Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 817790 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #5220
Hello Catear !

I plan on getting a Unisolder readymade (from tindle) and a good custom transformer (I know a good factory that makes toroidal transformers in my country).

It is going to be a gift.

Modding it so it can properly "do" 48v + C470 cartridges would make it even more awesome gift, methinks, and from reading the thread (okay, most of it ;) ) I've gathered you've succeeded at doing exactly that.

Unfortunately from reading your posts I didn't quite comprehend the full scope of such mod (which components need to be replaced? etc.)

When you have time, would you be so kind as to document / explain / photo your mod, so I can reproduce it, hopefully without breaking anything?

In fact, the 48V C470 current is not much larger than 245, but smaller, 250/48=5.2A, the circuit board can withstand this current, and there is a 36V voltage regulator in the front of the voltage regulator chip, which can ensure the main The power supply of the control board circuit is normal, but you need to pay attention to the withstand voltage value of the resistance in front of the Zener tube, and the withstand voltage value of some devices that have passed the voltage of 48V. It needs to have a withstand voltage of 80V or above to ensure that the circuit can be under 48V. Work normally without being burnt

Reply #5221
Hello Alexandra, you have a nice plan and gift ahead.
1) I am still waiting a reply from LoveDIY for my faulty PCB.
2) I am still waiting for the parts I have ordered to maybe fix my new Tindie PCB at my expense.

I read a post similar to yours from JANE and that what triggered me to buy a ready one. Today I can confirm it was a mistake, unless you here to promote lovediy pcb I would suggest to ask if you can buy something better even if u pay little more from other members.

Reply #5222
Hi!
I am not affiliated with any tindie seller (that place was just the only one I googled up where populated Unisolder PCBs were on sale)

I am now wary of tindie (thanks for the warning!) and would very much appreciate pointers as to where to buy a fully populated Unisolder kit (I'm not cool enough to properly populate one myself, I'm pretty sure I'll end up buggering something up, potentially destructively)

Maybe Catear would be so kind as to sell a set with the 48v/C470 mod already "baked in"  :D ?

Hello Alexandra, you have a nice plan and gift ahead.
1) I am still waiting a reply from LoveDIY for my faulty PCB.
2) I am still waiting for the parts I have ordered to maybe fix my new Tindie PCB at my expense.

I read a post similar to yours from JANE and that what triggered me to buy a ready one. Today I can confirm it was a mistake, unless you here to promote lovediy pcb I would suggest to ask if you can buy something better even if u pay little more from other members.

Reply #5223
I can highly recommend "vulkan35", who is selling fully populated PCB's from time to time in another thread in this forum.

Reply #5224
Hello Everyone,

I am compiling a database of JBC handles and cartridges. As this database should contain tc and heater data, I'm currently sifting through the internet to find such data.
The iron.c seems to have a fair amount of data on JBC handles and I guess i could calculate the tc and heater resistance from this data. Can someone quickly tell me how I can calculate these two data from the iron.c array values?

Thanks very much!

1. You cannot calculate the resistance from the iron.c You can measure it with a multimeter.
2. The C1 parameter on the profiles is millivolts to degrees Celcius coefficient for TC sensor, or resistance (in omhs) to temperature coefficient for resistive sensor, if it is linear. In other words, if the TC is giving for example 1.5mV, and C1 is 123, the temperature is 1.5*123=184.5 degrees Celsius above the cold junction (room) temperature. C0 is the offset - it is usually 0 for TC sensors.

For profiles with many coefficients, it is a polynomial instead, so C1 does not give the complete picture. The temperature is calculated this way:

t = c0 + (x^1)*c1 + (x^2)*c2 + (x^3)* c3.....

, where t is the temperature in degrees Celsius, and x is either millivolts fom the TC or ohms from resistive sensor. The coefficients are either given for a specific senssor from it's manufactuurer, or calculated by polynomial regression tool from measured or provided data for resistance or TC voltages at different temperatures. Here's pretty nice online tool for polynomial regression calculation from given data: https://arachnoid.com/polysolve/

Reply #5225
1. You cannot calculate the resistance from the iron.c You can measure it with a multimeter.
2. The C1 parameter on the profiles is millivolts to degrees Celcius coefficient for TC sensor, or resistance (in omhs) to temperature coefficient for resistive sensor, if it is linear. In other words, if the TC is giving for example 1.5mV, and C1 is 123, the temperature is 1.5*123=184.5 degrees Celsius above the cold junction (room) temperature. C0 is the offset - it is usually 0 for TC sensors.

For profiles with many coefficients, it is a polynomial instead, so C1 does not give the complete picture. The temperature is calculated this way:

t = c0 + (x^1)*c1 + (x^2)*c2 + (x^3)* c3.....

, where t is the temperature in degrees Celsius, and x is either millivolts fom the TC or ohms from resistive sensor. The coefficients are either given for a specific senssor from it's manufactuurer, or calculated by polynomial regression tool from measured or provided data for resistance or TC voltages at different temperatures. Here's pretty nice online tool for polynomial regression calculation from given data: https://arachnoid.com/polysolve/

Is the C210 profile polynomial?

Reply #5226
Look in iron.c - linear type. Changing C0 move all graphic up and down without changing the curve (in relation to  Temp ), changing C1 make that by little complicated way ( changes slope ) and that way changes curve ( for a polynomial curve ). Mainly we need to change C0 with help from C1 no other parameters are required for a small compensation

Reply #5227

All profiles are polynomial, but if all other coefficients but c0 and c1 are zero, the polynomial is linear - in other words just calculated from an offset and linear slope.

Reply #5229
Hi Catear,

On my T210 iron it's even more obvious: At Sleep Temp, the firmware switches between HT and ST constantly, causing constant beeping:

https://youtube.com/shorts/VBfNn3cyi1Y?feature=share

Your touch sleep pcb is unstable. It is recommended to replace it with sparky version 339 sleep pcb.

Reply #5230
Hello Catear !

I plan on getting a Unisolder readymade (from tindle) and a good custom transformer (I know a good factory that makes toroidal transformers in my country).

It is going to be a gift.

Modding it so it can properly "do" 48v + C470 cartridges would make it even more awesome gift, methinks, and from reading the thread (okay, most of it ;) ) I've gathered you've succeeded at doing exactly that.

Unfortunately from reading your posts I didn't quite comprehend the full scope of such mod (which components need to be replaced? etc.)

When you have time, would you be so kind as to document / explain / photo your mod, so I can reproduce it, hopefully without breaking anything?

I have something to do these days, I will sort it out and send it to you when I have time.

Reply #5231
Your touch sleep pcb is unstable. It is recommended to replace it with sparky version 339 sleep pcb.
Hi Catear, which HW version of the Contact sensing circuit you found not working with your FW? Can you show us an oscillogram of the output of the sensing circuit or at least a multimeter's readings at the output? Could you explain to us if it is from the contact sensing, why sparky's FW is ok, but your's not?

Reply #5232

There is no PCB available for this one. Do you have a Gerber file that you can share?

Reply #5233
Hi Catear, which HW version of the Contact sensing circuit you found not working with your FW? Can you show us an oscillogram of the output of the sensing circuit or at least a multimeter's readings at the output? Could you explain to us if it is from the contact sensing, why sparky's FW is ok, but your's not?
This is a very simple problem, because the sparky firmware does not display the two states of sleep and hold, and there is no sound prompt, so even if the two states switch back and forth, it is difficult to find from the temperature. We have tested too much With this version of the hardware, only 339 pcb can work stably in the end. If the sleep line and the handle line are separated, the effect will be more ideal

Reply #5234
I have something to do these days, I will sort it out and send it to you when I have time.

Thank you very much!

edit---

P.S.: if possible, please also photo how it's wired up to the transformer, just to make sure I don't screw up something when connecting it

P.P.S.: Would a custom transformer with three secondaries (12v/1A, 28v/6A and 48v/6A) do the trick? The company I plan to order from has such a unit as "leftover" and I might grab it with discount