no proper software for mac for electronics - not free nor for money, compiling linux apps on mac works but they look ugly and do not cooperate with rest of the system (copy/paste, window focus etc works like crap) so really - no point of messing with it .. dual boot is out of the question - I have too many desktop and laptops in the house to dualboot the mac :D..

btw, I don't see why you went with 1.6, there's nothing "special" about 1.6 that you need for this client? (I must say I haven't look at the source but..)
Post by: jawi on August 16, 2011, 10:44:10 pm
@arhi: from what I've heard, Apple will contribute their port of the JDK back to Oracle so that Oracle can officially support Mac platforms with their own release cycle. Given the change from PowerPC to Intel, I think that Apple primarily focusses on optimizing its software for a single platform, as this is done easier than to support multiple different hardware platforms. So that's probably why PPC is left behind wrt JDK...

Reasons for using Java 1.6 as target platform is mainly due to the (small) improvements Sun made to Swing, such as native support for threading (SwingWorker), better UI-performance and better integration with Windows Vista & Linux. Overall, the 1.6 release already dates back from 2006, so I (naively maybe) thought that it would be the standard for many, if not all, platforms...
Post by: jawi on November 20, 2011, 02:19:32 pm
Finally, a beta of the newest release is available: 0.9.5-b1! See the opening post (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198#p12425) for download links.

NOTE: this is a first beta, it still needs testing for it will be released as an official & supported release!

As the serial library is changed to an entirely new library, I'd like to invite everybody to try this version on different platforms to see whether it performs well and whether any "strange" things occur during acquisitions. I've done some testing on OSX, Linux and Windows (7) and it appears to work well, but maybe I've overlooked something...

When no strange things come out of this beta, it will be released as an official release.
Post by: wayoda on November 20, 2011, 05:44:43 pm
Hi, Jawi
I tested the new version on latest Ubuntu with JRE 1.6 and JRE 1.7 and found no obvious errors. Capturing data on channels 0-15 at all speeds simply works. I never use more than 16 channels, actually I never used more than 7 channels in the last year, so I can't tell if there are problems with channels 16-31.

There are some minor issues with the GUI which are probably not to hard to fix for a new release:

I did have a problem with one of the panels in the capture settings dialog
[attachment=0]
The Before/After ratio slider could use a little bit more space in its layout. The slider is given no room to expand even if the user makes the dialog-window wider.

The application should remember the setting for last capture device.
When I start up the client  I always have to go through
[tt:]Menu->Capture->Device->OpenLogicSniffer[/tt:]
before I can start collecting data.
It would be nice if the client could remember my setting from a previous run, especially since it perfectly remembers my analyzer port name [tt:]/dev/OpenLogicSniffer[/tt:].

Eberhard
Post by: Qwlciguk on November 20, 2011, 06:29:04 pm
I also see the client not remembering the device selection between sessions, but I see something much more serious.  That is, captures with 16 and 24 channels do not work properly.  With 16 or 24 channel captures with or without RLE, the capture never ends despite the led indicating a trigger.  If I kill it with the red "-" button, the data bears no resemblance to what was really there.  8 and 32 channel captures work correctly with or without RLE.  Even if I uncheck the "trigger enabled" box and no RLE, 16 and 24 channel captures hang. 

0.9.4 version does not show any issue with 16 or 24 channel captures.  Normally, I don't need more than 8 channels, but 16 channels with RLE works best in terms of trading off capture time vs data transitions.  8 channel capture doesn't cover enough time where there are no transitions.  32 channels covers the max time with no transitions, but can't record enough transitions for what I need.

Also, both 0.9.4 and 0.9.5b1 color scheme can be selected as light or dark, but only dark ever shows.  I do like the new RXTX replacement.  No more unwarranted opening of ports that it has no business  messing with.  The old RXTX on 0.9.4 would always hang trying to talk to my mobile phone over blutooth serial port when starting up the client.

B.B.
Post by: wayoda on November 20, 2011, 06:57:50 pm
B.B. is right!
I'm so used to working with a maximum of 8 channels, that I didn't even notice that only 8 channels are shown no matter how many capturegroups have been selected.

[quote author="wayoda"]Capturing data on channels 0-15 at all speeds simply works.[/quote]
Not true, I spoke too soon, only the first 8 channels work for here (including RLE, Simple and 4 stage triggers), other channelgroups are not even shown on the screen.

Eberhard
P.S. I was just too exited about getting rid of RXTX which has given me headaches for a couple of years now!
Post by: jawi on November 20, 2011, 07:36:17 pm
@wayoda: that only 8 channels are shown is probably due to the fact that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th channel group are disabled. See the diagram settings to enable those...

@B.B: I'll take a look at the 16- and 24-bit acquisitions. Thanks for testing this, and mentioning it...
Post by: Qwlciguk on November 20, 2011, 09:53:18 pm
@jawi; I did some further experimentation and it seems that the channels are being misinterpreted when set for 16 or 24 channel capture.  I have 2 signals one on ch 1 and one on ch 2.  In 16 channel mode with RLE off, the signal from ch 1 and ch 2 display on ch 8 and ch 9.  Similarly with 24 channels captured, ch 1 and ch 2 signal display on ch 16 and ch 17.  I'm thinking that with RLE enabled, somehow the software gets very confused due to looking at the wrong channel for RLE info.  Then the data is displayed completely non-sensical.

B.B.
Post by: wayoda on November 21, 2011, 10:57:12 am
[quote author="jawi"]@wayoda: that only 8 channels are shown is probably due to the fact that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th channel group are disabled. See the diagram settings to enable those...[/quote]

You are right, but since I (almost) never use more than the first channelgroup ...
Why do I have to enable the channelsgroups in two different places : the capture dialog and in the diagramm settings?
Any secret logic behind this?

Apart from the GUI stuff , I don't have any problems with signals being mirrored on different channels (with or without RLE /Java6 and Java7).
Test signal is the pwm-output of a BusPirate connected with 5cm long patchcables.

Eberhard
Post by: jawi on November 21, 2011, 11:30:42 am
[quote author="wayoda"][quote author="jawi"]@wayoda: that only 8 channels are shown is probably due to the fact that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th channel group are disabled. See the diagram settings to enable those...[/quote]

You are right, but since I (almost) never use more than the first channelgroup ...
Why do I have to enable the channelsgroups in two different places : the capture dialog and in the diagramm settings?
Any secret logic behind this?[/quote]

It's a secret, so I cannot tell you ;)

Actually, the diagram settings were intended to be able to specify for which channel groups you want the byte-values and/or analog signal possibly with disabling the digital channels altogether; I know one use case for this: the analog scope Ian made a few months back ;)
As for the acquisition settings: there you specify which channel groups you want to enable in the acquisition itself.
But I agree, there's a strong correlation between both settings, and my gut feeling currently tells me that the acquisition settings should be used as input for the diagram settings; but I've to give that a second thought...

[quote author="wayoda"]Apart from the GUI stuff , I don't have any problems with signals being mirrored on different channels (with or without RLE /Java6 and Java7).
Test signal is the pwm-output of a BusPirate connected with 5cm long patchcables.[/quote]

Ok; good to hear. I'll do a short investigation myself as well...
Post by: jone on November 22, 2011, 04:58:16 pm
Have only managed a very quick test so far, but I've found that if I cancel a capture I'm not able to start another until I restart the client (32 bit Linux).
Post by: wayoda on November 22, 2011, 06:33:06 pm
I have the same problem on my machine (64 bit, guess that doesn't matter)
[quote author="jone"]Have only managed a very quick test so far, but I've found that if I cancel a capture I'm not able to start another until I restart the client (32 bit Linux).[/quote]

Here are the log messages for  a complete session:

The Stacktrace for the exception is somewhere in the middle.

Please note the the client does not shut down cleanly.
See last line of log messages.
The window does closed, but some thread(s) are still alive. I have to cancel the client with Ctrl-C.
wayoda@rebooter:~/lab/ols/bin/ols-0.9.6-b1$ ./run.sh 
22.11.2011 18:20:44 nl.lxtreme.ols.util.internal.Activator logEnvironment
INFO: LogicSniffer running on linux, 3.0.0-13-generic (x86-64); Sun Microsystems Inc., v1.6.0_23.
22.11.2011 18:20:45 nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver doAdded
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state.StateAnalyser) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic.GenericDevice) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.spi.SPIAnalyser) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart.UARTAnalyser) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.i2c.I2CAnalyser) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.asm45.Asm45Analyser) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.export.image.ImageExporter) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.test.TestDevice) registered ...
INFO: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.measure.MeasurementTool) registered ...
JGoodies Looks: I have successfully installed the 'Sky Bluer' theme.
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -          org.apache.felix.log]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -          org.apache.felix.log]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -                      org.rxtx]: BundleEvent RESOLVED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: BundleEvent RESOLVED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - logicsniffer.profile.DeviceProfile]: New device profile settings applied for Original SUMP device (SUMP) ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - logicsniffer.profile.DeviceProfile]: New device profile settings applied for USB Infrared Toy OLS mode (IRtoy) ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - logicsniffer.profile.DeviceProfile]: New device profile settings applied for Open Bench Logic Sniffer (OLS) ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - logicsniffer.profile.DeviceProfile]: New device profile settings applied for Logic Shrimp (SHRIMP) ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - logicsniffer.profile.DeviceProfile]: New device profile settings applied for Bus Pirate OLS mode (BP) ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: New service (org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice) registered ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: BundleEvent RESOLVED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag.JTAGAnalyser) registered ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -            nl.lxtreme.ols.api]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: BundleEvent RESOLVED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.onewire.OneWireAnalyser) registered ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -                      org.rxtx]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -                      org.rxtx]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: BundleEvent RESOLVED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: ServiceEvent REGISTERED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - DEBUG - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: No init-method found!
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: New service (nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd.ValueChangeDumpExporter) registered ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -                      osgi.cmpn]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -  nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner]: Bootstrap complete ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -  nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner]:  plugin dir: /home/wayoda/lab/ols/bin/ols-0.9.6-b1/plugins
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - DEBUG -  nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner]:  binary dir: /home/wayoda/lab/ols/bin/ols-0.9.6-b1/bin
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - DEBUG -  nl.lxtreme.ols.runner.Runner]:  cache dir : /home/wayoda/lab/ols/bin/ols-0.9.6-b1/felix-cache
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -    org.apache.felix.framework]: BundleEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -    org.apache.felix.framework]: FrameworkEvent STARTED
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - INFO  -    ols.client.ClientController]: Client started ...
[22.11.11 18:20:45 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Reading window-properties for nl.lxtreme.ols.client.MainFrame ...
[22.11.11 18:20:53 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Reading dialog-specific properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:20:53 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Reading window-properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:00 - INFO  - logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice]: Attaching to /dev/OpenLogicSniffer @ 115.200bps (DTR = low) ...
[22.11.11 18:21:00 - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Starting capture ...
[22.11.11 18:21:00 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing dialog-specific properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:00 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing window-properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:26 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Reading dialog-specific properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:26 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Reading window-properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:28 - INFO  - logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice]: Attaching to /dev/OpenLogicSniffer @ 115.200bps (DTR = low) ...
java.io.IOException: No such port!
        at nl.lxtreme.rxtx.SerialConnectionFactory.createConnection(SerialConnectionFactory.java:137)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.io.ConnectorServiceImpl.open(ConnectorServiceImpl.java:152)
        at org.sump.device.logicsniffer.StreamConnectionFactory.getConnection(StreamConnectionFactory.java:64)
        at org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice.getStreamConnection(LogicSnifferDevice.java:172)
        at org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice.createAcquisitionTask(LogicSnifferDevice.java:79)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.acquisition.BackgroundDataAcquisitionService.acquireData(BackgroundDataAcquisitionService.java:76)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.client.ClientController.captureData(ClientController.java:460)
        at nl.lxtreme.ols.client.action.CaptureAction.actionPerformed(CaptureAction.java:97)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6268)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6033)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2045)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4629)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2103)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4455)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4633)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4297)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4227)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2089)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2517)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4455)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:649)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:96)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:608)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:606)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:105)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:622)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:620)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:105)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:619)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
[22.11.11 18:21:50 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing dialog-specific properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:21:50 - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing window-properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - DEBUG - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: No destory-method found!
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd.ValueChangeDumpExporter) unregistered ...
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -                      org.rxtx]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - DEBUG - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: No destory-method found!
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.onewire.OneWireAnalyser) unregistered ...
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -                      osgi.cmpn]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.export.vcd]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -                      org.rxtx]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.1wire]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -            nl.lxtreme.ols.api]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag.JTAGAnalyser) unregistered ...
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  -      nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.jtag]: BundleEvent STOPPED
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver]: Service (org.sump.device.logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice) unregistered ...
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: ServiceEvent UNREGISTERING
[22.11.11 18:22:04 - INFO  - nl.lxtreme.ols.device.logicsniffer]: BundleEvent STOPPED
22.11.2011 18:22:04 nl.lxtreme.ols.util.osgi.BundleServiceObserver doRemoved
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.test.TestDevice) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.export.image.ImageExporter) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.spi.SPIAnalyser) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.uart.UARTAnalyser) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.device.generic.GenericDevice) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.asm45.Asm45Analyser) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.measure.MeasurementTool) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.i2c.I2CAnalyser) unregistered ...
INFO: Service (nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.state.StateAnalyser) unregistered ...
22.11.2011 18:22:04 nl.lxtreme.ols.client.ClientController$4 run
INFO: Client stopped ...
22.11.2011 18:22:04 nl.lxtreme.ols.task.execution.BackgroundTaskExecutionService close
INFO: Background task execution service closed ...
Eberhard
Post by: jawi on November 22, 2011, 10:53:07 pm
@wayoda, jone: thanks for the report; I'll take a look at it as soon as possible. The reason the client might not end is probably due to the acquisition-thread still being alive...
Post by: flubberlab on November 23, 2011, 12:46:31 pm
@jawi: I'm really excited to see the switch to a different communications library. I ran some quick tests with OBLS, ols-0.9.5-b1, and WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3 to see how the communications went:

Sample Clock = Internal @ 20 MHz
Recording Size = 6k (manual)
Test mode = off
Noise Filter = off
RLE = off

Channel Groups  Capture OK?
--------------        -----------
0              yes   
1              yes
2              yes
3              yes
0, 1            no, upload hangs (progress bar goes just barely to the end, then stops), see log below
0, 1, 2        no, upload hangs(progress bar goes just barely to the end, then stops), see log below
0, 1, 2, 3      yes

Log for cancelled hung captures:

[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - INFO  - logicsniffer.LogicSnifferDevice]: Attaching to COM17 @ 115,200bps (DTR = low) ...
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Starting capture ...
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Found Sump Logic Analyzer/LogicSniffer compatible device ...
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing dialog-specific properties for org.sump.device.logicsni
ffer.LogicSnifferConfigDialog ...
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Detected device type: Open Logic Sniffer v1.01
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - DEBUG - rSessionManager$WindowStateListener]: Writing window-properties for org.sump.device.logicsniffer.Logi
cSnifferConfigDialog ...
[11/23/11 3:34:28 AM - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Using device profile: Open Bench Logic Sniffer

upload hangs here, so I click the "Cancel the current capture" button

[11/23/11 3:34:36 AM - WARN  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Capture interrupted! Only 6,144 samples read ...
[11/23/11 3:34:36 AM - INFO  -    LogicSnifferAcquisitionTask]: Decoding unencoded data, sample count: 6,144
[11/23/11 3:34:36 AM - INFO  - BackgroundDataAcquisitionService]: Acquisition successful!
Post by: Qwlciguk on November 23, 2011, 05:21:38 pm
Flubberflab and Jawi,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with the hang issue on 16 and 24 channel captures.  I also see scrambled data on 16 and 24 channel captures with RLE enabled after manually stopping a hung capture.  For non-RLE captures, after manually stopping, the channels assignments are not correct.  That is, data from channel 0 displays as if were on channel 8.  I did some investigation with Portmon and confirmed that the setup for the capture is absolutely identical between 0.9.4 (which works correctly) and 0.9.5b1.  So, it isn't a setup issue.  Examining the captured data as it is being read, shows something interesting.  On 0.9.4 version, a 16 channel capture gets read one byte per function call to the Windows serial comm driver.  On 0.9.5b1 version, the timing seems just a little bit different and the very first call returns a single byte, but every call after that returns two bytes.  In theory that should be irrelevant, as the calling program should be able to handle how many ever bytes the driver returns, but in 0.9.5b1 it seems to cause a problem.  The first byte appears to be ignored completely and then the client software is out of sync with which data belongs to which channel.  When it gets to the end of the data transfer, the software is waiting for one more byte that the OLS will never send since it already sent all the required data.  It's just that the client software somehow got confused and ignored the first byte.  So, the client software waits forever for the last byte, or until you cancel the capture manually.

B.B.
Post by: jawi on November 23, 2011, 06:18:14 pm
@B.B.: WOW! Thanks for the investigation and detailed report! It will be of great use when I'll dive into this bug. I've created a new issue (#81) (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues/81) on GitHub for this; so you (and others) can track its progress.
Post by: Qwlciguk on November 23, 2011, 07:00:42 pm
[quote author="jawi"]@B.B.: WOW! Thanks for the investigation and detailed report! It will be of great use when I'll dive into this bug. I've created a new issue (#81) (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues/81) on GitHub for this; so you (and others) can track its progress.[/quote]

Here are the Portmon logs showing the behavior:

0.9.5b1 8 ch capture. No hang.

1  0.10029515  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
3  0.10037784  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
5  0.10040773  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
7  0.10043092  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
9  0.10040131  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
11  0.10042785  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
13  0.10039516  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
15  0.02005227  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 62 
17  0.00000503  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 62 
19  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 62 

0.9.5b1 16 ch capture. Hung at the end.

1  0.10034683  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
3  0.10034990  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
5  0.10034767  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
7  0.10038371  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
9  0.10041081  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
11  0.10037672  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
13  0.10041164  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
15  0.10035074  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
17  0.10032057  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
19  0.09724644  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 62 
21  0.00000475  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
23  0.00000475  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
25  0.00000475  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
|
|
|
|
|
|
22513  0.00000391  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
22515  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
22517  0.00000335  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
22519  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
22521  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
22523  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 2: 00 60 
24601  0.10042058  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
24603  0.10016832  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
24605  0.10042701  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
24607  0.10038622  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 

0.9.5b1 24 ch capture. Hung at the end.

1  0.10035745  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
3  0.10035018  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
5  0.10039600  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
7  0.10038036  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
9  0.10038510  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
11  0.04189555  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 62 
13  0.00000447  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 62 
15  0.00000475  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 62 
17  0.00000447  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 60 
19  0.00000447  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 60 
21  0.00000475  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 60 

0.9.5b1 32 ch capture. No hang.

1  0.10039991  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
3  0.10038455  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
5  0.10039404  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
7  0.10038622  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
9  0.10036974  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
11  0.10038036  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
13  0.10039069  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
15  0.10039460  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
17  0.10039097  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
19  0.10034627  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  TIMEOUT  Length 0: 
21  0.02927048  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 1: 63 
23  0.00000503  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 3: 00 00 00 
25  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 4: 63 00 00 00 
27  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 4: 63 00 00 00 
29  0.00000363  java.exe  IRP_MJ_READ  USBSER002  SUCCESS  Length 4: 63 00 00 00 

With 0.9.4, all reads are single byte no matter what the number of channels configured.  Also I noticed on the 32 channel capture with 0.9.5b1, that the beginning of the transfer is one byte followed by 3 bytes and then 4 bytes per call all the way to the end.  In the 16 and 24 channel captures, I see a one byte followed by 2 byte transfers for 16 channel and 3 byte transfers for 24 channel, all the way to the end.  Of course, it doesn't add up to the right amount of data for the 16 and 24 channel cases.  I'm not really sure how calls to read from the serial port are handled at the various layers, but i expect that if you ask for x bytes and only x-1 bytes are available, then it waits forever.

So, I'm thinking that what I said earlier about ignoring the first byte is incorrect.  The first byte seems to be the last data in the capture, as it appears that the data gets transferred in reverse order.  So, the channel scrambling problem is caused by missing data at the end of the transfer.  That missing data corresponds to the beginning of the capture.  If there is one byte or two bytes missing at the end, then when you interpret the data that you did get, you'll be de-synchronized about which data belongs to which channel group.

Getting back to the original issue though, if you start the transfer with a one byte transfer and then switch to 2 byte transfers for the duration of a 16 channel capture, then you're going to have to do a one byte transfer at the end in order to even things up.  If the last call to the serial driver asked for 2 bytes, but there is only one more byte in the buffer, then it hangs I'm guessing.  I didn't count the exact number of bytes transferred, but I expect if I did, we'd see the mismatch.

B.B.
Post by: jawi on November 25, 2011, 12:34:27 pm
I've uploaded a new beta of the newest release: 0.9.5-b2. See the opening post (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198#p12425) for download links.

NOTE: this is still a beta, although quite some people have tested it, it might still need some testing for it will be released as an official & supported release!

Aside the changes made for the first beta, this beta includes:

Many thanks to all people who've taken the time to test the previous beta and report the issues they've experienced!
Post by: Qwlciguk on November 25, 2011, 08:21:40 pm
Jawi,

Thanks very much for this version.  I confirm that issue 81 is resolved.  It works correctly now.  I'll be using this beta version as much as possible to see if there are any more issues to be found.

B.B.
Post by: Codeine on December 04, 2011, 06:38:18 pm
Hello all,

I just downloaded some minutes ago and tried release 0.9.5b2
if I try to use my serial port at a speed upper than 230k I got this error in java :
java.lang.IllegalStateException: JTermios call returned -1 at class jtermios.JTermios$JTermiosLogging line 457

Which I didn't had with the release 0.9.4 I was using until now.

For sure it is not a problem and even don't know if it is a good idea to use the port at a so high speed.
I just wanted to add my input as I am only a end user and can not participate more than this to that wonderful tool !

Thanks again for all the great job you did and are still doing :-)

Emmanuel

Ubuntu 11.10 X86_64 / java version "1.6.0_23"
Post by: Qwlciguk on December 04, 2011, 07:32:24 pm
FWIW since the comm channel between the PIC and the FPGA was changed from UART serial to SPI, baud rate is not actually used any more.  Set whatever baud rate you like, the data transfers at the same speed regardless.  The PIC still emulates a UART interface, but baud rate is ignored as far as I can tell.

B.B.
Post by: Qwlciguk on December 04, 2011, 08:07:55 pm
I'm seeing an issue when aborting a capture.  I have 16 channels enabled with RLE (so really 15), but I'm only using 4 channels.  I enabled 16 channels to extend the time length of capture with RLE.  Anyway, I arm a capture and the trigger condition happens and you can see that the OLS has detected that by looking at the LEDs on the OLS.  Since the sample rate is only 1 MHz, it can take a long time for the capture to time out when there isn't much activity on the channels.  So, I click on the red circle with the minus sign to abort the capture.  On the older 0.9.4 client, this worked fine.  The data that did get captured is transferred and then displayed immediately.  On 0.9.5b2 version, very little data is displayed, not even the trigger event and the screen is showing almost all gray until I click the button to "zoom to best fit" and then the screen displays the channels, but there is only a very short (10ms) captured time displayed when there should be several seconds shown.  If I let the capture time out on its own, then everything works correctly.  It's not really feasible to wait for the capture to time out naturally, since with a 1 MHz sample clock and 16 channels, it can take upwards of 200 seconds for the capture to finish on its own, assuming that there are only very sparse transitions on the channels.

The problem does not appear to be limited to 16 channels.  It also fails in the same way when setup for 8 or 32 channels, though I can't say for certain that letting it time out naturally with 32 channels works correctly because I got bored while waiting hours for it to finish on its own.

B.B.
Post by: jawi on December 04, 2011, 09:26:43 pm
Hi Emmanuel,

[quote author="Codeine"]I just downloaded some minutes ago and tried release 0.9.5b2
if I try to use my serial port at a speed upper than 230k I got this error in java :
java.lang.IllegalStateException: JTermios call returned -1 at class jtermios.JTermios$JTermiosLogging line 457
...[/quote]

In the 0.9.5 release a new serial library will be used. This library is more actively developed than the former RXTX library, but does not (yet?) allow higher speeds than 115k2 baud. For the final 0.9.5 release, I want to remove those highest speeds, as I do not believe the OLS hardware did ever communicate at speeds higher than 115k2. This would circumvent the issue above...

HtH,
  JaWi
Post by: jawi on December 04, 2011, 09:30:21 pm
Hi B.B.,

[quote author="Qwlciguk"]I'm seeing an issue when aborting a capture.  I have 16 channels enabled with RLE (so really 15), but I'm only using 4 channels.  I enabled 16 channels to extend the time length of capture with RLE.  Anyway, I arm a capture and the trigger condition happens and you can see that the OLS has detected that by looking at the LEDs on the OLS.  Since the sample rate is only 1 MHz, it can take a long time for the capture to time out when there isn't much activity on the channels.  So, I click on the red circle with the minus sign to abort the capture.  On the older 0.9.4 client, this worked fine.  The data that did get captured is transferred and then displayed immediately.  On 0.9.5b2 version, very little data is displayed, not even the trigger event and the screen is showing almost all gray until I click the button to "zoom to best fit" and then the screen displays the channels, but there is only a very short (10ms) captured time displayed when there should be several seconds shown.  If I let the capture time out on its own, then everything works correctly.  It's not really feasible to wait for the capture to time out naturally, since with a 1 MHz sample clock and 16 channels, it can take upwards of 200 seconds for the capture to finish on its own, assuming that there are only very sparse transitions on the channels.[/quote]

Can you provide me the console logs? And a project file with the little data you've acquired? I want to see what is going on after the 'cancel acquisition' is performed...

In RLE mode, after hitting the 'cancel acquisition', a "finish now" command should be issued to the OLS hardware. In non-RLE mode, the device is simply reset.

Edit: hmm, it appears there's a bug in my client causing this behavior. Will fix this for the upcoming 0.9.5 release...
Post by: dion on December 09, 2011, 03:09:55 pm
feature request please...

could you put input box in i2c protocol analyzer dialog box for starting and ending timeline?
so that it only analyze in that range of time?
Post by: Qwlciguk on December 09, 2011, 04:26:22 pm
You can limit the analysis area by placing cursor 1 and cursor 2 encompassing the area of interest.

B.B.
Post by: dion on December 09, 2011, 04:53:57 pm
[quote author="Qwlciguk"]You can limit the analysis area by placing cursor 1 and cursor 2 encompassing the area of interest.

B.B.[/quote]

ah, thanks. i never knew that ;)
Post by: jawi on December 09, 2011, 05:23:49 pm
See also the FAQ (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/FAQ#wiki-Tools) for that; if anything is missing, don't hesitate to ask for it to be added...
Post by: Qwlciguk on December 12, 2011, 03:26:47 am
There seems to be a bug in the time scale when setup for 200 MHz sample rate.  It's there in 0.9.4 and 0.9.5b2.  All times are 1/2 of what they should be.  Easy to see with a 1 MHz signal captured at 100 MHz and 200 MHz.  The 100 MHz capture shows 1 us period, but the 200 MHz capture shows 0.5 us period and the measure tool claims a frequency of 2 MHz.

The issue seems to be limited to RLE mode.

B.B.
Post by: jawi on December 13, 2011, 12:03:52 pm
[quote author="Qwlciguk"]There seems to be a bug in the time scale when setup for 200 MHz sample rate.  It's there in 0.9.4 and 0.9.5b2.  All times are 1/2 of what they should be.  Easy to see with a 1 MHz signal captured at 100 MHz and 200 MHz.  The 100 MHz capture shows 1 us period, but the 200 MHz capture shows 0.5 us period and the measure tool claims a frequency of 2 MHz.

The issue seems to be limited to RLE mode.[/quote]

Are you able to provide me with a project file of this? I remember there was a discussion with David Francis some time ago about this which I couldn't reproduce locally. If you can provide me with a valid capture file, I can build a test on this...
Post by: Qwlciguk on December 13, 2011, 04:09:51 pm
[quote author="jawi"][quote author="Qwlciguk"]There seems to be a bug in the time scale when setup for 200 MHz sample rate. It's there in 0.9.4 and 0.9.5b2. All times are 1/2 of what they should be. Easy to see with a 1 MHz signal captured at 100 MHz and 200 MHz. The 100 MHz capture shows 1 us period, but the 200 MHz capture shows 0.5 us period and the measure tool claims a frequency of 2 MHz.

The issue seems to be limited to RLE mode.[/quote]

Are you able to provide me with a project file of this? I remember there was a discussion with David Francis some time ago about this which I couldn't reproduce locally. If you can provide me with a valid capture file, I can build a test on this...[/quote]

Ok, find 2 files attached.  Both are 1 MHz signal with one capture at 200 MHz sample rate and the other at 100 MHz sample rate.  The 100 MHz sample rate capture shows the correct 1 MHz frequency for the signal, while the 200 MHz sample rate capture shows the signal as 2 MHz.

These were captured with 0.9.4 since I can't download 0.9.5b2 from your site here at work due to it being flagged as malicious content!  In any case, it behaves the same between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5b2.

B.B.
Title: OLS client 0.9.5 released!
Post by: jawi on January 08, 2012, 12:53:52 pm
Hi all,

After some delay, I've finally released the final 0.9.5 version of my client!

See topic start (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198&p=12425#p12425) for download links.

A highlight of changes included in the release:

Thanks to everybody for testing the beta's and providing me with details on issues they've faced!

Work on the next release is already started, I'm planning to shorten the release cycle a bit to provide new functionality earlier...
Post by: Flavor on May 10, 2012, 05:10:09 am
I just tried 0.9.6 on Win7 today.  After capturing, the GUI usually got messed up and was unusable.  I had to go back to 0.9.5.
Post by: jawi on May 10, 2012, 09:07:32 am
@Flavor: sorry to hear it isn't working out of the box for you. Could you post me a screenshot with the messed up screen?
Post by: Flavor on May 10, 2012, 03:26:54 pm
Yeah, I figured you might ask for that, and I thought I could get you a screen today, but I don't have the Sniffer with me.  :(

What it looked like was that the main decode screen wouldn't paint properly.  You know, like when a Win app doesn't refresh the screen, sometimes only a square of it paints.  I think it was the part that was behind the capture setup window.

After that, if you would scroll, it would repaint the entire screen, but I'm not sure it was painting the right thing, because the data looked useless.

Also, I think it didn't have colors like 0.9.5 does.  If I don't get you a screenshot in a day or so, bug me.  I don't know if I can do it tonight.
Post by: Flavor on May 11, 2012, 05:54:54 pm
Okay, I got some screenshots.  I'm not sure how best to present this, so here's my attempt.  Keep in mind that 0.9.6 seems entirely unusable to me, while 0.9.5 seems perfectly useful.

Note:  There are no probes hooked up.  The pins are just floating around.  I couldn't get 0.9.6 to do the thing where it only painted part of the screen, but it still does crazy stuff.  I can't tell if it's just the visual that messed up or if it's actually capturing bad data.  I expect (based on how the trigger behaves) that it's actually capturing fine.  Also keep in mind that MOST of my captures with 0.9.6 just show all ZEROs.  I had to work it a while to come up with 1s.

Capture 1:

Here's a shot just after I captured some "interesting" data. 
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... apture.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture.jpg)

After that, all I did was ctrl+tab to a different window and ctrl+tab back.  It looked like this.  Notice that the summary stayed the same, but the channel data changed.
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... d-back.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-tabbed-to-different-window-and-back.jpg)

Then I zoomed to original and then back to best fit.  All the data is gone.
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... st-fit.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-zoomed-to-original-and-then-back-to-best-fit.jpg)

Capture 2:

Here you can see that I'm going to wait for a 1 on channel 0.
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... -setup.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture2-setup.jpg)

Right after hitting the capture button, here's what we see.  Where's the 1?
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... ptured.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture2-captured.jpg)

Maybe we are just zoomed too far out.  We'll zoom in ALL the way and jump to the trigger moment.  Nothing.
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... moment.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture2-zoomed-all-in-to-trigger-moment.jpg)

Capture 3:

To contrast the above, let's look at 0.9.5 to show that things do work on my hardware.

Wait for a 1
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... -setup.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-095-setup.jpg)

The result
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... ptured.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-095-captured.jpg)

Capture 4:

The previous capture only showed 1s, so we'll change the 0.9.5 capture setup to wait for a 0.
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... -setup.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-095-2-setup.jpg)

and the result
http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/up ... ptured.jpg (http://www.flashmasta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/capture-095-2-captured.jpg)
Post by: jawi on May 12, 2012, 06:59:57 pm
@Flavor: thanks for your detailed report! I'm working hard on fixing all those pesky little repaint bugs; squashed already a lot of them, so expect most of them to be fixed for the upcoming 0.9.6b2...!
Post by: TitanMKD on May 13, 2012, 10:32:53 am
Hi Jawi,

I have just rebuilt the intermediate 0.9.6b1+ (from GitHub) and now cursor and also USART decoder are OK on WindowsXP of course there is still some refresh bug like described by Flavor.
A good stuff will be to use by default same color of each channel like in the v0.9.5.

Best Regards
Benjamin
Post by: jawi on June 21, 2012, 11:33:53 am
Just made the third beta of the upcoming 0.9.6 available; see opening post (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198#p12425) for download links.

(For those that are wondering what has happened to beta 2, it was released, but not publicly. Only a happy few got hold of it as it provided some immediate fixes for them.)

Most of the UI repainting bugs should be squatted by now (at least the most annoying ones ;)), and some small improvements in the look and feel have been made. Also extended the keyboard/mouse control a bit, see this wiki page (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Using-the-client-with-mouse-and-keyboard) for the current bindings and additional information.

With the help of TitanMKD, the SPI decoder tool is now also able to decode dual/quad mode SPI (aka SPIFI). An initial attempt to a Manchester decoding tool is also added, which should work but might need some additional attention before fully usable...

A big 'thank you' to all people who have reported bugs and helped in testing the latest changes!
Post by: voidptr on June 25, 2012, 11:16:27 am
@ Master Jawi  :-)

i took few minutes to play with the new beta2 .
i had many signals to measure ,time and duty cycle,  the new measurement on screen is really awesome !
i managed to lost the measurement side tab at one point tho, it just disappear i tried to find a scenario to
to make it disappear, but i was not able ...  but i was playing with all 3 tabs, and sectioning cursor positions
and resizing the master window...

tabs labels are not displaying correctly,  i used large scale font setting (120 dpi) 'cause i have a  1920x1200 :-)
but this is often a common bug the label is cut at the end ...

i didnt had the time to test other things, maybe this week i will have some time !

Keep the good works !  The next stable version will be awesome !
Post by: alexli on June 26, 2012, 12:56:25 pm
hi, jawi

Is there an easy way to modify the ols software with other languages instead of English. It would be helpful for engineers around world.
Post by: jawi on June 26, 2012, 01:47:03 pm
@alexli: no, unfortunately, there's no easy way of doing this in the current client. Have given it some thought though, but since nobody requested it, left it for what it was. So, feel free to issue an improvement request, if you like...

@voidptr: thanks for giving the last beta a go. Will take a look at the DPI problem you mentioned, as well monkey testing the tool-window bar...
Post by: arhi on June 26, 2012, 04:04:44 pm
hm, translate what :D

@jawi, question .. do you think it would be too much work (haven't looked at the source and you mentioned some refactoring) to support more then one device in the same time ...

for e.g. I have 2x obls's and 1x logic shrimp, what I'd like is to fetch data from all 3 devices into same screen and have option to allign then (move channels from one device left/right related to other devices) so I can for e.g. set
- start shrimp "now"
- start obls1 when xyz trigger is recognised
- start obls2 when yyd trigger is recognised

when all 3 devices finish load all data into same screen, make sure width of the signals is according to scanning frequency (all 3 devices can scan at different frequencies, different settings, different no of channels) and then move data left right for each device ... then I can for e.g. have shrimp get some "crude" data in long run, one obls run at high speed and other one at lower speed with different number of channels and different rle settings ... I could even setup for e.g. obls2 to trigger on something that will be after obls1 finished etc etc ...

just idea :D

one other question, how separated is your layer that communicate with obls? how hard would be to add a second device (also serial comm) that would use a completely different protocol ?
Post by: alexli on June 27, 2012, 12:27:05 pm
I tested the new beta in Windows XP, and the picture is below. Some summary value missed. Should be there a scope wave?  I thought the wave should be a saw-teeth like.

[attachment=0]
Post by: jawi on June 27, 2012, 04:39:59 pm
@alexli: if the text for a summary doesn't fit between the bars, it is omitted to reduce visual clutter. Zoom in for the text to fit.
As for the scope signal, I'll look into that...
Post by: jawi on June 27, 2012, 04:45:45 pm
[quote author="arhi"]@jawi, question .. do you think it would be too much work (haven't looked at the source and you mentioned some refactoring) to support more then one device in the same time ...

for e.g. I have 2x obls's and 1x logic shrimp, what I'd like is to fetch data from all 3 devices into same screen and have option to allign then (move channels from one device left/right related to other devices) so I can for e.g. set
- start shrimp "now"
- start obls1 when xyz trigger is recognised
- start obls2 when yyd trigger is recognised

when all 3 devices finish load all data into same screen, make sure width of the signals is according to scanning frequency (all 3 devices can scan at different frequencies, different settings, different no of channels) and then move data left right for each device ... then I can for e.g. have shrimp get some "crude" data in long run, one obls run at high speed and other one at lower speed with different number of channels and different rle settings ... I could even setup for e.g. obls2 to trigger on something that will be after obls1 finished etc etc ...[/quote]

Had to give your proposal a good thought, as to what the implications are and how far from the current implementation it stands. As it turns out, it is doable, but needs some modifications done to the current code (it only expects one acquisition to be performed at a single moment in time). However, it should be doable to coerce multiple captures into a single view. Perhaps a nice idea for a small proof of concept somewhere in the near future. I'll keep you posted on this...

[quote author="arhi"]one other question, how separated is your layer that communicate with obls? how hard would be to add a second device (also serial comm) that would use a completely different protocol ?[/quote]

it is rather easy to add another device to the software that doesn't speak OBLS; as long as it outputs something that comes close to what the client needs (that is, discrete timestamps and sample values). What did you had in mind...?
Post by: Randy on June 28, 2012, 03:32:05 am
Nice work as usual Jawi.

I have a few observations for 0.9.6-b3.

When I open any of the analyzer tools I get a "Something unexpected happened" message.  Usually if I close the dialog box, the tool seems to work.  The error message says:

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at nl.lxtreme.ols.client.signaldisplay.SignalDiagramController.setSelectedChannel(SignalDiagramController.java:455)
   at nl.lxtreme.ols.client.signaldisplay.view.SignalView$MouseHandler.mouseMoved(SignalView.java:542)
   at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseMoved(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
[/size]
When displaying captured data, the display does not show any data after the last high to low or low to high transition.  Here is an example of a capture that lasts about 12 seconds but the data stops at the falling edge of channel 0:
[attachment=1]

If I add another signal to channel 1, using the same triggering and sample rate I can see the entire capture like this:
[attachment=0]

The "Zoom to best fit" button does not work unless the displayed is "zoomed in".  If a new capture causes the display to be "zoomed out" you must zoom in first the use the "best fit" button.

I too, don't see anything in the scope view but I don't really use it.

I really like the addition of the DMX analyzer.  We use DMX in a lot of applications where I work.

My tests are done on a PC running Windows 7 Pro and I observed the same issues on my PC running XP Pro at the office.

Again, I appreciate all of your hard work.  If I can supply more details if it will help.

Randy
Post by: jawi on June 28, 2012, 09:35:37 am
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the report!

The stack trace you've observed and the capture issues are already fixed (found them also while testing locally). As for the zooming issue, I'll look into that (I've seen similar results as well).

Good to hear the DMX analyzer is of use to you, I only had a couple of traces I could test with, so if you could give it a spin to verify it is working, I would really appreciate that!
Post by: Randy on June 28, 2012, 03:45:40 pm
Sounds like you are on top of things.

I have done a brief test of the DMX analyzer and it seems to work.  For future consideration I can give you a list of things a DMX user would measure.

Mark before break time
Break time
Mark after break time
Start code (first byte)
Break to break time (frame rate)
Framing errors (two stop bits)
Mark between bytes

Decoding the data is a big plus but the more of these other things that can be automatically measured, the better.

Thanks,
Randy
Post by: Gridstop on July 10, 2012, 01:24:41 am
Hey jawi, I finally got a chance to test out b3.

Everything looks really nice so far. I did encounter one bug that was driving me crazy until I got out a voltmeter and checked manually...

There seems to be a rendering glitch that a single DC signal (3.3v on channel 0) is drawn as a continuous low instead of continuous high. Here's the contents of the save file:

;Size: 1
;Rate: 50000000
;Channels: 8
;EnabledChannels: 255
;Compressed: true
;AbsoluteLength: 24575
;CursorEnabled: true
00000001@0

which pretty clearly shows it did record a '1' for the entire trace on channel 0, but draws the trace low along with channel 1,2,3,etc...

Keep up the amazing work.
Post by: jawi on July 10, 2012, 09:14:40 am
Hi Gridstop,

Apparently, I've fixed this issue already in the latest version; the data file shows a continuous high level on channel zero, and a continuous low level on the other channels. So, consider this issue fixed!

Thanks for the report (and sorry about the frustration it caused ;))
Post by: alexli on July 20, 2012, 12:19:46 pm
the analog scope function still does not work?
Post by: jawi on July 20, 2012, 04:41:34 pm
@alexli: it does now; hadn't yet time to look into this...
Post by: alexli on July 23, 2012, 12:45:37 pm
thanks! it works greatly!
Post by: alexli on July 25, 2012, 08:52:16 am
A small wish: I think that the "ShowBundles" function in "Help" menu is not necessary for common users. Could be there a "Show User Manual" item under "Help", when clicked, a manual.pdf could be opened by acrobat reader or other pdf file tools in user's PC? People on our forum would help finish this manual.
Post by: jawi on July 25, 2012, 04:12:27 pm
@alexli: if I've got a manual to point to, then I'm happy to implement this feature. Could you make a feature request for it on GitHub?

@MickM: seems doable; if you don't mind, I'd like to postpone this to the 0.9.7 release. As for the channel colors, you can provide your own channel colors by means of a simple text file; I'm intending to write a short how to on the OLS wiki on how to do this...
Post by: sevenstring on August 15, 2012, 08:45:11 am
hello,

just right now, I am testing it with a machester coded data but it seems that the signal is not being decoded properly. am using 0.9.6b3
Post by: jawi on August 15, 2012, 09:35:26 am
[quote author="sevenstring"]hello,

just right now, I am testing it with a machester coded data but it seems that the signal is not being decoded properly. am using 0.9.6b3[/quote]

Good to hear! :)
I've only got a very limited set of test data for the manchester decoder. Would it be possible to obtain a trace of the encoded data and some details as to find out what the root cause might be?
Post by: alexli on August 16, 2012, 11:31:11 am
Is that  a small bug when plotting the analog waveform? It should be a simple saw-tooth wave. This happened accidentally, not always.

[attachment=0]
Post by: alexli on August 20, 2012, 04:04:45 pm
[INFO] Installing nl/lxtreme/ols/tool/linedecoder/1.0.0/linedecoder-1.0.0.jar
[INFO] Writing OBR metadata
[INFO]
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building OLS Serial Console Tool 1.0.0
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-clean-plugin:2.4.1:clean (default-clean) @ serialconsole ---
[INFO] Deleting D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.serialconsoletarget
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.5:resources (default-resources) @ serialcons
ole ---
[debug] execute contextualize
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.ser
ialconsolesrcmainresources
ialconsolesrcmainresources
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) @ serialconsole
 ---
[INFO] Compiling 4 source files to D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.serialconso
letargetclasses
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.5:testResources (default-testResources) @ se
rialconsole ---
[debug] execute contextualize
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
ialconsolesrctestresources
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:testCompile (default-testCompile) @ seria
lconsole ---
[INFO] Compiling 1 source file to D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.serialconsol
etargettest-classes
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-surefire-plugin:2.7.2:test (default-test) @ serialconsole ---
[INFO] Surefire report directory: D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.serialconsol
etargetsurefire-reports

-------------------------------------------------------
 T E S T S
-------------------------------------------------------
Running nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.serialdebug.StringInterpreterTest
Tests run: 10, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.234 sec <<< F
AILURE!

Results :

Failed tests:
  testInterpretEscapedDigitsOk(nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.serialdebug.StringInterpreter
Test): expected:<[?]> but was:<[?]>
  testInterpretHexDigitsOk(nl.lxtreme.ols.tool.serialdebug.StringInterpreterTest
): expected:<[?]> but was:<[?]>

Tests run: 10, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0

[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] OLS Reactor POM ................................... SUCCESS [1.140s]
[INFO] MyDoggy Library ................................... SUCCESS [11.078s]
[INFO] OLS Framework API ................................. SUCCESS [31.047s]
[INFO] OLS Utilities ..................................... SUCCESS [28.906s]
[INFO] OLS Testing Utilities ............................. SUCCESS [15.782s]
[INFO] OLS Logging support ............................... SUCCESS [1.640s]
[INFO] RxTx Serial library (RxTx version) ................ SUCCESS [1.703s]
[INFO] OSGi I/O-connection service ....................... SUCCESS [8.516s]
[INFO] Background Acquisition Service .................... SUCCESS [2.016s]
[INFO] Generic Task Executor Service ..................... SUCCESS [4.281s]
[INFO] OLS Swing client .................................. SUCCESS [12.844s]
[INFO] Client Project Manager ............................ SUCCESS [6.609s]
[INFO] OLS Test Device ................................... SUCCESS [2.391s]
[INFO] OLS Generic Device ................................ SUCCESS [1.875s]
[INFO] OLS OpenBench LogicSniffer Device ................. SUCCESS [9.781s]
[INFO] OLS Tool Base ..................................... SUCCESS [14.094s]
[INFO] OLS 1-Wire Analysis Tool .......................... SUCCESS [6.437s]
[INFO] OLS Asm45 Analysis Tool ........................... SUCCESS [5.469s]
[INFO] OLS I2C Analysis Tool ............................. SUCCESS [13.312s]
[INFO] OLS JTAG Analysis Tool ............................ SUCCESS [3.266s]
[INFO] OLS SPI Analysis Tool ............................. SUCCESS [5.328s]
[INFO] OLS State Analysis Tool ........................... SUCCESS [1.860s]
[INFO] OLS UART Analysis Tool ............................ SUCCESS [8.843s]
[INFO] OLS DMX512 Analysis Tool .......................... SUCCESS [10.594s]
[INFO] OLS Line Decoder Tool ............................. SUCCESS [3.703s]
[INFO] OLS Serial Console Tool ........................... FAILURE [5.016s]
[INFO] OLS Image Exporter ................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] OLS Value Change Dump Exporter .................... SKIPPED
[INFO] OLS CSV Exporter .................................. SKIPPED
[INFO] OLS Runner ........................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] OLS Main Distribution ............................. SKIPPED
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 3:41.985s
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Aug 20 21:54:30 CST 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 146M/989M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.
7.2:test (default-test) on project serialconsole: There are test failures.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] Please refer to D:Program FilesGitcmdolstool.serialconsoletargets
urefire-reports for the individual test results.
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit
ch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea
d the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/disp ... FailureExc (http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureExc)
eption
[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command

[ERROR]  mvn <goals> -rf :serialconsole

I tried to "mvn clean install" the software, but mvn failed. Please help me how to solve this problem. Thanks!
Post by: jawi on August 20, 2012, 07:03:08 pm
@alexli: it should build fine now. I'm already busy with some functionality for the next release (0.9.7), got an itch that need scratching ;)

As for your scope problem: dunno why that happens. Do you have a capture file for me?
Post by: alexli on August 21, 2012, 05:02:24 am
I downloaded the software and built again, but it still failed with the same error report. I thought the serial console was newly added and might need more check. I could go back and use the 0.9.6b3, it was fine enough and I waited for the 0.9.7.

A question, since I have no IR TOY, Bus Pirate and other sump compatible device except the sniffer, could I remove the "Generic I/O" and "Test Device " in the device menu and the "Bus pirate","Logic shrimp","IR TOY"...in the Connect dialog by modifying and compiling  the ols software?
Post by: jawi on August 21, 2012, 08:58:05 am
[quote author="alexli"]I downloaded the software and built again, but it still failed with the same error report. I thought the serial console was newly added and might need more check. I could go back and use the 0.9.6b3, it was fine enough and I waited for the 0.9.7.[/quote]

The master (or 0.9.7) is barely started in development. It will take a while before it will be released. In fact, I need to release the final version of the 0.9.6 first...

[quote author="alexli"]A question, since I have no IR TOY, Bus Pirate and other sump compatible device except the sniffer, could I remove the "Generic I/O" and "Test Device " in the device menu and the "Bus pirate","Logic shrimp","IR TOY"...in the Connect dialog by modifying and compiling  the ols software?[/quote]

You do not need to modify anything in the code self to do that: you simply remove the files "test-1.0.0.jar", "generic-1.0.0.jar" from the [tt:]plugins[/tt:] directory to remove the "Test Device" and "Generic I/O" devices. To remove the SUMP-compatible devices, you can remove the "ols.profile-buspirate.cfg", "ols.profile-irtoy.cfg", "ols.profile-shrimp.cfg" and "ols.profile-sump.cfg" files from the [tt:]plugins[/tt:] directory.

This begs the question though: why do you want to do this? Any particular reason for this?
Post by: alexli on August 21, 2012, 10:37:07 am
This begs the question though: why do you want to do this? Any particular reason for this?

Well, I was very curious of the way  your software built  and try to understand the whole structure. When I read the mainframe.java and stopped at this line "this.deviceMenu.addMenuListener( new DeviceMenuBuilder( this.controller, this ) ); ". I knew the devices is a List type value, but had no idea how and where this value loaded up automatically.  If I knew the way it does, I could practice to add or remove new member. :)

A small bug report:

When i used the OLS, with original sump logic,

Recording Size 128K, Trigger ratio 50/50, worked correctly.
Recording Size 256K, Trigger ratio 50/50, worked incorrectly, there was no pretrigger data showed. I captured the wrong command using LA.

128K, Trigger ratio 50/50, Set Read & Delay Count command was 0x81 0xFF 0x7F 0x00 0x40, while
256K, Trigger ratio 50/50, Set Read & Delay Count command was 0x81 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF, it should be 0x81 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0x7F.
Post by: jawi on September 09, 2012, 11:42:33 am
@alexli: I've created https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues/116 (https://github.com/jawi/ols/issues/116) for your bug report.
Post by: jawi on September 09, 2012, 11:53:06 am
Its a beautiful day here in the Netherlands. Before I go out and enjoy it, I've uploaded a new release of the OLS client: 0.9.6 is final (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198#p12425)!

A small summary of changes:

Development on the next version is already started. For starters, it will include a serial console that allows you to debug serial communications (a la Tera Term). Also, support for the long awaited HP16550 style triggers is under development...

Enjoy this new version!
Post by: ian on September 10, 2012, 05:15:57 pm
Woohoo! New signal display component. I hope you enjoyed a sunny Sunday :) I'll get this posted up.
Post by: alexli on September 11, 2012, 06:47:00 am
Congratulate to jawi and have a happy try. :)

a small bug  for device type: original sump logic,

I used a 1MHz square wave to test the software, and the following was the measurement report:
sampling rate,        3 measurement: frequency
200M                                        1M
100M                                        1M
50M                                          500K
20M                                          200K
10M                                          100K
5M                                            50K
2M                                            20K
...                                            ...

the waves looked good, but the measured frequency was decreased proportional to sampling rate. While i use "Device type: open bench logic sniffer", the software worked normally. The reason might be that you once modified the sump compatible device module?

Thanks again!
Post by: alexwhittemore on September 11, 2012, 08:47:52 am
Hmm. Using the .dmg, I can't seem to open LogicSniffer.app. I get the error

"LogicSniffer.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.

I'm on Mountain Lion.
Post by: ian on September 11, 2012, 01:43:09 pm
I have not used it for captures, but I did view someone's logic capture for debugging. Worked and looked amazing. Set lots of pointer, scrolled and zoomed. Very nice.
Post by: arhi on September 12, 2012, 01:32:35 pm
works great .. few hints

- when you try to zoom out too much you have a bug (left edge is sucked in)
 - cursor view, the small tab with cursor data, it would be cool to show delta between two consecutive cursors
 - scrolling, it would be cool to have on the left and right edge of the signal display a "button" that allow you to "scroll to next change"

superb work so far
Post by: jawi on September 14, 2012, 05:52:56 pm
[quote author="alexli"]Congratulate to jawi and have a happy try. :)

I used a 1MHz square wave to test the software, and the following was the measurement report:

the waves looked good, but the measured frequency was decreased proportional to sampling rate. While i use "Device type: open bench logic sniffer", the software worked normally. The reason might be that you once modified the sump compatible device module?
[/quote]

The code is the same for all SUMP-compatible devices; only some configuration is different. So, I do not have a clue as to why the configuration for the original SUMP device yields different results than for the OBLS. Is this behavior reproducible, Alex?
Post by: jawi on September 14, 2012, 05:55:32 pm
[quote author="alexwhittemore"]Hmm. Using the .dmg, I can't seem to open LogicSniffer.app. I get the error

"LogicSniffer.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.

I'm on Mountain Lion.[/quote]

Odd. The DMG opens just fine on my machine. I'm still on Lion, though. One thing I saw was that Chome mentions it downloaded it from dangerousprototypes.com? Did you try to download it from my site, ols.lxtreme.nl?

Anyway, I'll ask a colleague of mine who's on ML to check it as well... Thanks for mentioning it!
Post by: jawi on September 14, 2012, 06:00:39 pm
[quote author="arhi"]works great .. few hints

- when you try to zoom out too much you have a bug (left edge is sucked in)
 - cursor view, the small tab with cursor data, it would be cool to show delta between two consecutive cursors
 - scrolling, it would be cool to have on the left and right edge of the signal display a "button" that allow you to "scroll to next change"

superb work so far[/quote]

- drats; I thought I'd nailed that bug!
- isn't the delta in the Pulse counter section of the measurement tab enough? ;)
- there's a keyboard shortcut for that: CTRL + <left> and CTRL + <right>, see also: this page (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Using-the-client-with-mouse-and-keyboard).

Thanks for the hints!
Post by: alexwhittemore on September 14, 2012, 06:41:41 pm
[quote author="jawi"]
Odd. The DMG opens just fine on my machine. I'm still on Lion, though. One thing I saw was that Chome mentions it downloaded it from dangerousprototypes.com? Did you try to download it from my site, ols.lxtreme.nl?[/quote]

Yeah, you've uploaded the same actual thing to both places, so trying both now, they do the same thing. The fact that it mentions being downloaded by chrome from here is a function of the new Gatekeeper system. Which, incidentally, causes newly downloaded unverified apps not to run. But that's not what's happening here. I'd be surprised if you had to recompile USING a ML system, though, that seems a bit silly.

EDIT: Huh, this is totally peculiar. ML's Gatekeeper says if something is newly downloaded, allow it to run based on your security preferences, which can be "run only app store apps," "run app store apps and those from trusted developers," or "run any apps." The default is the second, which you'd think is unacceptable, but on a one-off basis, you can actually run any app by simply right clicking and selecting open - it overrides the setting. In any event, the dialog box you get when trying to run a non-trusted app the first time is NOT the one I posted above.

BUT, some people are saying that error magically goes away if you set the above option to "allow any app." So I did, and now magically, it launches no problem. See http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=265089 (http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=265089). Weird.

Indidentally, I get the attached java error trying to launch the app from the .DMG, but then running apps from the .dmg is very often bad, so that's no surprise.
Post by: arhi on September 14, 2012, 06:53:37 pm
[quote author="jawi"]
- isn't the delta in the Pulse counter section of the measurement tab enough? ;)
[/quote]

it is, but it's nice to see it in the cursor tab too, I reckon it's not more then a few minutes to add :)

[quote author="jawi"]
- there's a keyboard shortcut for that: CTRL + <left> and CTRL + <right>, see also: this page (http://https://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Using-the-client-with-mouse-and-keyboard).
[/quote]

it's what I need only it's not that accessible as a small hover at left and right end of the signal trace :D, maybe I'm just too spoiled by the saleae logic interface only :D ... this already works sooooo good
Post by: alexli on September 15, 2012, 02:54:55 pm
[quote author="jawi"][quote author="alexli"]Congratulate to jawi and have a happy try. :)

[/quote][/quote]

sorry for reporting this problem, I have solved that. It was due to my wrong configuration. :)

As for the bug issue 116, I checked your java source file. 

In the SumpCommandWriter.java, you set "final int maxSize = 0x3fffc;", that is 262140. I tried to change it 0x3ffff, but failed the maven building test. At last I had to changed the "device.capturesizes " in the ols.profile-sump.cfg  file, from "262144" to "262140". The trigger function worked correctly. :)

I thought there must be a limit value in the maven test file, that made my modification failed through the maven building process.
Post by: adamc on September 19, 2012, 03:10:26 pm
Thanks for the awesome work on the software jawi!  I've just got one question - how can we modify the colour of the channels and have the colour settings persist? I read somewhere that there's a file you can edit to change the colours, but I'm  not sure which file to change, nor the syntax.  Thanks for your help!

Adam
Post by: jawi on September 22, 2012, 09:51:40 am
[quote author="alexli"]As for the bug issue 116, I checked your java source file. 

In the SumpCommandWriter.java, you set "final int maxSize = 0x3fffc;", that is 262140. I tried to change it 0x3ffff, but failed the maven building test. At last I had to changed the "device.capturesizes " in the ols.profile-sump.cfg  file, from "262144" to "262140". The trigger function worked correctly. :)

I thought there must be a limit value in the maven test file, that made my modification failed through the maven building process.[/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out; I'll use it to review the code once again...

As for the Maven tests: you can skip the tests by adding [tt:]-DskipTests[/tt:] to the maven command, ie.: [tt:]mvn -DskipTests install[/tt:].
Post by: jawi on September 22, 2012, 09:58:53 am
[quote author="adamc"]Thanks for the awesome work on the software jawi!  I've just got one question - how can we modify the colour of the channels and have the colour settings persist? I read somewhere that there's a file you can edit to change the colours, but I'm  not sure which file to change, nor the syntax.[/quote]

Double clicking on the channel label opens the properties for that channel, here you can edit the color for that particular channel.

Unfortunately, I just saw that the chosen colors aren't persisted properly. So, that's one bug I've to solve for the next release. Alternatively, you can create a custom color scheme by copying one of the existing color schemes ([tt:]ols.ui.colorscheme-<name>.cfg[/tt:] in the plugins folder. For example, [tt:]ols.ui.colorscheme-rainbow.cfg[/tt:] is quite well documented to quickly create your own color scheme with individual colors per channel.
One hint: you can leave the client running while tweaking the color scheme. The only thing you need to do is to choose it again from the preferences to activate it...
Post by: jawi on October 29, 2012, 09:59:00 am
For all Linux users that were having troubles using the latest OLS client, I've released a service pack for 0.9.6 (OLS v0.9.6 SP1) that should fix this issue, see viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198&p=12425#p12425 (http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198&p=12425#p12425).

Thanks for all the bug reports and sorry for the inconvenience!
Post by: Flavor on November 10, 2012, 04:56:12 am
Could I make a feature suggestion?  I would really like a way to group lines together to see their byte value instead of them separately.  I know you can do this for each "group" (0, 1, 2, or 3), but I'd like to do it for things that may be less or more bits than 8.

What I mean is that maybe lines 0-3 are address lines.  If I don't have exactly 8 addr lines, then I can't easily group them.  The same would go if I had a system with data[0..7], addr[0..16], and a few control lines.  It just doesn't fit well.

How about being able to define a group to something other than exactly 8 bits?  It would be fine if they had to be contiguous.

If this can be done another way, please let me know (unless the answer is to tie a bunch of lines to gnd).

Oh, and a bug I noticed today when I tried the 0.9.6.1 was that the height of the lines was taller.  Changing the labels and the heights on each item was a pain (compared to the 0.9.5 interface of all the labels on one screen).  On my laptop, I would like lines 0-15 to all be on the screen (which they are in 0.9.5).  On the new one, I had to edit the height of each item.  Then, when I captured, the heights all changed back to the default (and I changed back to 0.9.5).

If I could group things, I wouldn't care so much about the height.

Thanks!
Post by: jawi on November 14, 2012, 04:18:45 pm
@Flavor: have you tried dragging a channel from one group to another? That's one of the new features introduced in 0.9.6.
Post by: Flavor on November 14, 2012, 04:46:47 pm
I have not.  I'll have to mess with that a bit.
Post by: alexli on November 21, 2012, 09:24:15 am
hi, jawi

Can the decoder, such as I2C decoder, export the data in HEX format (0xAB, 0xCD), instead of ascii value? You see, when i opened the i2c.csv, the data can not be shown correctly.
[attachment=0]
Post by: jawi on November 21, 2012, 09:16:27 pm
@Alexli: you're right, that's really weird. Could you raise an issue on GitHub for this?
Post by: jbuszkie on February 26, 2013, 09:07:47 pm
[quote author="jawi"]@Flavor: have you tried dragging a channel from one group to another? That's one of the new features introduced in 0.9.6.[/quote]  Can you create channel groups?  Using RLE I'm only using 2 groups..  but I'd like to have more than  2"Groups" to arrange some of my signals into byte (or parts of bytes...)

Also..  is the home key supposed to work?  I press the home key and nothing happens.

Also..  I see that there seem to be "Hot keys" for setting cursors that also don't seem to work.  I really like the idea of being to set a cursor by just hitting the number of the cursor where the mouse is..  When I right click to set a cursor the is a hot key listed which gives the appearance that they should work..  Has this not been implemented?

and BTW...  Awesome job on this!

EDIT:  It seems like the home key doesn't work if I hit some other key first..  Like if I hit "1" to try to set a cursor, then the home key doesn't work any more...
Post by: jawi on August 12, 2013, 02:50:26 pm
Starting the week with a fresh new release of the OLS client: 0.9.7 is released (http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1198&p=12425#p12425)!

A summary of changes for this release:

Although the progress is rather slow lately, the development still continues.
Thanks everybody for their support and interest in the project, and happy hacking!
Post by: molleb on August 24, 2013, 11:36:08 am
Hallo
Thank you very much for this update.
I hope the analyser of Can/LIN is in relaese/dev., i need this...
Is more analyser in planing?
Your Software ist very nice.
Is a real capture in slow time possible, for real anayling?

grezz Molle
Post by: aventuri on October 16, 2013, 04:15:05 pm
[quote author="alexli"]hi, jawi

Can the decoder, such as I2C decoder, export the data in HEX format (0xAB, 0xCD), instead of ascii value? You see, when i opened the i2c.csv, the data can not be shown correctly.
[attachment=0][/quote]

i see that the CSV is still carring the data ascii value.

for having the HEX code, the quickest hack i found is to change data conversion in file: I2CProtocolAnalysisDialog.java

i commented out the conversion to char and made it a conversion to "HexString":

//final String data = ds.isEvent() ? "" : Character.toString( ( char )ds.getValue() );
final String data = ds.isEvent() ? "" : Integer.toHexString( ( int )ds.getValue() );

now the CSV file shows:

"index","start-time","end-time","event?","event-type","data"
"0","200.00 ns","160.20 μs","false","","ba"
"1","170.40 μs","170.40 μs","true","ACK",""
"2","180.20 μs","340.40 μs","false","","e8"
"3","350.60 μs","350.60 μs","true","ACK",""
"4","360.40 μs","520.60 μs","false","","2"
"5","530.60 μs","530.60 μs","true","ACK",""
"6","598.80 μs","759.00 μs","false","","ba"
"7","769.00 μs","769.00 μs","true","ACK",""

hope it helps..
Post by: jawi on September 11, 2014, 11:49:58 am
For those that are trying my client on recent Java versions: I've made a new release (0.9.7 SP1) that fixes the issues you are experiencing. See http://ols.lxtreme.nl (http://ols.lxtreme.nl) for more information and download links.
Post by: truckmonth on October 06, 2019, 09:38:47 pm
Are these releases still accessible?

I checked the project page on github and didn't see any prebuilt binaries on the releases tab, and I managed to see was 0.96.1
Post by: truckmonth on October 07, 2019, 02:01:06 am
Logic Sniffer client (http://ols.lxtreme.nl) is a fork of the SUMP logic analyzer client that is actively developed here in the forum.

This is the preferred client for the Logic Sniffer.

Latest release are available here, as well as news, screenshots and other information:
<!-- m -->http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/)<!-- m -->

Bugs, feature requests and other improvements can be issued through GitHub:
<!-- m -->http://github.com/jawi/ols/issues (http://github.com/jawi/ols/issues)<!-- m -->

Some frequently asked questions can be found on:
<!-- m -->http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/FAQ (http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/FAQ)<!-- m -->

The roadmap (in progress) can be found on:
<!-- m -->http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Roadmap (http://github.com/jawi/ols/wiki/Roadmap)<!-- m -->

As of release 0.9.5, a change log file is also included in the distribution itself:
<!-- m -->https://github.com/jawi/ols/blob/master ... /CHANGELOG (https://github.com/jawi/ols/blob/master/ols.distribution/src/main/resources/CHANGELOG)<!-- m -->

• September 11th, 2014: OLS v0.9.7 SP1 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7.1-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7.1-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7.1-full.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7.1-api.zip)). Allows the client to run on recent Java versions;
  • August 12th, 2013: OLS v0.9.7 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7-full.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.7-api.zip));
  • October 29th, 2012: OLS v0.9.6 SP1 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6.1-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6.1-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6.1-full.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6.1-api.zip)). Fixes the capturing issues on Linux;
  • September 9th, 2012: OLS v0.9.6 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6-full.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.6-api.zip));
  • [s:]June 21st, 2012: OLS v0.9.6 BETA 3, (ZIP, DMG, API);[/s:]
  • [s:]May 4th, 2012: OLS v0.9.6 BETA 1, (ZIP, DMG, API);[/s:]
  • January 8th, 2012: OLS v0.9.5 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.5-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.5-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.5-full.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.5-api.zip));
  • [s:]November 25th, 2011: OLS v0.9.5 BETA 2, (ZIP, DMG, API);[/s:]
  • [s:]November 20th, 2011: OLS v0.9.5 BETA 1, (ZIP, DMG, API);[/s:]
  • May 3rd, 2011: OLS v0.9.4 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.4-full.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.4-full.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.4.dmg), API (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.4-api.zip)) release;
  • February 7th, 2011: OLS v0.9.3 SP1 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.3.1.tar.gz), (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.3.1.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.3.1.dmg)) release. Some critical fixes for capturing under Linux; disk-image fixed for OSX and other startup issues;
  • [s:]February 6th, 2011: OLS v0.9.3, (ZIP, DMG) release;[/s:]
  • [s:]January 31st, 2011: OLS v0.9.3 BETA 6, (ZIP) beta release. Fixes all(?) capture problems on Windows platforms;[/s:]
  • [s:]January 29th, 2011: OLS v0.9.3 BETA 4, (ZIP) beta release;[/s:]
  • [s:]January 28th, 2011: OLS v0.9.3 BETA 3, (ZIP) beta release;[/s:]
  • December 19th, 2010: OLS v0.9.2 (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.2.tar.gz) (ZIP (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.2.zip), DMG (http://ols.lxtreme.nl/ols-0.9.2.dmg)) released;
  • November 1st, 2010: OLS v0.9.1 released;
  • October 23rd, 2010: OLS v0.9.0 released;

just a heads up some of the links formatted in the first post of this thread have an extra,

http// 

in the link, preventing them from loading.

And per my previous comment I was able to find the bundled DMG of the OLS 0.9.7. SP2, but seems to have some issues when pressing the command key, ⌘